Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#272150 - 09/16/04 03:27 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Third stone from the sun
This bill could have been renewed if Bush wished it, however it was worthless to begin with.--LT

WOW, you're saying that Bush 43 can force a majority of congresman and senators to do something they have made clear they wouldn't?

LT,

Two things:

1) You're writing in your last post
acknowledged that the 'AWB' (or Brady Bill) was pointless in that there were so many ways to get around it (that's why a majority of representatives aren't interested in extending it) --why do you want to see it (BB) extended?

2) Your idea about ballistic registery on AR15's and the like works until the person in possesion of the AR15 realizes that the barrell can be changed (altering ballistic chatacteristics) in a matter of seconds.

#272151 - 09/16/04 03:47 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn, Wa, USA
Hi Aunty. Glad you enjoyed it.

I would have loved to stick around for some shrimp but one of my buddies had the audacity to get married that afternoon, and I promied Mrs. me that I'd be home in time to shower. Seems she didn't want to go to the wedding with a guy smelling like fish.

Anyway, Dogfish promised me that he ate some shrimp for me. What a pal.....

Had a ball out there. Wish I'd had a little more time to spend in your camp and chat.

Dogfish and I are on tap to go stack a couple of elk next weekend to replenish the supply....... \:\)

Fisherdan

#272152 - 09/16/04 03:50 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn, Wa, USA
P.S. Wow, talk about hijacking a thread.....

I guess I better add something like "I support the constitution".

Fisherdan

#272153 - 09/16/04 03:57 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
RB

Sorry if I did not make that clear but I do not want to see the bill extended due to the fact it is not a well written bill. I would however like to see some laws in place that help with some of the current gun regulation problems. The Pres. can pressure congress if he wants and he did state he would renew the bill. He certainly has the right to change his mind, not all campaign promises can be kept and things do change where it may justify a reneging of a current pledge. But rather then explain the issue the Pres just said congress did not send the bill up the ladder. He is trying to please both voting parties in this case when he had no intention of signing the bill, if he did he could have passed it through. Clever politics but not honest in my book. I wouldn't like it if a Dem Pres made the same move.

True barrels can be change but it could be a starting point and there are a lot of dumb criminals who even if they changed the barrel would keep it in a closet to be found in a search. Hey I was just thinking on this one of better solution that is all. Anyone got a better idea then the AWB?

#272154 - 09/16/04 04:07 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

LT,

You're starting to think as logically as a conservative. \:D

There's always room over here if you want to play for the winning team

#272155 - 09/16/04 04:08 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
"True barrels can be change but it could be a starting point and there are a lot of dumb criminals who even if they changed the barrel would keep it in a closet to be found in a search. Hey I was just thinking on this one of better solution that is all. Anyone got a better idea then the AWB?"

LT,

Some things sound good until you think them through.

The majority of gun crimes happen two ways. 1. Ned catches Betty bangin Fabio, Ned grabs a gun and kills them both in a jealous rage. No mystry about who did it and the gun was leagally purchased.
2. Lephonso uses a gun to whack rival gang member and take all his blow. The gun he used was stolen in a robbery 3 weeks earlier and purcahes by Lephonso behind the Dairy Freeze.

Either way you have dead bodies and it had nothing to do with any gun laws.

#272156 - 09/16/04 04:24 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

king

Quote:
Ned catches Betty bangin Fabio
:D ;\) :p

Quote:
Either way you have dead bodies and it had nothing to do with any gun laws.
This is true...I would also like to see the sales of firearms moderated. You know the person to person sales that are never logged and now the guns sale history is lost. They tried to get this bill passed once, I think on the back of the Brady Bill and then they took it off to let the Brady Bill go through due to the uprise of the 10% sales fee associated with the sale instead of a flat fee like $25.

RB
Thanks for the offer but I just put a "I heart Democrats" bumper sticker on my car and you know how hard those are to get off ;\)

#272157 - 09/16/04 04:56 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

"I would also like to see the sales of firearms moderated. You know the person to person sales that are never logged and now the guns sale history is lost"

It will never happen even if they passed a piece of paper to make the soccer moms feel safe.

#272158 - 09/16/04 05:07 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Got any ideas or are you happy with the laws as they reside?

#272159 - 09/16/04 05:19 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

LT,

Yes, repeal all gun laws. The issue is with our culture not gun's. Our society like to treat the symptom not the cause.

#272161 - 09/16/04 06:16 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Aunty, the paranoia remark is directed at those that are absolutely convinced the Democrats number one objective is to repeal the Second Amendment.

I don't think there is any more chance of loosing that right than the First Amendment. I believe the NRA and GOP merely instill that fear into people to keep them in the flock, per se.

The Second Amendment was written precisely for the very reason it will never go away; protection from an overbearing gubmint.

#272162 - 09/16/04 07:20 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
ACT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Townsend, WA
goharly

If you believe that you need to read some of the Horror stories coming out of Illinois, New York, Mass and California about some of the abuses againist the Second Admendment. You had better not be caught with a firearm of any kind in your vehicle while traveling through those states and couple of the other east coast states even with them secured in a locked case.

In Maryland even if you are LEO and someone breaks into home and steals your Service Weapon from a locked or secure location and it's used in a crime you are treated as an accessory to the crime.

#272163 - 09/16/04 11:53 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Does that stop you from owning a weapon?

Matter of fact, my father-in-law used to live in Maryland a couple of years ago and owns probably 6 different guns. His brother still lives in there and owns probably 2 dozen different guns. They hunt deer up and down the East Coast. Wonder how they get all those guns to their hunting camps?

I'm sure there's deer hunting in Illinois, New York, and California.... gotta get them guns there some how.

#272164 - 09/17/04 12:07 AM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by goharley:
Does that stop you from owning a weapon?

I'm sure there's deer hunting in Illinois, New York, and California.... gotta get them guns there some how.
------------------------------------------------------------

GH,

They've made it illegal to have a gun in D.C.---Has the crime rate gone down there?

Do you think your father-in-law and his brother should have to violate the law to be able to hunt?

#272165 - 09/17/04 12:20 AM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
thesled Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: MLT
Lets first curb all the Bleeding Hearts that are wispering to their rich politically backed husbands out there. The ones who would rather execute the pistol that was used in a murder, than the murderer himself. The last time I checked, my pistol was just firing itself. "STAY AWAY FROM THE GUN KIDS IT MIGHT KILL YOU" How about teaching gun safety instead. If anyone tries to charge me with accessory to a crime, because they stole my rifle from the house, Ill hire Johnny Cochran, then run for office..

#272166 - 09/17/04 11:44 AM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
Originally posted by Rory Bellows:
Do you think your father-in-law and his brother should have to violate the law to be able to hunt?
How are they violating the law?

#272167 - 09/17/04 12:01 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

This shows what a genius Kerry is:

"The October edition of Outdoor Life will feature interviews with both presidential candidates. When asked about their favorite guns, President Bush responds: "My favorite gun is a Weatherby Athena 20 gauge." Mr. Kerry says "My favorite gun is the M-16 that saved my life and that of my crew in Vietnam. I don't own one of those now, but one of my reminders of my service is a Communist Chinese assault rifle."

So Mr. Kerry owns an "assault" rifle designed for war. Interesting coming from the guy who just went ballistic over the end of the "assault" weapons ban. "

#272168 - 09/17/04 12:22 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

"one of my reminders of my service is a Communist Chinese assault rifle."--Hanoi John Kerry
------------------------------------------------------------

That's because ultimately Hanoi John Kerry served the Communists!

#272170 - 09/17/04 12:50 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

RB

I am not positive but I think DC only limited certain types of guns, not all guns. I think they were allowed hunting rifles just not handguns and semi auto weapons.

U.S. House Bill Would Kill D.C. Gun Bans
9/16/2004

There is majority support in the U.S. House of Representatives for a bill that would repeal many of the existing gun laws in the District of Columbia, the Washington Post reported Sept. 14.

The D.C. Personal Protection Act, sponsored by Rep. Mark Souder (R-Ind.), would lift the ban on handguns in D.C., which has one of the strictest gun bans in the nation. In addition, the bill would remove a ban on semiautomatic weapons; remove registration requirements for ammunition and other firearms; and cancel criminal penalties for those possessing unregistered firearms or carrying a handgun in one's home or workplace.

The legislation would also prohibit the District's elected officials from enacting laws or regulations "that discourage or eliminate the private ownership or use of firearms."

"This is a constitutional issue, not a home-rule question," Souder said. "The fact is, we didn't allow the District to have home rule on the selling of slaves, either."

District Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.) argued that repealing the District's gun laws would increase violence in the city.

The bill, which has 228 co-sponsors, has enough support to pass the 435-member House. However, passage in the U.S. Senate is doubtful.

More News Summaries

#272171 - 09/17/04 01:25 PM Re: Assault Weapons Ban
umrules Offline
Spawner

Loc: wa., usa
AM,
I think you're right, I missed the dissing of the military. Anybody who says the Military is for the poor and uneducated , I would have to say is "uneducated" on the matter. I would love to take that person aboard one of the Aircraft Carriers that I served on, show them some of the equipment and systems that I worked on and then have them tell me I am uneducated. Or take them on an E2, look at the systems on that and then tell me that the 19 year old kid that fixes them and makes them fly is uneducated! Go down to the plant and tell the people down there, that can make a 100,000 ton vessel go , well let's just say in excess of 32 knots and a lot faster than you can really imagine a ship that size could go, and tell them they are uneducated.

If you think the military is for the poor and uneducated, come see me. Let's see if you can pass some of the tests that I have passed that advanced me to where I got in the military and allow me to work on some of the systems that I work on know, and then tell me I am uneducated. And not that financial wealth means squat to me about a persons character or usefullness to society, but I'll show you where I came from and where I am at, then see if you can say I am or was poor.

Oh Aunty, that someone would say that about our men and women of the armed forces really fires me up!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1427 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |