THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#262933 - 12/01/04 02:24 AM Does the Fish Flash work?
Armblaster Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Lynnwood, Wash
Does it Work and what is the Best one to Use, At Johns River, Columbia, the Ocean ect ..Looking to give some as a X-mas Gift.. Thanks

#262934 - 12/01/04 02:35 AM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
Yes they work, that's all we used on the columbia, the silver&dark green was the hot ticket trolled with a herring, out of four rods that had different colors on the second day that color had 18 hook ups compared to three on the other rods, guess who had the dark green&silver, hope this helps Doug

#262935 - 12/01/04 02:37 AM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Yes, they work.

The bigger, the better.

Any color will do.... as long as it's green ;\)

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#262936 - 12/01/04 03:38 AM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
BennyBlack Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Yeah, the dark green ones with the red eyes, like the others said.

I used both the smaller and larger ones this year for the first time with exceptional results.

Good flashers IMO.

#262937 - 12/01/04 08:17 AM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
I ama believer too but like the large red ones for Johns River...they cost too much though

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#262938 - 12/01/04 09:38 AM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Tried them for the first time on the Columbia River this fall.

I like the medium in red. \:\)

#262939 - 12/01/04 09:43 AM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
havnfun Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacomca,wa,pierce
u can send some to me for christmas I like them. big fishies like them also. used them for springers and in the ocean.

#262940 - 12/01/04 09:44 AM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
salmonbelly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kirkland, Wa USA
They work for springers at Cathlamet and elsewhere too. They work in the ocean also - as I recall FishNg1 got a monster king while using one. Another variety I've had success with is a spinning type attractor called a Kone Zone. It's similar only it doesn't wobble, just rotates. I've caught several springers using one and tried one successfully a couple weeks ago for blackmouth.

#262941 - 12/01/04 10:24 AM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
Asteiger Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Los Angeles
The fish-flash is awsome! That was the go to flasher when chasin springers down on the columbia! My avatar (cathlamet springer) caught on a fish-flash. Definetely worth checking out!

skeets

#262943 - 12/01/04 11:12 AM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I have fun with the medium size prizm and chartrues on all of those fisheries mentioned.
Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#262944 - 12/01/04 01:36 PM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
bear Offline
Parr

Loc: federal way
My stocking is hanging in the charles st. truck shop.

#262945 - 12/01/04 02:59 PM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
Blaster,

If you're buying Big Al's FFs as gifts, make sure they are the newer ones with the BB swivel in front. The old ones had a bead-chain.

#262946 - 12/01/04 03:29 PM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
MaxMad Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: "the middle kingdom" aka Cheha...
be sure to get the good fish flash:

Ocean Westport: big or medium red one in am w/cut herring in am for kings; med. green in PM for silvers, every once in a while switch over to the disco flash --> we first started using the flash in the ocean about 3 or 4 years ago & they have consistently blown away cut herring by itself

Bouy 10: Red (any size) for bouy ten

Johns River: No Flash...
Cathalamet: No FLash....

#262947 - 12/01/04 08:39 PM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Not sure what the affection is for red FF's. At 13 ft or deeper, it just goes black! Not saying they won't work at deeper depths.... they just won't appear red anymore. If they are truly that effective maybe they should be marketing a Black/Silver FF... but probably wouldn't sell as well from a marketing point of view... need those bright colors to lure the fisherman.

Actually, black is a great color, and highly visible, especially if the fish is looking up from below. One of the most effective colors we have used for Apex's in the ocean and in the bay is black/scale/pearl. Probably a good color for an attractor like the FF.

FYI, my most productive color FF this fall was one we call "Ginger"... a custom creation that's half bright green scale, half chartreuse scale, with deep metallic blue stripes. She scored 60-80% of the hits in my boat, and that's fishing four rods at a time.

Needless to say, Ginger now has three identical sisters.... can't wait for salmon season 2005!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#262948 - 12/01/04 09:14 PM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
has anyone used the glow in the dark fish flash for black mouth? i plan on running the fish flash off the downrigger wire and then running a swimmertail jus above it about 5 feet up the cable and out about 15 feet behind the fish flash..

#262949 - 12/01/04 10:49 PM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
I started using the red Fish Flash at Grays Harbor after watching notable guides such as Mike Kelly who consistently catch fish when others did not. The common denominator was a red Fish Flash. The color red in that fishery shows up in the low visibility and usually the fishing depth does not exceed 26ft. I don't think I agree with the loss of color as shallow as 13'...I would buy 40' which is deeper than most of the Grays Harbor fishery. I think Slab's recommendation on the new ones with the ball bearing swivel is excellent as well.

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#262950 - 12/01/04 11:12 PM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
If fish can see ultraviolet rays through the water like the way they are beginning to think, red is still red underwater.
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#262951 - 12/01/04 11:57 PM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
(Think fish vision here...) Ultraviolet rays are the only "light" source that penetrates through deeper water. In order for a fish to see the lure in "natural" color (i.e., red), the lure itself must be conducive to emitting a ultraviolet source back before the end of the color's wave length. If not, all colors turn gray at the end of their wave length.

I only know of one tackle manufacture that has taken UV serious for salmon fishermen- Radiant (Canada).

As far as a FF for blackmouth, I have had mixed results. I have used the glo version in front a spoon and just don't have enough confidence in the deeper water. When fishing shallow, (<70') the FF really produces well. Especially during the sand lance spawn. I'll run a Coho Killer about 30" behind the FF.

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#262952 - 12/02/04 12:03 AM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
I like the Fish Flash. Usually run the large blue one on my gear. One of the posts said to make sure you get the new ones with the ball bearing swivels - that is a good idea.

For what it is worth, I run a Sampo ball bearing swivel on my main line, then a Luhr Jensen trolling rudder that is connected to the Fish Flash swivel. This really cuts down on the potential for line twist.

It is a lot more fun to play a fish using the Fish Flash as opposed to a ProTroll, Hot Spot Coyote flasher. I do like the ProTroll e-chip flasher, though. During my last few days at Sekiu in September, the ProTroll (large green) took 60% of the fish. I was running a green Hot Spot on the other rod.

If you don't mind the

#262953 - 12/02/04 12:15 AM Re: Does the Fish Flash work?
jimh Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Area 8-1 to 13, WA
I've caught/released kings and silvers in Puget Sound using Al's Fish Flash. I have silver mediums 8 " or so with green or red eyes and run a coyote spoon behind them. I've caught fish from 40 to 120 ft with them. I haven't seen the glow ones, but now that I know they exist, I may try them! \:\) Otherwise, I use the Jim's Breakaway Flasher in Glow/Chartreuse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (seabeckraised, stonefish), 1024 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |