Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#267679 - 06/05/04 08:21 PM The Gipper - gone
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Ronald Reagan passed on today. He had real style and even though I disagreed with him on virtually every major initiative, I truly felt like I would love to have him over for dinner - maybe after fishing with him to catch dinner! We are now down to 4 living ex-Presidents, Ford, Carter, GHW Bush, & Clinton. History will treat this man well...

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#267680 - 06/05/04 10:52 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Rest in peace and blessings to a controversial yet remarkable statesman.

#267681 - 06/06/04 12:45 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
I liked Reagan's style and his Alzheimers hits home with me as my dad went down that same 10 year path to death. It is a horrible way to die by the way and I can sure sympathize with Nancy Reagan for what she endured for 10 years.

We should all be thankful for atleast a couple of things that came out of his presidency, Berlin wall came down and the Soviet Union collapsed. I know there are those who will see nothing good out of partisan bitterness but he was a good man and in my mind a great president.

#267682 - 06/06/04 02:15 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I think R.R. did what he felt was best for the country and that he was a true patriot. I am saddened by his death.

I suspect that like all president's he benefitted from international events that were not under his control and likewise was harmed by similar events that were not of his doing. All in all a good man a true patriot who undoubtedly will go down in the history books as one of the best modern presidents.

To his credit he was a fine communicator. No one since him has had such a way with words and the abiltiy to connect with the people.

#267683 - 06/06/04 02:47 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Reagan will forever be associated with the Berlin Wall coming down and for out-spending the Soviet Union into bankruptcy, thereby "winning" the Cold War long after his record (previous) deficits are forgotten.

I wasn't a Reagan fan, largely because of those economic and his environmental policies. He said cars don't pollute. That was more than just wrong. It was childish, ignorant, and irresponsible for our nation's leader.

I feel for his family that he was afflicted with Alzheimer's. My stepfather died of it last year, and it's a dreadful thing for any family.

His 20th century legacy for the Republican Party will be just as significant as Roosevelt was for the Democrats.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#267684 - 06/06/04 04:29 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
Stew Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Extreme Left of Center
I was not a Reagan fan by any means but I did admire some of his qualities.
He made no bones about who he was! When he was elected we knew what we were going to get and Reagan did not back away from his conservative beliefs.
May he rest in peace

#267685 - 06/06/04 07:20 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
Watching all of the TV highlights of his career, not only as President, but as a human being, father, husband, etc........he was one helluva nice guy. I got misty. Hopefully, there is a river of salmon where he is now and they are biting!

#267688 - 06/07/04 01:23 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

I think the best thing Reagan did, that no president has accomplished since, is give the country a sense of well-being, a sense of optimism. There was some of that in the 90's during the tech boom, but there was also a great partisan divide that continues today. "Read my lips" killed Bush, Sr., Clinton became "Slick Willy," and the State of the Union greatly damaged Bush, Jr., plus he's very reluctant to speak in public.

It would be nice to have another "Great Communicator" in office again, someone to close the ideoligal chasm in the nation. It's somewhat frightening to imagine what it's going to take for that to happen.

#267689 - 06/07/04 02:16 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
Seems like he was liked by everyone except his kids and the extreme left wing. I liked him and agreed with most of his policies.

#267690 - 06/07/04 02:33 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA USA
All of the coverage that I say yesterday had positive things to say about him. It's good to see, that occasionally, this country can put aside differences and focus on what matters. He was the right president at the right time in our history.

Whether it was inevitable that the Soviet union would collapse due to its own economic troubles or if Reagan's threat to build star wars caused the Soviets to realize much sooner that they could not keep up with us, the bottom line is that the Nuclear Arms Race ended much quicker than I ever imagined.

#267691 - 06/07/04 03:11 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
Stew Offline
Returning Adult

Let's keep things in perspective here and look at his domestic policy before we sit him up there with Lincoln and FDR. Great communucator? Yes! No doubt something he learned in Hollywood and it served him well.
Great president? No way!!!
Oh I'm sure they GOP will make every effort to canonize him but the reality of it all is he was the author and originator of "Trickle Down" economics and stuck it to the enviroment and average American big time.

#267693 - 06/07/04 06:24 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
Stew Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Originally posted by AuntyM:
Not the proper time to discuss it Stew.
....sez who?

#267694 - 06/07/04 06:31 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
wildfishlover Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Duvall
Stew ....You truly are filled with partisan hate....pretty pathetic

#267695 - 06/07/04 06:35 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
Stew Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Originally posted by wildfishlover:
Stew ....You truly are filled with partisan hate....pretty pathetic
Why because I say Reagan was a good man, good communicator and straight forward as to his beliefs but I refuse to call him a good president?
Geez whatever happened to opinions around here? Never mind WFL I looked at some of your prior posts and see where you are coming from
May he rest in peace! He was a good husband to Nancy also

#267697 - 06/07/04 07:00 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

My hat's off to Nancy, as well. Taking care of, and protecting a husband with Alzheimers like she did is worth noting.

Those two had a great admiration for one another that clearly showed in public.

#267698 - 06/07/04 09:26 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
I just got home and saw Nancy Reagan with her head laid on her husband's coffin crying. So much reminded me of my dad's funeral after his 10 year long goodbye with Alzheimers. I have also heard people from all political persuasions remembering the good things President Reagan did. I have to come to this BB to hear the almost obligatory partisan jabs and hate for all things Republican regardless of who it is or what they have done. Then to follow it up by the shallow and phony junk about how he was a good man and a good husband is frankly embarassing.

#267699 - 06/07/04 10:30 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I wasn't one of Reagan's fans, but I wouldn't wish his end on anybody.

Reagan was an electric personality, and he had a great sense of humor..........which was robbed from him and his family by a vile disease. My heart goes out to his family.

One of the reasons I disliked Reagan as President was his efforts to stop the stem-cell research that I felt was my best chance at leading a normal life, being an insulin-dependant diabetic. I see that his wife Nancy has become an advocate for federal funding of stem-cell research to stop diseases like diabetes, Alzheimer's, and spinal-cord injuries. I'm glad. She will be a powerful voice, having shown such strength of charachter caring for her husband during his long struggle.

The piece 60 Minutes did on Reagan last night left me feeling like Reagan was a great President........a true leader even if I didn't like his policies.

There was a great quote from Ron......."A great President isn't the one who does the greatest things......he's the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." Now that's a Presidential-style quote.

Looking at the chumps running this time around, you can easily see why Ron will be considered one of the greats.

My best to the Reagan family.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#267700 - 06/08/04 03:21 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

Reagan on the $10 bill? That would be ok with me.

$10 Bill - Reagan

#267701 - 06/08/04 03:26 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
Stew Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff'e'd:
Reagan on the $10 bill? That would be ok with me.

:rolleyes: ...and so it begins

#267702 - 06/08/04 03:36 PM Re: The Gipper - gone
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

and so what begins???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 993 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |