THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#268636 - 07/01/04 12:08 PM George Bush could care less...
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
...but right now at the UW mice with the same same genetic condition my son has (Osteogenesis imperfecta) are being cured (rendered asymptomatic) with a combination of gene therapy and stem cells injected directly into the bone

Will it work for my son? All indications are that it will ......but there is a ban on human stem cell research, isn't there?

I invite all of you Bush apologists to explain to my son why Bush's religious convictions should take precedence over his health.....

Personally I agree with Ron Reagan Jr.....what Righty is really afraid of is that the world will figure out that they are also against in vitro fertilization...not too many religious whackos left who still cling to that kind of archaic mentality are there?

#268637 - 07/01/04 12:45 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland

#268638 - 07/01/04 04:35 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
A response on this is a no win. I hope for the best outcome for your son. Sincerely.

#268639 - 07/01/04 09:02 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
TheKing

quote ; "I hope for the best outcome for your son. Sincerely."

----------------------------------

Dumping Bush would definitely bring hope to many, including Josh. Don't need a weather Man to tell me which way the wind blows."

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#268640 - 07/01/04 09:23 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Stem cell research is a beacon of hope not only for your son, h2o, but for millions of people afflicted with a whole variety of serious illnesses.

I cross my fingers that this lunacy of standing in the way of stem cell research will end some day soon.

Those opposed to stem cell research claim the need for new lines of stem cells would encourage abortion. Bull, it's a red herring.

When your life doesn't depend on this research, it's easy to be against it. When your life depends on it, you tend to take it a little personally when someone dangles that red herring in your face.

The advancement in stem cell research and gene therapy is inevitable. I hope the timeframe allows your son to live a full, happy life Eric.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#268641 - 07/02/04 12:39 AM Re: George Bush could care less...
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Sorry to hear about your son, stlhdh20.
Imagine that ,religious fanatics doing things that promote what they espous, yet would deny the opportunity to others so that they could have a chance at a normal life. I Could never understand why a group that says they are christian, would be so fast at judging others,seems pretty un-christian like to me.
Fishy..........

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#268642 - 07/02/04 12:26 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Fishy,

It conflicts with religon because the tissue used comes from a by product of abortion. If stem cells can be harvested in other ways religous people do not have an issue with it. If we did not have abortion there would be little to no tissue. A catch 22. The issue is compounded by the fact that a large portion of these religous people participate in birth control that really aborts the embryo in it's early stages. Most of them do not know this.

#268643 - 07/02/04 12:41 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

There's no catch-22 about it.

The aborted tissue is there. You can burn it, or extract stem cells from it to save people's lives.

Preventing stem cell research won't end, or even affect rates of, abortion. That's why it's a red herring........

Wave away.

#268644 - 07/02/04 12:56 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

DanS,

Agreed. But the fact that the majority of people have an issue with it being used because of it's source remains. I have watch edmy FIL for the past 14 years sit completely paralyzed while he dies more each day with a terrible disease. He is opposed to it , His wife and kids and 5 brothers are opposed to stem cell research. Profit from murder is not acceptable in their eyes. But they believe they have to answer to a higher authority.

#268645 - 07/02/04 01:12 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
Dan S. Offline

It's OK with me if they don't want to partake in anything having to do with stem cell research.

I just wish they'd let everyone make it their own personal choice.

#268646 - 07/02/04 02:52 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

That is the slippery slope that creates the catch 22 how far do we take personal choice?

#268647 - 07/03/04 12:04 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
To "theking" of what? Another time for that.
Thank you clearly defining the patently obvious of why there is a conflict of interest with the realigious wrong. I could not agree MORE with Dan S. each should have the choice to make on their own. That is why the majority have voted that into law. Choice it is what makes this nation the best of earth.
With Bush being such a pro business president, you would think that all of the business's ready to start hiring to do stem cell research he would be all for it, after all he is for all of the business that Halliburton can do while stuffing money into its pockets, all from the blood of our fallen soldiers. I wonder what the families of those soldiers would have to say about stem cell research?.............Fishy..........

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#268649 - 07/04/04 10:19 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

Aunty,

Some days you're just golden!

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#268650 - 07/13/04 01:19 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

First you would have to buy into the promise of the research. Modern medicine is long on promise and short on delivery. They can abate symptoms but cure very few diseases. There is also a group of very advanced scientific thinkers that say medicine is creating more problems that they are curing for the simple reason that they are allowing the weak to live long enough to breed rather than be naturally selected out of the breeding pool. Creating a weaker human strain rather than a genetitically superior one as natural selection requires. Just one line of thinking.

#268652 - 07/13/04 02:03 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Nope Darwin came up with that one. It's called natural selection. Hitler had a completly different idea. But I suppose the emotionalist in the crowd would applaud your lack of understandin and related poor comparison .

#268653 - 07/13/04 02:21 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
Dan S. Offline

Quote:
First you would have to buy into the promise of the research. Modern medicine is long on promise and short on delivery.
Short on delivery? As compared to what?

I'd rather be an alive diabetic than one still waiting for a cure. I think keeping people alive is the goal.

So you believe in evolution now?

#268654 - 07/13/04 02:44 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

I do not think keeping people alive is the goal at all. It's about funding and advancing a system of medical research for a variety of profit and ego driven motives. If we wanted to keep people alive there are much simpler steps that could be implemented. for example we would ban cars, smoking, fat foods, obesity and mandate healthy living. Those things alone would save more lives than they would save with some potential cure from Stem cell research. Yet like the spoiled americans we are we always want to believe that the golden ring being dangled before us is better than the one we caught yesterday. Take anitbiotics as a shining example of medical miracles. Nature is reversing thier effctiveness in a very deadly fashion faster than science can keep up with it.

#268655 - 07/13/04 02:54 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
Dan S. Offline

Most of the time I can understand your point of view. This time, I'm almost left wishing illness on you.

When my son goes in for open-heart surgery next week, I'm going to be glad that your pitiful viewpoint hasn't stopped the advancement of medical technology yet.

I suppose we should just let him die, huh, because he wasn't given an evolutionary leg up? Dang spoiled Americans......wanting their kids to live.

:rolleyes:

#268656 - 07/13/04 03:20 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Da ns,

Where did I say that? I said "There is also a group of very advanced scientific thinkers " that are saying interfereing with natural selection creates more problems that it resolves. Bottom line it's a chaotic system. That was intended for the Christian bashers who have posted here. To show how a strict humanist perspective with out temper of morals would be much worse than the Christian slanted policies we see today. I personally think we should help everyone we can. I do my small part by having Childrens Hospital #1 on my donation list. I wish only the best for your son.

#268657 - 07/13/04 03:44 PM Re: George Bush could care less...
Dan S. Offline

Sorry, man..............I'm a little edgy this week. Lots on my mind and most of it isn't under my control.

I knew I shouldn't be responding considering my frame of mind, but I did anyway. My apologies.

Thanks for the good wishes, I appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 985 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |