Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#264847 - 12/25/04 09:16 PM Daiwa Laguna 2500
Index Hooker Offline
Smolt

Loc: index
Does anyone else have these reels and think they just SUCK!

today was the last straw. i was caught on the bottom so i reeled down and give it a yank, well the reel starts to free spool and the handle is spinning and whacks my finger hard enough to give me a bruse.
this is not a one time thing, they just start to free spool alot, meny times durrung a day fishing. if i remeber right while chongo was bringing in a #5 dollie useing one of my rods it did it to him and he got his knuckles smacked.

when they let go it has nothing to do with the switch, it's still in a locked position.

anouther thing that blows with these reels is after you cast and you snap the bail down the line likes to make a loop around the bail so when you reel it feels like your line has twisted around the pole somwhere.

this problem is not to bad for me becouse i use them enough to know what it is and fix it quick. customers on the other hand have no clue to what going on and are looking up and down the rod trying to find where it's tangled while the fishing gear gets stuck on bottom. i've lost alot of gear this way over the last year.

and problem #3 is when you reel in your gear the round nut that holds the reel handle on unscrews. if your drift fishing or float fishing and reeling your gear in fast at the end of your drift you need to tightin the reel up ever 2-3 casts.

now if your thinking that i might have just gotten a bad one you could be right. that is if i only had one that does this, but no, i have 6 and they all do this.

these reel are crap in my opinion and would highly recomend that no one buys them.

OK, now let hear from every one saying "i got one and love it"

---------------------
Pete

fish till it hurts. then fish more.

born 2 row.

#264848 - 12/25/04 10:19 PM Re: Daiwa Laguna 2500
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
"I have one and love it" \:D

Actually, I used to love it. I've had it for over 2 years and used it for sidedrifting and pitching dick nites. I've caught at least 100 fish with that reel and it is still holding up fine. Just give it a little oil here and a little grease there.

I also have 4 Daiwa Regal X 2500's which are similar and they are cheap beater reels but work surprisingly well. I've had a lot more problems with comparably priced Shimano spinning reels which I use for a year or two and then turn into "spare parts".

Don't know why your Laguna is so bunk. That freespool problem you're having is weird. Could be a newer one than mine with different parts. ?????

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#264849 - 12/25/04 10:28 PM Re: Daiwa Laguna 2500
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
I use both the 2500 and 3500 and they are great reels so far. Catch fish, nice drag's, no issues.

#264850 - 12/25/04 11:09 PM Re: Daiwa Laguna 2500
Index Hooker Offline
Smolt

you guys want to trade? \:D

born 2 row.

#264851 - 12/26/04 12:28 AM Re: Daiwa Laguna 2500
Spartan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Little Susitna River
Yeah Index Hooker,
I have all three of those problems you described with my 2500.

As far as the handle screw coming loose, I tighted that bugger down real tight and now its not a problem but i check it allllll the time to be sure.

The line looping on the lil guide on tha bail, its a quick fix that i am sure to check all the time cause it sure would suck to hook into that bigun and bust off cause of a loop!

And the free spooling.....I hooked quite a few Silvers this year to have the reel start going backwards on me with no indication and the anit-reverse switch still in the locked position.

It definitely keeps you on your toes, but I still love the reel but these problems are cronic with me, I have just learned how to deal with em.

\:D

To the tune of "Just keep swimming" sung by Dori in Finding Nemo.

#264852 - 12/26/04 01:01 AM Re: Daiwa Laguna 2500
Index Hooker Offline
Smolt

hey spartin sorry you got the same problems but i sure am glad to hear somone else does.

i seem to have a nack at buying thing that just don't work like they should.

when the reel is working right there nice reels to fish with, but i'm a guide and there are just too meny thing that can go wrong with those reels.

when somone pays to be taken out fishing they should get to use good functioning gear.

born 2 row.

#264853 - 12/26/04 01:03 AM Re: Daiwa Laguna 2500
DocRoe Offline
Alevin

Loc: Canada
Hi Index Hooker,

In terms of your first problem, it just means that you need to clean your antireverse bearing. It has happened to me with Shimano, Quantum, Abu, and Daiwa esp when it's cold. Just clean the antireverse really well, and problem solved.

The other problem with your handle screw untightening has happened to me before too. I just replaced the plastic cap and it was perfect. Never had to tighten it again.

The problem with the line wrapping around your spool only happens to me when I have line with lots of memory, either old line, cold line, or bad line. Never had that problem with new line.

The problems you've listed do not require huge repairs and are common with all types of brands of spinning reels. I had a Shimano Stradic which would nick the line at the bail attachment, which is a major problem. Especially when I found out they have been dealing with this problem for years with the Biomaster prior to US release, renamed Stradic. Some ppl don't have problems with the STradic as I did, but then many others did as well. Quantum had to call back all their Kinetics and Catalysts last year bc of a major antireverse failure problem. So in comparison, cleaning an antireverse bearing isn't that big of a deal.

So just make a couple adjustments and you'll be fine. Daiwa invented the spinning reel and is still at the forefront in terms of technology with their ABS long cast spools, anti-line twist technology, and Air Bails. Quantum has made a lot of headway but their production lines still need better quality control.

Just my 2 cents.

#264854 - 12/26/04 01:39 AM Re: Daiwa Laguna 2500
Spartan Offline
Returning Adult

I'd have to disagree withall three of your fixes. Althoughthey more than likely work, theyare not the answer to why these things happen...I think!

The reel is new so the anti-reverse....should be clean and ready to go wouldn't you think?

Same goes with that lil white washer for the handle. Its new and shouldn't cause a problem???

And the line is new Maxima Perfexion.

I think its just one of those things in a bit of a poor desin maybe?

#264855 - 12/26/04 01:41 AM Re: Daiwa Laguna 2500
Spartan Offline
Returning Adult

Index, as a guide you really can not have these issues, no. folks are payin to fish not to haveto pull the line off the bail, check thumb screw so the handle won't fall off or have to worry about a bck reeling ordeal while fighting that 12lbs steelhead!

#264856 - 12/26/04 02:47 AM Re: Daiwa Laguna 2500
Index Hooker Offline
Smolt

all these reels were new in june and noticed the problems right off.

and the line flipping over the bail was happening yesterday and today and it was a new spool of line i put on before starting yesterday.

thanks for the info and i will give cleaning it a try. can't get worse. right?

born 2 row.

#264857 - 12/26/04 08:30 AM Re: Daiwa Laguna 2500
DocRoe Offline
Alevin

Loc: Canada
Spartan, I did indeed have ALL THREE problems with BRAND NEW reels and found these solutions worked for me. These are solutions given to me by national warranty centers.

Anyways,
If you were using a new reel for the first time in very cold weather, the antireverse could have problems since the grease seizes at cold temps. First time it ever happened to me, I brought it in to the warranty center and they mentioned something about the grease or oil in the antireverse bearing having problems in the cold. They had it done in a day. And that happened to two Stradics and 1 Capricorn. Call your nearest warranty center and they'll tell you the quick fix. I had mine done at Aikman's reel repair, a national warranty repair center for both Shimano and Daiwa. As soon as I mentioned the problem, they didn't even blink and said they would have it done by the next day and that it just needed a cleaning and maybe grease replacement. I didn't really believe them at first myself, but I've never had a problem again with those reels. If you don't believe me, call 905 277 3595, and ask for Sandy, the owner of a national warranty center that services both Daiwa and Shimano. Otherwise, here is a great website about reels and reel problems.....http://p077.ezboard.com/fsandmansmessageboardfrm10

The spool problem did occur with Maxima Perfection. But did not occur with other lines. I had problems with Maxima so I stopped using it. I find Maxima works well with Float reels and less well with my smaller spinning reels. I changed line manufacturers and found the problem was resolved right away.

The handle problem I found on some new reels and not on others. I thought it was a design problem too until I exchanged mine and found the new one had no problems at all. A couple months ago, I noticed that a brand new baitcaster had a very weak spool brake. So I went back and found the other new ones also had weak spool brakes. Called the head office and they said they've had some problems with the wrong washers being sent out. Bad batch. So they sent me the new washers, and my spool brake problem was totally gone. Call Daiwa for a new washer or new handle cap assembly and I'll guarantee the problem will be gone.

#264858 - 12/26/04 10:32 AM Re: Daiwa Laguna 2500
Spartan Offline
Returning Adult

Thats all great info doc and definitely worth the effort in trying to fix the problem.

Can't thank you enough.

<---------- Kokane of course!

#264859 - 12/26/04 02:55 PM Re: Daiwa Laguna 2500
escapee Offline
Spawner

Loc: Marysville, Wa., USA
I have some Regal X-2500's, I think they are great reels for the money, never had any of those problems, unlike my much more expensive Shimanos. I have a Millionaire cvx 253 that would backreel unexpectedly almost from day one. I coludn't fix it myself no matter what I did so I sent it back and got a new one. Never had the problem with the new one.

#264860 - 12/27/04 11:31 AM Re: Daiwa Laguna 2500
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I owned and used a Laguna just once before it broke.

I went back to the store where I purchased it and upgraded to a Capricorn. Never regretted that upgrade.

#264861 - 12/27/04 06:18 PM Re: Daiwa Laguna 2500
RiverLiver Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA,
I have 8 Laguna 2500's on Loomis 1141's and have not had a single problem in 1.50 years of heavy usage. I ran the Daiwa 2500 Regal Z's for 2 years prior to the Laguna's without a problem! However prior to that my Shimono Stratics kept getting line grooves in the bail and caused a few lost fish. So it's Daiwa Laguna's now!

#264862 - 12/27/04 10:58 PM Re: Daiwa Laguna 2500
Index Hooker Offline
Smolt

maybe i gust got a bad batch.

the one that knocked me in the knuckles the other day i took of my bank rod and marked it then stuck on one of my other Laguna. about me third cast i hang up and give it a yank and the thing starts free spooling on me.

guess i'll mark that one too and go on to #3.

born 2 row.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 345 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645367 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |