THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#286221 - 12/28/04 01:14 AM It's back... YEE HAW!
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The Best of Fishing the West will hitting the airwaves this spring. Man I loved that show. Anybody Else stoked?

FTW website

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#286222 - 12/28/04 02:04 AM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
Mr.Twister Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
Absolutely.....By the way, I wish that the outdoor channel had more shows on salmon and steelhead fishing.

#286223 - 12/28/04 02:34 AM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Larry Shoenborn - Used to love that show over 10 years ago while living in Portland. Wife (now ex) and kids would all gather round every sunday afternoon and watch it. Fueled many a plan for fishing trips. Glad to see it's back.

#286224 - 12/28/04 03:02 AM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
SKYSTEELHEAD Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Looking forward to the west coast fishing show!!
One of my favorite fishing shows!

#286225 - 12/28/04 05:03 AM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
"Oh that's a nice fish."

#286226 - 12/28/04 11:59 AM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
Queetsqueef Offline
Returning Adult

oh I don't know, I really enjoy watching hillbillies toss jigs into a poop-pond, in the pursuit of mighty bass. That's fishing at it's finest. How will ESPN and the NASCAR crowd ever adapt to a northwest fishing show.

#286227 - 12/28/04 12:27 PM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Funny I just found my old VHS copies of FTW and other shows a few weeks ago. One was on the Hoh with John Truex. Another was on the Skeena system with Jim Teeny where Larry was using his double hook rabbit fur "dry flies". You could tell Teeny wasn't too impressed with Larry's technique. Another was a fly in for She fish in AK. When you watch these remember that edicate was a bit different back then like dragging a nate up on the rocks before release and such. FTW was my favorite not just because of the PNW focus (except when Buzz Ramsey hosted...boring) but the camera also focused on the beauty of the surroundings and wildlife.

#286228 - 12/28/04 02:15 PM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool... looking forward to it. Just need to program the TiVo once the programming is set.

#286229 - 12/28/04 02:44 PM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Most of the shows Larry and the field staff of Fishing the West did were great to watch and I did enjoy them.

I hope I have the right channel to see'em again if they get it up and running.

Larry was a nice guy and did fish hard to make the show the best.

BTW..I did a FTW show back in 1984 and it was fun to do. We even caught a few Steelhead.

The Best of Fishing the West? Maybe I'll be on TV again!!! Betcha I still look the same as I looked waaaaaaay back then. Hope they know where to send the royalty check!! ;\)

And I did get 2 jackets....

fp

#286230 - 12/28/04 05:02 PM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Fred, I still have that show on tape. Never could tell exactly what river it was. Was that part of the Hump or a trib of the Queets?

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#286231 - 12/28/04 05:40 PM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

i doubt that fp.... \:D i remember when they did a show over on the satsop with Chuckie wiken guideing... that river was never the same again... it brought in so many people it was sad..... i did like watching the show when they fished Alaska and Canada they fished for real fish not bass and crap you get with ESPN shows...

mainly region 6

#286232 - 12/29/04 01:43 AM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Come on Fred... you gotta have at least one master copy of that WFH episode lying around the house. Send it my way so I can do the tape-to-tape thing on my VHS. Would love to add a local hero to my collection of FTW clips.

I would have to agree with the post about certain guides gaining considerable notoriety by doing the show. My first guided trip was with Chuck Wicken the year I moved to Grays Harbor. After watching the show in Syracuse NY (where I did my eye surgery training), I knew I just had to hunt this guy down once I moved to WA. Diss him if you must , but man does that guy know his water! I can honestly say that in 10 years, he has NEVER failed to find fish for me.

Regarding that Kispiox episode with Teeny.... Larry's flies weren't the prettiest, but he sure schooled Teeny on how to catch some trophy steel.

And the Truex episode on the Hoh.... up to that time, the largest steelhead landed on the airwaves, and a native at that. Larry says turn it loose, and Truex says NAH my folks just love fresh steelhead.... BONK! I about choked!

The episode with JD Love was so much classier.... they ended up catching the all-time biggest steelhead ever to grace the airwaves. WOW.... a gorgeous giant 25# Snider Cr plant that I suspect was probably a repeat spawner. Way to go JD!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#286233 - 12/29/04 09:49 PM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
Harbor-Hog Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Aberdeen, Wa
I lost all my copies of FTW. Anyone that has a collection of these want to make some extra money? I would be more than willing to pay for a copy or trade some tackle for a copy of some of the better episodes. Help a brother out.

Harbor-Hog

#286234 - 12/29/04 10:44 PM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
I have a lot of those old FTW shows on tape, they were great ....I'd get up at 6am sunday to watch them!! I remember the Hoh/Truax one, Larry was begging him to release that chromer...NOT! Doc, is the guide your talking about the red-head that used to side-drift the Satsop with eggs with the nuke stacks in the background?? If so I have that one on tape too, but Larry wasn't on the sled that trip it was Jeff Boyer. A bass fisherman chilling his ass off....

#286235 - 12/29/04 10:56 PM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
Local Offline
Returning Adult

FP may not want to reveal the secret float for his trip with Larry. But, The statue of limitations has run out, it was almost 20 years ago. They float the West Fork of the Hump. How do I know this ? Because we were right behind them, my partner had fallen in the river early on during the trip. Larry and FP offered warm clothes or something like that.

Anyway, that was when Native and Hacthery fish were more plentiful and there were very few sleds around if any.

#286236 - 12/29/04 11:31 PM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
OPfisher Offline
The Golden Boy

Loc: wa/ak
anyone know if I could find a copy of the JD episode?

http://www.olympicpeninsulaoutfitters.net/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Olympic-Peninsula-Outfitters/

#286237 - 12/30/04 01:58 AM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

I got the JD Love episode (Loveboat Luck) in my collection.

JD told me the story about Boyer's giant steelie. He was fishing a metallic pink SnG without much success. At the end of one drift, Boyer was jaw-jackin' while his SnG was practically sitting in the hangdown position. He finally quits talking and starts to reel in to make another cast.... BAM! That monster hit him on the way in!

That's one AWESOME Nantucket sleigh ride they captured on live video!

PM me and we can arrange getting a copy out to you.

TO ALL THE REST: The producers are running a poll to determine which 10 episodes (out of 20) they will be airing for the first run in 2005. Get your votes in!

FTW poll

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#286238 - 12/30/04 02:15 AM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
i dun care which ones they air,they should make a dvd boxed set, i just love to hear the music to that show, i used to watch that as a kid and i never cared for when they fished for trout, but loved to see steelie fishin..

#286239 - 01/01/05 04:51 PM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

This is cool!

When does the "2nd quarter" begin on FOX? All I need is dates and time. I hope the polling for the 10 shows to air nets all salmon and steelhead shows.....can't wait.

#286240 - 01/01/05 07:03 PM Re: It's back... YEE HAW!
Schwicker Offline
Parr

Loc: Lost
That sweet melody!!! I still hum it every time I'm rowing down the rivers. Love It!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Brad_tgl, Coho, NewNWSalmon3
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Excitable Bob), 841 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |