This is the netting schedule as of 10/5/04

Non-tribe: Chehalis River

October 8, 14, 22, 23, 27, 28, 29

Tribe: Chehalis River

October 10, 11, 12, 13, 17,18,19, 20, 21

Tribe: Humptulips and Area 2C

October 6, 7, 8, 9, 14, 15, 16, 22, 23,
November 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

WOW---How about this, once they start netting, the ONLY days where there are NO NETS in the river, in October, will be the 9, 24, 25, and 26.

Hope your September and so far October fishing was super.........cause it might be awhile before any amount of fish are available for sports people.

WDF needs to take a close look at the amount of sport fishing pressure in Grays Harbor and the dollars generated locally. 28th Street, Cosie, Friends Landing, Montasano and Fuller Bridge have had many sport fishermen.......Does the Chehalis system really need Tribe and Non-tribal commerical gill netting??????

"worse day sport fishing, still better than the best day working"

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#257180 - 10/05/04 07:39 PM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
shoemaker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Scratch
Thats is a pretty grim schedule for sports fishermen. Will they be netting in the johns river mouth area? Has anybody seen any big fish out of the chehalis yet?

#257181 - 10/05/04 08:19 PM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
Paranoid Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Snohomish
Once again it appears that the rain was a week or so early. Lots of fish at John's River and 28th Street but not many in the system. Very few chinook to be seen and fewer coho as of yesterday. I am afraid that if we don't get an inch or so of rain prior to the 10th these staging fish will once again be sitting ducks. What a great disapointment! I am just about fed up with the way these fisheries are managed.

#257182 - 10/05/04 09:21 PM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

as long as the state stays afraid of the tribes the sportman will get screwed everytime.....

mainly region 6

#257183 - 10/05/04 11:54 PM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hate to point this out but there have been consistent surpluses of coho at all Grays Harbor hatcheries for several years now... so tell me how the commercial net schedule equates with poor sport fishing opportunity for coho???

#257184 - 10/06/04 12:31 PM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

PacificNW,

Hatchery surplus is not the yardstick to use if wild salmon represent society's values. The key question is: are there consistent surpluses of naturally spawning coho in all the Grays Harbor tributaries? If so, then arguably, the commercial net fishery is not adversely affecting recreational fishing opportunity, provided there are always season long openings for recreational fishing. If not, society should examine its priorities and adjust fish management accordingly.

I suppose it's an unfortunate aspect of recreational fisheries on non-feeding migratory fish that a large abundance of fish is necessary in order for sport fishing to be productive. Managing for maximum, or even optimal, net harvests, with minimum escapements, is an indication that recreational fishing is an afterthought, at most.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#257185 - 10/06/04 12:49 PM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
That schedule is pretty agressive if ya ask me.
Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#257186 - 10/06/04 05:05 PM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

your right there strike zone! its way to agressive.. look how many days the tribe gets around the mouth of the Hump area... Hope we start getting some major rain to help the fish get up the rivers...

mainly region 6

#257187 - 10/06/04 05:12 PM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
stlhd_dreaming Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: maine
My question is when they do there quotas for returning fish to rivers do they include the gill netters into those returns or do they take away a few thousand fish from those predictions

#257188 - 10/07/04 12:52 AM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
Anonymous
Unregistered

Salmo - I could not agree more. The Grays Harbor streams are managed for wild fish escapement. The trick has always been to maximize harvest rate on hatchery returns while, often, minimizing the harvest rate on wild returns. In Grays Harbor there is some timing separation between the bulk of the hatchery coho (earlier) and the bulk of the wild coho (later). There are exceptions of course. Everyone knows about the late timed Satsop hatchery coho.

But my point is, despite the period of intensive net fisheries that seem to upset so many people, the surplus of hatchery coho had to swim by a lot of sport fishermen to get to the hatchery. Thus, the opportunity was there, regardless of the harvest conducted by the treaty and non-treaty gillnet fisheries.
I felt this point needed to be made because one user group will typically looks to the other user group as the reason the "catching" part of their fishery did not go so well when, in fact, there is often no relationship at all.

Strike Zone - It may seem aggressive. But I say again... those hatchery coho had to go past all the fisheries to become surplus at Humptulips Hatchery, Lake Aberdeen Hatchery, Satsop Springs and Bingham Creek Hatchery.

Steely Slammer - see above.

Stlhd Dreaming - All terminal area fisheries are part of the annual pre-season fishery management planning effort conducted by the co-managers. There is a series of public meetings that WDFW structures for anglers such as yourself to voice their views as part of that process.

#257189 - 10/07/04 11:53 AM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Yah, they had to go by us with out being able to fish them until the 1st or even the 16th of October when it should have been opened the 1st or 15th of September.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#257190 - 10/07/04 06:36 PM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
shoemaker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Scratch
Get 'em while you can...Had a great day out today. Multiple take downs and a 24.5 and a 31 in the box. I fish out of a 16 ft tiderunner cuddy w/115 yamaha FS. I think ive been seeing you guys out there. Good luck

#257191 - 10/07/04 08:44 PM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Salmo G.:

You have all the answers......then tell me this:

1. How many states still allow "in river" gill net fishing, by non-tribal fishermen????

2. Our neighbors to the north, did away, or almost eliminated gill net fishing.........why then does this state continue this way of fishing?????

Seems to me its way past time for this state to join the rest of the nation.........and stop non-tribal gill netting.

Have a good day!!!!!!!

"Worse day sport fishing, still better than the best day working"

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#257192 - 10/07/04 11:22 PM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Quote:
Originally posted by STRIKE ZONE:
Yah, they had to go by us with out being able to fish them until the 1st or even the 16th of October when it should have been opened the 1st or 15th of September.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
Amen Brother Amen!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#257193 - 10/07/04 11:29 PM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Lifted from another thread:

The non-tribal (politically correct version for "white boys") nets will fish 12 hr periods from 6am to 6pm seven days in October:

Fri 8th,

Thur 14th,

Fri 22nd,
Sat 23rd,

Wed 27th,
Thu 28th,
Fri 29th.

Combined with the tribal netting above, nets will be deployed a total of 19 days in October. There will only be 12 net free days in the month:
1-7, 9, 15-16, 30-31.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#257194 - 10/08/04 10:22 AM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
Anonymous
Unregistered

So what I am getting out of all these comments about the net fisheries is that the sport opportunity is somehow diminshed as a result of that fishery, correct? Otherwsie there would be no comments.

So, one way to interpret these comments is to suggest that the sport fishing opportunity needs to be enhanced by eliminating the net fisheries and INCREASING the surplus at the hatcheries???

Not buying it.

#257195 - 10/08/04 11:08 AM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
Captain Q Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Let the non-tribals take fish at the hatcheries!

NO IN-RIVER NETS!

#257196 - 10/09/04 07:49 AM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
AJ Hartwell Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
Where can you go to find these netting schedules? Are they posted for all of the rivers on some site that the state maintains or something?

Thanks,

Aaron

#257197 - 10/09/04 02:21 PM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

As much as the days listed for netting, I am equally interested in WHERE the netting will take place. In looking at the WDFW page regarding tribal/ non-tribal net schedules they mention things like "area 2A, 2B...etc" then, they only give geographic descriptions for some of the areas but not all.......unless I missed something. A few years ago, they used to have a map of the harbor showing the different zones but I don't see it anymore.......too useful for us I guess!

It's frustrating because if we know what areas the nets are in, we can avoid them and fish other spots as opposed to going out on a whim and "being surprised"

#257198 - 10/09/04 06:08 PM Re: Grays Harbor---Netting Schedule
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Aaron Hartwell,

Here is the link to a release from WDFW Region 6.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/tribal/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 172 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |