Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#265027 - 12/29/04 01:30 PM Biological Question for experts
POS Clerk Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Oregon
the following statement is found in a recent report by ODFW
"It is emphasized that regardless of the stage in the life history, a decrease in survival is carried throughout the life cycle. For example, a 15% reduction in egg to emergent fry survival across an entire population would have the same impact as a 15% reduction in over-winter survival of juveniles, or a 15% reduction in marine survival rate, or a 15% increase in the mortality impact of fisheries. In addition, because survival is multiplicative, it is possible to use the results in Table 10 to gauge the net effect of changes in survival at several life stages at once. For example, a 30% decrease in freshwater survival due to habitat modifications on top of a 30% decrease in marine survival would result in an overall decrease in life cycle survival of [1 - (1 – 0.30)(1 – 0.30)] = 0.51 * 100% = 51% . The multiplicative feature of the survival relationship can be used to examine any number of possible combinations of changes from the current assumption about the future of survival through certain portions of the coho’s life history"

I was under the impression that a 15% increase in Egg to Emergent Fry mortality would have virtually no change in adult spawner abundance but a change in marine survival would have the greatest… did I miss something?

#265028 - 12/29/04 01:59 PM Re: Biological Question for experts
Backbouncer Offline
Alevin

I'm no biologist, but it seems to be a simple math problem. I'm not being sarcastic, but I don't understand why one would have a greater impact to your final number than the other. Both sources of mortality should decrease the final population (returning spawners). The multiplicative impact is somewhat intuitive. But what do I know, I'm just a dumb engineer.

BB

#265029 - 12/29/04 06:01 PM Re: Biological Question for experts
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Clerk,

It's true the way it's used in the example illustration. However, context matters. Salmon and steelhead populations are subject to both density dependent and density independent mortalities. The ODFW example is consistent with density independence.

A different outcome would be a coho or steelhead group that suffered a low egg to fry survival, but due to the low fry density, that population segment might have a higher than average fry to parr or smolt survival rate. Funny thing about fish populations; it isn't always simple math. If it was, we'd have right answers more often.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (stonefish, Krijack, steely slammer), 998 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645357 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |