THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#269244 - 07/30/04 11:26 AM Your hero is a zero!
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
Can you hear it ? Off it the distance the fat lady is warming up.

"THE BAGEL CANDIDACY

By DICK MORRIS, July 30, 2004 --

I LOVED Bill Clinton's speech. I was inspired by John Edwards. Barack Obama thrilled me. Max Cleland made me grow as a person as I heard him . . . And then there was John Kerry.

All around him was eloquence but, in the center of the bagel, there was a speech that was a letdown.

And did he just tell 140,000 men and women fighting in Iraq that they are there because of a mistake?

By insisting that we are in Iraq because we "want to be," rather than because we "have to be," he is telling them that they are risking their lives for an optional, elective adventure. The fact is, that the reason we have not been attacked in the United States is that the terrorists are fleeing from cave to cave in Afghanistan and from building to building in Iraq — pursued by our heroic young men and women.

I honor his service in Vietnam. I think a man who knows what it is like to fight in a war is a good person to have as commander-in-chief. John Kerry is a good man. But what else is there?

Last time I checked, Sen. John Kerry was 60 years old. But to listen to his speech last night at the Democratic National Convention, you would think he was still in his 20s.

He opened up his talk with a lengthy and evocative description of his childhood and what it was like growing up in divided Berlin. He told us of the "goose bumps" he remembers getting when the band struck up "Stars and Stripes Forever."

Then, after this long rendition of his childhood, he tells us at length what it was like to serve in Vietnam for the four months that he was there. So far, so good.

But then he spent only about one minute talking about what he has done since.

Beyond a brief allusion to his efforts for crime victims and to prosecute crimes against women as an assistant district attorney, his support for Clinton's plan for extra cops and a balanced budget and a reference to his work with John McCain on the POW and MIA issue in Vietnam, that's it.

What did this man do as an adult? What happened during his service as Michael Dukakis' lieutenant-governor in Massachusetts and in his 20 years in the United States Senate?

What bills did he introduce? What initiatives did he sponsor? Which investigations did he lead? What amendments bear his name? What great debates did he participate in?

What did he do for his constituents in Massachusetts? What businesses did he persuade to come to the Bay State? Which elderly did he help get their Social Security benefits? What injustices did he correct?

Kerry's biography ends at 24.

America does not want to elect a lieutenant to the presidency. The voters want a commander-in-chief, but there is precious little in the autobiography of John Kerry, as we heard it last night, to commend him to us.

The Democratic National Convention closes as a nutritious, tasty, appetizing bagel — with a hole in the middle.

John Kerry? Oh yeah, he's the guy who fought in Vietnam and then he ran for president. That's not enough. Where did his 20 years in the Senate go?

Oddly, his absence of biography confirms the impression I formed of him during my White House years: He's a back-bencher. I never can recall a single time that his name came up in any discussion of White House strategy on anything. He was the man who wasn't there. We were always figuring out how to deal with Ted Kennedy or Pat Moynihan or Tom Daschle or Phil Gramm, or Al D'Amato or Bob Dole or Jesse Helms or Orin Hatch or Joe Biden. But nobody every asked about John Kerry.

He wasn't much there then, and he's not much there now. Only now he wants us to trust him to be president.

#269245 - 07/30/04 12:33 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
"Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do brother...

.....Zero the Hero."

What...no one remembers Ian Gillan era Black Sabbath?

Never mind.

#269246 - 07/30/04 12:35 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
h2o Offline
Carcass

must be nice having your own writers.....ever considering coming up with your own stuff?

#269247 - 07/30/04 12:44 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
All the pundits I heard reviewing the speech (Republicans included) said it was Kerry's best to date.

I watched and thought he came through in the clinch as well. It's up to the undecided now...

#269248 - 07/30/04 12:47 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Dick Morris was responsible for Clintons 2 wins in Arkansas.

I love the message within the message for the troops. Hey you guys in the armed forces in Iraq, your there for no reason and Btw I would send even more if I am elected. Boy they have to be motivated.

#269249 - 07/30/04 01:10 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
Dick Morris was responsible for Clintons 2 wins in Arkansas.
And now you're a huge fan?

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#269250 - 07/30/04 01:17 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
"All the pundits I heard reviewing the speech (Republicans included) said it was Kerry's best to date."

Have you heard his other speaches?? I don't think calling it 'his best' is supposed to be a compliment...

#269251 - 07/30/04 01:17 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
To the king, Kerry did not say that he would send more troops, He said that he would increase the size of the military by 40,000. Special forces, covert ops, that sort of thing, he also said that he would do away with the back door enlistment of the national guard and reservists.
In the past you have gone to great lengths to "quote" and blather on about this or that, if you are going to try and make points about something someone said, at least get it right. Cause with all of the fingerpointing that you do,you are going to be called on it.

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#269252 - 07/30/04 01:20 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Oh and almost forgot, your hero is truely the ZERO here, draft dogding war monger that lied to go get Saddam.
War Hero or War Monger, the choice is obvious!

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

#269253 - 07/30/04 01:41 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
jackiepoo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: University Place Washington
John Kerry wasn't belittling the troops in Iraq, he was telling them the truths of the matter and not dodge balling around like our current president. Bush had an agenda from day one to go into Iraq and finish his daddy's work. His daddy messed up in the first place by not finishing the job when men and women risked and gave up their lives in the gulf war. Old George went into this war with a red hot iron up his ass all fired up and without a dead sure plan to get in and out as quick as possible with as little loss of life. I understand that war is a terrible thing and lives on all sides can and will be lost. This is an awful reality, but losing lives because our president is sending men and women into battle without the best bullet proof protection and armor available, it makes me turn red to think of families pooling moeny together to out fit their son, daughter, wife, husband, grand child, or next door neighbor, because some idiot sitting in the whitehouse wants to see his filthy rich, crooked scum of the earth corporate a holes, earn an extra buck and leave the soldier in the trenches without every option for optimum survival at his or her's disposal. Like the future president said last night, America will not back down from a tyrant or necessary war but only will he when assuming the role of commander in chief send troops off to a foreign land only under absolture necessity. And how about the soldiers of previous wars and battles being shafted by our current president's policies that prevent veterans from getting the health care they deserve. Our current president has a lot of holes in his story regarding the reasons and backbone of the skelital structer of reason explaining why our country has lost a mind boggling 900 men and women. From top to bottom in the Bush administration their is a sickening corrosion of integrity. The current climate of the Bush administration behind closed doors is comparable to a scene of little boys and girls who are trying to hide a grape juice stain on a pearly white carpet. Sure it will remain hidden for the short term but when the heat is turned on and the stench comes from underneath the throw rug and the powers that be start to smell what is cooking there is no hiding the truth and efforts of deception. I want to see a president in office in the next four years who is making a positive effort to improve all arenas of American government, not a president who is trying to hide from truth and is constantly running an uphill and winless race of deception and corruption. Kerry for President hell yes, Bush packing his Jammy's and bankie to go back to the ranch hell yes. Signing off JFK

#269254 - 07/30/04 01:51 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

ssf,

Kerry said in his speech that Iraq was a mistake. So the 140k troops there are to think what. For the past 6 months he has been saying we need more troops on the ground in Iraq and has proposed 40k which has nothing to do with the 40k he mentioned last night. It helps to tie all his proposals and thoughts together to form a clear picture of what he is saying. taking one speech at a time you would never pick up his cosistant inconsistancy.

#269255 - 07/30/04 02:48 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Here is more on how Kerry says one thing then does another.

Kerry defensively said 2 years ago 'no intention' to use Vietnam film for campaign purposes

On the defensive for filming himself during the Vietnam war, John Kerry once told a reporter he had "no intention" of using the footage for campaign purposes, but some of it will be featured tonight in a video of introduction before his Democratic presidential nomination acceptance speech.

New York Times Executive Editor Bill Keller was a columnist when he wrote in a Sept. 7, 2002, piece of his encounter with Kerry after having mocked the senator for "pulling out a movie camera after a shootout in the Mekong Delta and re-enacting the exploit, as if preening for campaign commercials to come."

Keller said Kerry invited him to his office to see some of the 8-millimeter footage, which had been transferred to videocassette. Keller wrote: "'It is so innocent,' [Kerry] said by way of introducing his youthful cinematic effort, adding a little defensively, 'I have no intention of using it' for campaign purposes."

The introduction video, however, by Steven Spielberg protege James Moll, makes prominent use of some of Kerry's footage to depict him as a war hero capable of becoming the nation's next commander in chief.

A Kerry campaign spokesman was not immediately available for comment.

Moll told the New York Observer that after starting his video project, "it was a pleasant surprise that [Kerry] had taken his own footage while in Vietnam."

"When Army Green Beret Jim Rassman is talking about how John Kerry saved his life, I'm using some of that footage," Moll said. "It shows the swift boat and various shots of the swift boat, and some firing like you see in the water. Bullets in the water." But Moll said the bullets are "just illustrative," not from an actual event.

In his column, Keller said he changed his mind about Kerry's motives for taking the film footage, but a former swift-boat crewmate who witnessed some of the future presidential nominee's filming insists it wasn't a normal thing to do. Steve Gardner, who served for two and a half months under Kerry from late 1968 to early 1969, has no doubt that all of the footage was re-enacted.

"It was just dumb," he told WorldNetDaily. "Every bit of that was staged. Nobody in his right mind is going to take an 8-millimeter camera in a firefight to take pictures of John Kerry."

Gardner, of Clover, S.C., said he didn't express it, but thought to himself, "What an idiot."

"The stuff he was doing was just antics," said Gardner, a gunner's mate 3rd class. "Nobody knew at that time he had a hidden agenda. We just thought it was goofy stuff." But some of Kerry's swift-boat colleagues say they were well aware then of the future politician's ambition.

John O'Neill, who took over Kerry's swift-boat command, says in a book scheduled for release next month, "Unfit for Command," that a "joke circulated among his colleagues that Kerry "left Vietnam early not because he received three Purple Hearts, but because he had recorded enough film of himself to take home for his planned political campaigns."

The book charges "Kerry would revisit ambush locations for re-enacting combat scenes where he would portray the hero." The Boston Globe reported in 1996 that Kerry's films appeared "as if he had cast himself in the sequel to the experience of his hero, John F. Kennedy, on the PT-109." Thomas Vallely, a fellow veteran and one of Kerry's closest political advisers and friends, told the Globe, "John was thinking Camelot when he shot that film, absolutely."

O'Neill, an attorney, is spokesman for Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, a coalition of more than 200 vets familiar with Kerry's service who oppose his candidacy for president based on their judgment of his character. As WorldNetDaily reported, O'Neill's organization stated last month Kerry was a "loose cannon" in Vietnam and is unfit to be commander in chief.

The group includes the entire chain of command above Kerry during his tenure in Southeast Asia, as well as enlisted men. The group has called on Kerry to stop unauthorized use of their images in national campaign advertising.

Only two of 20 officers in one photo Kerry has used support him, they say.

http://www.swiftvets.com/

#269256 - 07/30/04 03:05 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
Led Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Key Peninsula
I remember the Ian Gillian stint with Black Sabbath Much better with Deep Purple though \:D As far as this thread goes...Just Vote!No more Duhbya for me thanks

#269257 - 07/30/04 04:36 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
h2o Offline
Carcass

Cannibal Corpse does an amusing cover of "Zero the Hero".

Funny, but you play the riff from that song with vintage gear and some volume and it just rips, even though it comes across kinda soft on the album.

#269258 - 07/30/04 06:47 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
jackiepoo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: University Place Washington
hey stlhd it is good to hear from a fellow metal head, so so sad about Phil leaving pantera, and am waiting for a couple of years to go by and have pantera get back together and just unleash a new black metal dose of heaviness. But in the meantime I will rock some deftones, which really kick ass, and some old glass jaw, poison the well, hatebreed, and old metallica pre- new ****, VH DAVE, any way good to hear that there is somebody on here that is into heavy music. I play guitar too, so I hear what your saying about the volume and the gear. keep pumpin the fist too the sound sof the creature of the night

#269259 - 07/30/04 08:21 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
h2o Offline
Carcass

dude, your an animal.

i hate phil (although I do like Pantera to 'Vulgar....') and I really, really hate kiss.

oh yeah, great moniker zep....

#269260 - 07/31/04 01:47 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Jackiepoo, could not agree with you more on your post about Dumbya.............Way to go.

To theking, get a bunch of like minded people in the same room, ask them a bunch of slanted questions leaning to the right, and then conclude that they are all leaning to the right is not an objective conclusion.
Are you on here trying to win more votes for a president that the average voter see's to be dictatorial, simple minded, and plain money grubing. I see that you have started numerous posts to these same effects and was wondering what exactly your efforts are directed towards? Is it that if you keep telling yourself these things that they will be so? Are you so closed minded that you can not see the truth about "your" beloved president?
The question to your true motivation will forever escape us as I don't think that it will ever be brought to light, Honestly!
Bottom line, Dumbya should not have been president and has used that position to line his and his cronies pockets with blood stained money. Sleep well..........Fishy.....

#269261 - 08/02/04 10:51 AM Re: Your hero is a zero!
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

SSF,

In this case you made a counter to my assertion about Kerry. I showed you that Kerry in fact as saidf the war is a mistake at the same time saying he would addd 40k troops. As a by product of that we can see that Kerry is inconsistant. So I continue to show that the libs for some reason look past all his inconsistant proposals etc. for one reason on this board they hate GW because he is overtly Christian.

#269262 - 08/02/04 01:04 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Elvis, put your glasses on; you're only seeing half of what's written.

Kerry said he would add 40K to the active duty rolls, not in Iraq. He will double the Special Forces of each branch to aid in the fight against terror using covert military action. He will obtain NATO and other support in Iraq to decrease the number of Americans fighting there.

Strategically it's a pretty solid plan. Whether he can pull it off or not is another question. But it's tough to argue that "staying the course" is strategically the right thing to do.

#269263 - 08/02/04 01:19 PM Re: Your hero is a zero!
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

GH,

You forgot the part where he called Iraq a mistake. What are these new troops US or foeign supposed to think about that?

I thought you might like this. It supports what Bush has siad and refutes you "lies" claim. It also shoots your "Powell" would be a great leader claim in the head.

Retired Gen. Tommy Franks Says U.S. Should Put Iraq On 5-Year Plan Franks Talks Candidly In Exclusive Interview With PARADE Magazine About War, Israel, Saddam and Osama

NEW YORK, July 30 /PRNewswire/ -- Retired Gen. Tommy Franks, who led U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, says he never thought the U.S. could be out of Iraq in a year. Five years, he says, is a realistic timeline. "It takes time to solve problems when you're talking about 25 to 26 million people," Franks tells PARADE magazine for this Sunday's issue, noting that Iraq has to dig itself out of a "30-year hole." Franks, 59, who retired from the military in July 2003, had a lot to say in this exclusive interview with PARADE, his first national interview since leaving command:

* The biggest surprise for him was that they've found no weapons of mass destruction (WMD), the "reason we went to war." He says multiple Middle Eastern leaders, including Jordan's King Abdullah and Egypt's Hosni Mubarak, told Franks that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. In January 2003, Mubarak said point blank to Franks, "Saddam has WMD-biologicals, actually-and he will use them on your troops."

* Franks and his warplanners expected 150,000 additional international troops to help with peacekeeping operations. They never materialized.

* Franks singles out White House Counter-terrorism Czar Richard Clarke as never providing him with "a single page of actionable intelligence" and of engaging in mostly wishful thinking. Franks also believes the U.S. invested too much in electronic spy surveillance and not enough in spies. "We can't send a Princeton-educated New York lawyer to infiltrate al-Qaeda. To get information, we have to marry the devil or at least employ him. You have to deal."

* Franks steered clear of Israel while he was a U.S. military commander and openly told Arab leaders that he was sympathetic to their issues. "For years," he tells PARADE, "I had told my Arab friends that I had 'no Israeli visa' in my passport. This was an unofficial way of letting them know that I understood their side of the story."

* Franks was disappointed that the Iraqis initially chose looting and insurgency over pulling together to rehabilitate their country --immediately coming out to guard museums, weapons depots, etc.

* Franks describes contentious battles among the military service chiefs over his warplans for Afghanistan and how he told his civilian bosses in the Pentagon that he wanted "to be left the hell alone" to run the Iraq war.

* Franks openly rebuts and takes issue with the long-standing "Powell doctrine" of over-whelming military force. Powell criticized Franks' warplans for Iraq, drawing his ire.

* Franks believes the world is "far safer" without Saddam Hussein. Asked about Osama bin Laden, he says that, unlike Saddam, who was hated in Iraq, tens of thousands of Arab families would happily take Osama in as their hero. Franks believes Osama will be caught eventually, "even though we don't have enough sources on the ground."

This Sunday's PARADE also features an adaptation from Gen. Franks' new book, American Soldier, to be published Aug. 3 by ReganBooks/HarperCollins.

SOURCE PARADE Magazine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1353 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |