PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
4salt - are you hitting on me??

#265293 - 03/10/04 05:56 PM Re: San Francisco weddings
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
I apologize, then. I obviously misunderstood the context of your message. I agree with your analogy of tolerating your kids' behaviour. I was using it in the sense that although I may not agree with what two consenting adults are doing to one another, I've been taught to tolerate their actions if legal.

I think I see your concerns with that organization promoting their agenda in schools. My kids (teenage boys) and I have a pretty open dialogue about sex related issues so I personally don't worry about an organization like that showing up. My kids already know the differences of orientation and the need to tolerate their peers even if they are different.

I can't imagine a school would invite an organization to lecture to junior and high school students on such a controversial subject without first notifying parents. If the students attended the lecture at an outside venue, then the parents should be involved enough to know where their kids are going. No?

#265294 - 03/10/04 07:20 PM Re: San Francisco weddings
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

I agree. Problem is, they are doing that in our schools, and have programs targeted at K-12.

The group GLSEN has been brought to my attention recently by someone who has kids in a school near me. Apprently they had a "tolerance" video and related materials that they were going to present to the kids during school.

Their way of notification was to include a short notice on a back page of a school news letter that simply said "video" and discussion on "tolerance". Nothing else. A few parents became curious and ended up opening up a huge can of worms.

I don't mean to come across like 'the sky is falling', but after doing some research on this, I'm amazed at what is being targeted at our kids, with the consent and approval of the school\government (in the name of tolerance, most don't bother to look into the details).

#265295 - 03/10/04 08:13 PM Re: San Francisco weddings
Doug P Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Redmond
Phish Phreak, the solution to this problem is to work within the system. You and your neighbors need to ask to speak at the next school board meeting. At that time, request a review panel to screen all new videos . Any guest speakers should be required to produce an outline for review by the committee. The committee should be composed of parents, teachers and board members. This would stop groups like you have mentioned as well as the religious groups from forcing their agendas on a captive group of children. The only exception would be a high school Social Studies elective that parents and students understood was to include controversial topics. Would that be truly politically correct? Dang, did I make a right turn somewhere ?

#265296 - 03/10/04 09:16 PM Re: San Francisco weddings
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Quote:
4salt - are you hitting on me??

Depends.... If you happen to be of the female persuasion and look like Heidi Klum well... just don't tell my wife OK? \:D

You did seem to have... shall we say... an "unusual" preoccupation with all things anal.

#265297 - 03/10/04 09:51 PM Re: San Francisco weddings
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
harley...I went to one of those web sites you suggested and found this:

"Lesbians are just female ***s. They're sinners, too. See Romans 1:26."

Is that true? WOW....

#265298 - 03/10/04 11:09 PM Re: San Francisco weddings
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Wow. Truthfully, I never read much of those sites. Those even make you look liberal, Grandpa.

Phish; sounds to me like the school was WAY wrong for that move. I don't blame parents for being upset when it looks like their being left out of the loop. I also think the parents should be given the option whether their kid should attend or not. Not all kids are ready for that kind of information at the same age and a parent should decide when it's time, not the school.

#265299 - 03/11/04 12:07 AM Re: San Francisco weddings
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Harley - that is exactly my issue.

Doug - that is just what the parents are trying to do (not my kids school this time, but just over the hill). It would be great if it was as easy as that sounds though. I know in some schools it really is - but in others, like the one in question here, it is made very difficult and not encouraged...

#265300 - 03/11/04 01:42 AM Re: San Francisco weddings
Doug P Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Redmond
Phish Phreak, "Vote and vote often", school board members are elected, if they don't listen, work to replace them with someone who does. Besides if you don't , who is going to cancel my" left wing liberal vote." I can see it now, schools teaching kids to be non-judgmental and tolerant of differences.........

#265301 - 03/12/04 12:12 PM Re: San Francisco weddings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good morning. We want to apply for a marriage license."

"Names?"

"Tim and Jim Jones."

"Jones? Are you related? I see a resemblance."

"Yes, we're brothers."

"Brothers? You can't get married."

"Why not? Aren't you giving marriage licenses to same gender couples?"

"Yes, thousands. But we haven't had any siblings. That's incest!"

"Incest?" No, we are not gay."

"Not gay? Then why do you want to get married?"

"For the financial benefits, of course. And we do love each other.

Besides, we don't have any other prospects."

"But we're issuing marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples who've been denied equal protection under the law. If you are not gay, you can get married to a woman."

"Wait a minute. A gay man has the same right to marry a woman as I have.

But just because I'm straight doesn't mean I want to marry a woman. I want to marry Jim."

"And I want to marry Tim, Are you going to discriminate against us just because we are not gay?"

"All right, all right. I'll give you your license. Next."

"Hi. We are here to get married."

"Names?"

"John Smith, Jane James, Robert Green, and June Johnson."

"Who wants to marry whom?"

"We all want to marry each other."

"But there are four of you!"

"That's right. You see, we're all bisexual. I love Jane and Robert, Jane loves me and June, June loves Robert and Jane, and Robert loves June and me.

All of us getting married together is the only way that we can express our sexual preferences in a marital relationship."

"But we've only been granting licenses to gay and lesbian couples."

"So you're discriminating against bisexuals!"

"No, it's just that, well, the traditional idea of marriage is that it's just for couples."

"Since when are you standing on tradition?"

"Well, I mean, you have to draw the line somewhere."

"Who says? There's no logical reason to limit marriage to couples.

The more the better. Besides, we demand our rights! The mayor says the constitution guarantees equal protection under the law. Give us a marriage license!"

"All right, all right. Next."

"Hello, I'd like a marriage license."

"In what names?"

"David Deets."

"And the other man?"

"That's all. I want to marry myself."

"Marry yourself? What do you mean?"

"Well, my psychiatrist says I have a dual personality, so I want to marry the two together. Maybe I can file a joint income-tax return."

"That does it! I quit!! You people are making a mockery of marriage!!"

#265302 - 03/12/04 03:36 PM Re: San Francisco weddings
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

LOL, I read this after I posted on the gay marriange Poll. Seems we were thinking alone the same lines \:\)

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1427 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |