THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#272412 - 09/19/04 04:21 AM You're gonna get drafted !
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
Better yet I believe is for all who are really for the war should go down and voluntarily enlist or if they are too old then to send their
children. Sorta like put your money where your mouth is, or in this case put your children where your mouth is.

Most of the plastic patriot crowd that believes in this war so strongly seem to just want to send someone else to go fight or die. You know like, "I am commited to this war and I believe that it is justified, but I think that YOU should go fight it, etc.". Seems to me that if they really believe in it so strongly that they should be the first ones in line down at the recruiting office.

Maybe if the law was written to take the ones who believe in it first, it would sure take a lot of the bulls**t out of the discussion. F.

Reprinted from Seeing The Forest:
http://seetheforest.blogspot.com/2004_09_01_seetheforest_archive.html#109546822828362236

Dave Johnson: 'You're gonna get drafted'
Posted on Saturday, September 18 @ 09:26:29 EDT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Draft - A Reason to Vote if You're Under 30

By Dave Johnson, Seeing The Forest

You already blew it: You didn't vote last time, or voted for Nader or Bush, and now you're gonna get drafted. There's no way around it now, the draft is almost a certainty.

You're hearing about Reserve and National Guard units being called up, and about people not allowed to leave the military even though their term is up. Have you thought about what this means to you? You KNOW this means they're having trouble finding enough soldiers to go to Iraq, right? Of course Bush doesn't want to start the draft BEFORE the election. Duh! But what do you think happens the day AFTER the election?

I repeat, they are having trouble finding enough soldiers to go to Iraq. Think about it. Right, you're gonna get drafted.

Or, maybe you think they can't do that? Maybe you think the draft doesn't happen in America. Maybe you think they can't just grab your ass up off the street, stick a rifle in your hands and send you off to war? Of course not, that NEVER happens. Right.

WAR. Yes, that word. The word you have been hearing from Bush's lips for months now. "I'm a WAR president", he says. Well, what did you
think war MEANS? Somebody ELSE'S war? Did you think it means you get to watch a TV show with planes and stuff?

No, WAR means young people getting grabbed up off the street and sent off to fight. That. Is. What. War. Is.

And, by the way, women and students are NOT going to be exempt this time. Maybe not even rich kids. ONLY the children of politicians will be exempt. THIS TIME.

So, are you finally ready to do something about it THIS TIME? Which candidate do you think is more likely to grab your ass off the street and send it to Iraq? Which candidate do you think is more likely to start a war with Iran, or Syria, or maybe even North Korea? Like Bush says, we're at war, and that's the issue in this election. Well, THAT'S what you should be thinking about THIS TIME.

So vote. THIS TIME.

==========

Except there's a problem with this message. Young people are so disengaged that there probably aren't very many of them reading
weblogs like this one, so they won't see this. And that means they might not figure this stuff out in time for the election. You have to help them. Take this post and copy it and paste it into an e-mail and send it to someone who is under 30. Or write your own message
explaining what the draft is, and why they should be concerned enough to actually vote. It is important to explain that the draft actually
CAN happen to them. If you're old enough you can tell them from experience.

Reprinted from Seeing The Forest:

http://seetheforest.blogspot.com/2004_09_01_seetheforest_archive.html#109546822828362236

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#272413 - 09/20/04 10:05 AM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Quote:
I repeat, they are having trouble finding enough soldiers to go to Iraq.
Hum the threat of terrorism must not be bad enough for people to go to a land far away and get shot at. Today’s youth is smarter then I had previously given them credit for. ;\)

#272414 - 09/20/04 06:47 PM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
Ranger's experience nothing like on TV

September 20, 2004

BY MARY LANEY

What was it like? Iraq looks a lot different than poolside behind a Winnetka home. It's worlds away from the mountains of Afghanistan. But Eric Leahy could tell me about what it was like in those faraway countries. Leahy's an Army Ranger from the 3rd Ranger Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment -- the first unit to parachute into Afghanistan and Iraq with just their wits and a hundred pounds of equipment on their backs. He has recently returned from four tours of duty: two in Afghanistan and two in Iraq.

He's visiting old high school friends and readjusting to life in mufti. That's how he came to be sitting -- in a T-shirt and jeans -- beside a friend's swimming pool in Winnetka, and how I came to be talking with him.

When I asked him what it had been like, he didn't talk about the heroics he and his fellow Rangers had been through, didn't brag about the medals he's won. He simply said, ''We're doing a lot of good.'' When I asked if he had been in firefights, he answered my naive question with a simple, ''I've been shot at.''

Leahy's only 23 but has a presence and maturity rare at his age. And his presence is daunting. He stands 6 feet tall with blond hair, blue eyes and a physique that one would call ''buff.'' He even appears to have muscles in his forehead. But it's his clarity and self-confidence that stand out. When he stands, he stands tall. When he walks, it's a walk of someone who now knows who he is.

''I was a 19-year-old kid with no direction. In basic training, I began to realize how hard these people work, how long and difficult this country's history has been. I had taken for granted all the freedoms I enjoyed and I felt proud to be a part of something so important and yet received so little recognition, at least before 9/11.''

It has been an adjustment for Leahy returning home, especially when he watches television news.

''What they're reporting has nothing in common with what I saw over there. Nothing. People back here think Iraqis and Afghanis are at war with Americans. It's just not true. The terrorists are killing Afghanis and Iraqis. For every American who's died, they've killed 25 of their own. They're killing their own people, not just American soldiers.

''When I was over there, not everybody liked us. But people would come up and offer us the food they had to feed their family for a week, or the water they had, and village elders would talk with us. But when you come back here, it's a whole different story.''

''Peter Jennings [of ABC News] was giving a live report in Baghdad when he noticed a Humvee stopped in traffic went over the curb and drove away. Jennings said the soldiers must think they're above the law. It wasn't that. The Humvee had no turret, no gun; it was getting out of a possibly bad situation.'' The young Ranger shakes his head at the reports just showing fighting instead of all the good over there: the schools built and open, the hospitals operating, the water that's now running, the electricity that's been repaired after years of neglect.

Leahy says he and his fellow Rangers had children coming up to them, laughing and thanking them.

''In Baghdad, they were all little entrepreneurs selling cigarettes and DVDs.''

He says he felt good when he saw young women able to walk outside, but sad to see them hunched over after years of having to carry heavy loads and stay indoors. There were tense times as well -- times when senses must be acute.

''One Holy Night, the Iraqis were cooking in the streets, local militia were on corners with AK-47's for miles. We didn't know if we could trust them or not as we drove through. We were turning a corner. I was watching, my weapon ready. All of a sudden an AK went off. I saw it was an accident. The man's weapon was pointed at the ground and went off. We drove on.''

I asked him how he deals with such sharpened senses since he returned home. His answer spoke volumes.

''My first week home, I was at a friend's wedding in California and still in the mind-set of paranoia, looking around a lot. I was out on the balcony overlooking an intersection and a stoplight.

"Cars were actually stopping at the light, no shots fired, no car bombs exploding, no one dragged from a car and burned by terrorists, no one fearful for their life. It made me feel good. It helped give reason for what I've done. To come back and watch a simple stoplight and see people here have lives where they don't have to fear that kind of thing. I don't think people realize just how lucky they are to live here.''

Perhaps not.

Leahy plans to enroll in college now. Once there, here's hoping he'll tell them -- tell them how lucky we all are.

Thank you, Eric Leahy, and welcome home.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/laney/cst-edt-laney20.html

#272415 - 09/20/04 06:52 PM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Pierce County, Washington
Sorry but there will be no draft. The ONLY bills before Congress are there because democrats have them there in a lame attempt to embarass the president....

This is a BS post.....

#272416 - 09/20/04 11:32 PM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
stlhd_dreaming Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: maine
Hey Man,

You might actually want to think before you say a bullsh!t post because man you are wrong no one is joining the military now trust me I am in it and they are literally hurting why do you think Bushie sent the national guard over there not enough military..... I support the draft if it was to happen

#272417 - 09/21/04 12:34 AM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:
Originally posted by stlhd_dreaming:
Hey Man,

You might actually want to think before you say a bullsh!t post because man you are wrong no one is joining the military now trust me I am in it and they are literally hurting why do you think Bushie sent the national guard over there not enough military..... I support the draft if it was to happen
Nope, it is still a BS ploy. Check out this article here: Foxnews article..

The first paragraph says it all...
Quote:
WASHINGTON — Army National Guard recruiters across the country say that so far, the unprecedented levels of guard deployment into theaters of violent conflict for tours of 12 months or longer have not had a negative impact on recruitment and retention levels.
Yes, certain levels are "slighty" down but that typically goes in conjunction with a normal cycle. I guarantee you, more people left the services or did not join up because of Clinton in his first 4 years than GW.

#272418 - 09/21/04 09:20 AM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
Pmartin Offline
Spawner

Question JLH. When did parents start sending their kids to war? When I signed up my parents were no where around. When I went to my first conflict(Gulf)I didn't call mommy and ask her if I could go. Didn't do it for my second(Somolia) either. It's an all volunteer military. As my drill used to say,"This ain't Burger King private and you aint gonna have it your way".
Maybe you should sign your bad ass up so that one of these children don't have to go? I mean you are a giant and the biggest kid on the block, I bet you being in Iraq with your size and stature would bring fear to all Iraqi's and would be a great motivator to the US troops. Maybe you could change your monikor to John L Rambo???

BTW Maui, I got out because of Cliton. Along with many many others.

#272419 - 09/21/04 01:08 PM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
Quote:
Originally posted by Pmartin:
Question JLH.

Maybe you should sign your bad ass up so that one of these children don't have to go? I mean you are a giant and the biggest kid on the block, I bet you being in Iraq with your size and stature would bring fear to all Iraqi's and would be a great motivator to the US troops. Maybe you could change your monikor to John L Rambo???

I am not anywhere near that stupid. I refuse to be a mule for Halliburton or Big Oil. \:D

Our troops are being used like a mofia hit squad for Halliburton, Big Oil and Bushes re-election.
------------------------------------------------------------

I bet you being in Iraq with your size and stature would bring fear to all Iraqi's

Why would I go over there to bring fear to each and every Iraqi? Don't you think that it's that mentality that is the cause for so many Iraqi's resisting and becoming terrorist? Is it our mission to kill each and every Iraqi that does not fear us? Sounds like something the Nazi's would do. I thought that we were over there as friends of the Iraqi people.
Don't you think that for all Iraqi's to be in fear of us (after we attacked and killed 10, 000's of innocent Iraqi's) is a form of terrorism in it's self? After all, American's are in fear of Al Quida who attacked us, and we call them (Al Quida) terrorist.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#272420 - 09/21/04 01:17 PM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
What's that Jim Mcdermott kool aid taste like?

#272421 - 09/21/04 01:41 PM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
thesled Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: MLT
JLH,
You sound like your a couple of conflicts late, maybe the 60's is your era of protest, with one of those flowers in your hair. When I enlisted I didnt do it for some lame oil interest or any bullsh!& like that, I did it because I have some patriotic blood in my vains. If I'm not going to stand watch, who will??? YOU ahhh ha ha ha

#272422 - 09/22/04 04:30 PM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Quote:
I guarantee you, more people left the services or did not join up because of Clinton in his first 4 years than GW.
I'd be very interested to see you prove that with credible documentation. I mean, since it's a guarantee and all.

PM- if you left the active military because of Clinton, why haven't you joined back up now that Bush is in office?

#272423 - 09/22/04 04:52 PM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
Pmartin Offline
Spawner

Now you are questioning my militarty service? :rolleyes:

6+6 isn't enough for likes of a$$holes like you?

#272424 - 09/22/04 05:32 PM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Awww shucks PM... You're gettin' all full of piss and vinegar again... ain'tcha ;\)

#272425 - 09/23/04 04:15 PM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
No, I wasn't questioning your military service at all. I believe everyone should do as much as they can personally handle. Sorry to hit such a sensitive spot, you seem awfully defensive about that subject.

I was just wondering why you hadn't joined back up since Clinton was no longer in office, and he was the reason you got out. From your statement it seems logical that you'd be happy in active service again with Bush in office.

Unless, of course, Clinton wasn't really the reason you got out...

#272426 - 09/23/04 06:17 PM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
As a veteran myself I can't help but notice one thing...

In the 60's early 70's the music industry made a billion dollars screaming and yelling about how war sucks. These days the music industry is making billions tear dropping about how great war is and how proud yada yada yada. Toby Keith should give half his cash to the familys of KIA service men.

#272427 - 09/23/04 08:05 PM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:
Originally posted by B-RUN STEELY:
As a veteran myself I can't help but notice one thing...

In the 60's early 70's the music industry made a billion dollars screaming and yelling about how war sucks. These days the music industry is making billions tear dropping about how great war is and how proud yada yada yada. Toby Keith should give half his cash to the familys of KIA service men.
Bet you didn't know that Toby Keith has given more and done more for our troops than any other entertainer since Bob Hope? He has actually been to the Mid-East now three times for concerts for the troops. He also has given thousands of dollars to troop support groups.

How much have you given sport?

One more thing, go ahead and read this post also: Peaceful left post

#272428 - 09/23/04 09:22 PM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Mau10man

thanks for the unrelated link

#272429 - 09/24/04 12:03 AM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
What have you givin sport ???? How about 4 years of my life.. enough for you ???

#272430 - 09/24/04 01:12 AM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:
Originally posted by B-RUN STEELY:
What have you givin sport ???? How about 4 years of my life.. enough for you ???
I gave four years of my life too pulling stupid fisherman out of the cold Alaskan waters, protecting your children from illegal drugs and helping to stem the tide of illegal aliens from 90-94. I also continue to give money and time to veterans groups.....

Is that enough for you too?

#272431 - 09/24/04 01:23 PM Re: You're gonna get drafted !
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Oh yeah! Well my dad is bigger than your dad and he could beat your dad up any 'ol time... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1351 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |