Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#256223 - 09/27/04 01:35 AM Skagit/Cascade
zambi Offline
Parr

Loc: Longview, Washington
I fished the Skagit up in Marblemount this afternoon. There were a bunch of folks on the Cascade so I headed back to the Skagit for some elbow room. Fished just downstream of the bridge (near the mouth of the Cascade). Didn't get any bites--I know my technique still needs work but I'd like to hear if anyone else on this board was in the area and had any luck. I could see a number of other fisherman throughout the afternoon from my vantage point, but none were close enough to ask how they were doing/what they were using except for a nice guy floating on a pontoon boat who'd had a number of hits w/pink & white corkie setups.

I tried 50/50 Dick Nites, several diff vibraxes (blue, green/black, pink, brass), and corkie/yarn jigs in white, pink, orange, and red. I know, I know... I have to put in my time on the rivers before I catch anything, so no complaints here. Just want to find out if I should be trying anything else.

#256224 - 09/27/04 01:56 AM Re: Skagit/Cascade
Anonymous
Unregistered

Zambi,

There's lots of fish in the river, but I think many have moved up to the Cascade or the other small tribs.

I fished Rockport yesterday AM with my dad and brother, got -0-. One fellow, fishing by the bridge, said he had 4 (him and his son)..but I never saw one caught, and there were many people fishing, on both sides of the river.

Fished down here at Concrete yesterday afternoon and evening. Didn't see but one fish roll, and we tossed everything in the bag at them. Drifted eggs, tossed spoons, spinners, corky/yarn, etc. (even tried a Dick Nite under a float). Nada, and I fished some great Coho water.

Fact is, to catch them they have to be present. They weren't where we were.

Lots more coming, and it's still early for them...the best part of the run doesn't start till mid-Oct, generally.

There's always tomorrow..:-)

Mike

#256225 - 09/27/04 12:08 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
zambi Offline
Parr

Loc: Longview, Washington
Thanks--I just wanted to make sure I wasn't totally off... sounds like I had the right things in mind.

#256226 - 09/27/04 12:26 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
Titanium Cranium Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim
I'd have to attribute it to "it's still a little early", to save my on psychy. I ran a sled from Fabers Landing below the Sauk up to the Chapel hole (Marblemount) and fished the river damn hard. We were on several hundred fish during the day, most moving through I think. Drove us crazy - between two of the three of us in the boat there were over 80 years of experience on the Skagit so it wasn't for lack of experience or trying. We threw everything at them. We changed techniques through out the day and shifted from spoons to spinners to worms to corkeys and bait. I only had one solid hit during the entire day, using a dink float and a chartruese tinged Wicked Willey. Mid October, weather permitting, will be much better.

#256227 - 09/27/04 02:42 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
TC, you see a handsome fella on a blue cataraft? \:D

#256228 - 09/27/04 03:10 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
Lunch Time Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Well....... I'd have to say the fish are in. Numbers? Thats questionable. Yesterday, we fished from Marblemount to Birdsview. The group (four) managed to hook 12, landing six. Three wilds, three hatchery, all chrome. Half were hens. We hit all the fish from Howard Miller up, and we were banking it. All on Eggs.

LT

#256229 - 09/27/04 04:10 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
LT
I thought your were a fly fisherman?

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#256230 - 09/27/04 05:57 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
Lunch Time Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Homer - it takes a special cure, one that stays on when I false cast. ;\)

#256231 - 09/27/04 06:49 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
KerryS Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA
LT,

Let the skeins dry a little longer then you would normally, then use 6/0 thread to attach to #4 Alec Jackson hook. The fly guys will not notice the difference.

Don't try in fly only water. The gamies have caught on.

#256232 - 09/27/04 07:08 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
LT

I just had to say it!

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#256233 - 09/27/04 09:33 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
fishbreath Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham,WA
We didn't do so good today. Put in at Bug Launch in the lower river and fished for about five hours. Didn't see anyone catch a fish nor anyone who said they did. Even saw an Indian that said it was VERY slow. During the entire fishing trip I only saw two fish roll. Not so good for the Skagit. Visibility sort of sucked too, only about two feet.

#256234 - 09/27/04 10:36 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
Lunch Time Offline
Juvenille at Sea

KerryS - your onto me like stink on sh_t.

U2 homer, The real me is out, "Cheese Chucker!!"

LT

#256235 - 09/28/04 12:46 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
Skagit native Offline
Egg

Loc: Mount Vernon
The fishing hasnt been terrible, we have managed to get two a piece each time out. I am going out again tonight, and then all day Friday Saturday and Sunday for the Derby. Good luck to all.

#256236 - 10/01/04 02:26 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fishing is starting to pick up here in the mid/upper river. The natives were netting the last couple days (all over and across, etc.). I believe they are done for a couple days, now.

Went 1 for 3 on the early AM bite today. Started at 6:45 and the bite was over by 7:05. Prior to that, the action was pretty hot.

Brought the first fish to the bank, a bright 7 lb. buck (tonights dinner) and then three casts later missed the hook-set on one, then about 5 min. later hooked an fought the best fish of the day, was bringing it to the beach and it came unbuttoned... \:o Was a 10 lb.+ hen...and I saw that the hook was just barely hanging on and tried to get her to some shallower waters...wasn't to be.

Working on the boat today, chines going on, seats getting their final coats of varnish. Too much to do and not enough time to do it! (and yep, I'm fishing tonight too!)

Mike

#256237 - 10/01/04 05:27 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
Mike B - Were you fishing in front of your house?

#256238 - 10/01/04 06:23 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
Anonymous
Unregistered

Plunker:

Close. My house was 1 lot west of where I was at. (The next house upriver. ) My neighbors frog water holds more fish than mine.. \:D

Was that you in the sled that came by about 7:30?

If that was you, I really appreciated your courtesy in running the other side of the river.

How'd ya do?

Mike

#256239 - 10/01/04 07:30 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
JohnnyCoho Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Rockport,WA,USA
Ya hit it just right this morning Mike!! Upper Skagit was in Primo shape ealry this morning, even below the Sauk, and fishing wasn't bad either,......................

....UNTIL ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!!!

They flat arse opened the dam up today and there was debris coming from all over the place. Chased us all the way down to Concrete before we finally decided to call it quits today. Flows went from just under 5,000 to 7,750 by the time we called it quits.

This should bring some fresh fish into the system for sure though!! Have heard of quite a few rolling around on the North Fork slowly making their way up.

"Life is short. Never pass up a hug. Look children in the eye when you talk to them. Bend the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile."

#256240 - 10/01/04 09:23 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
I saw that on the charts Johnny. A good flush should be a benefit up there but the timing was surprising. They claim that the Baker dam will shut down for the weekend but we will see about that tomorrow.

That wasn't me in the sled Mike. I seldom venture that far off the bank but boats going by have seldom been a bother for me. I do occasionally fish across from you though. Lots of good plunking water there.

#256241 - 10/01/04 10:31 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
Anonymous
Unregistered

Plunker:

Well heck, so close and ya don't even holler a "Hello"?

There is some great plunking water just downriver on our side. Drop me a PM sometime and lets go get some fishies..

Tonight was a bit better than most evenings lately (whcih showed -0- hits or fish). Did have one strike tonight..missed 'em.

We'll see what they morning brings. Plan to be tossing the first cast about legal light time.

Mike

#256242 - 10/01/04 11:34 PM Re: Skagit/Cascade
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
I just looked at the graph and they are spilling a lot of water. Nice timing...not. If they maintain the pattern they'll drop it over night and then spill more late morning tomorrow. We'll see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
free time, greenlayoid, Kokanee Kids, Lisa Tyree, SpinyRay
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 986 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645426 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |