THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#287167 - 01/05/05 09:29 PM Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Recieved an email from Sean Orr suggesting that those concerned about the extreme netting schedule that will affect some prety dismal runs contact one of the Grays Harbor County Commissioners that apparently has some history going to bat for the sports anglers.

Please email Al Carter at ACarter@co.grays-harbor.wa.us

You never know if such things will ever do any good, but at least you might sleep a little better knowing that you tried. I'm sure this is especially important for any folks that call part of the state home ;\)

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#287168 - 01/06/05 12:06 AM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
Harbor-Hog Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Aberdeen, Wa
Bob,
Nicely done! I am emailing Al as soon as I am done posting this. Lets get it going guys. Quit complaining about it and fill this guys inbox with emails from us sport fisherman. It's worth a shot in my book. The netting schedule is absolutely radiculous these past few years. Every fish that I've got this year has had a net mark on it. Think, those are ones that managed to get by the nets. Anyways I thank you Bob and Sean Orr for getting us this info.

Harbor-Hog

#287169 - 01/06/05 12:24 AM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I eat my lunch, when I get one, at a spot where the nets are almost always in. Makes me kind of sad, but I also get to see when the fish are running. I'll send my e-mail off tomorrow.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#287170 - 01/06/05 12:44 AM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
linebacker53 Offline
Smolt

My note is on the way...

#287171 - 01/06/05 01:19 AM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
I sent mine.

fp

#287172 - 01/06/05 01:40 AM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
The WSC just recieved this from Sean-

Attention: Anybody concerned with saving wild steelhead

A travesty is about to happen in the Chehalis River Basin

The Quinault Indian Nation has set a tribal netting schedule for the lower Chehalis River for 5 days a week until April 13 to net wild steelhead. This has not been done in the past!!!!!!! This schedule has been done in coordination with and in agreement with the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife even though they are responsible for managing and preserving our fish resources.

The reason the WDFW is doing this is to trade steelhead for salmon. The trade will be between the tribe and the state to allow the white commercial salmon fisherman to have more days gillnetting Grays Harbor and the Chehalis this upcoming year.

The state has a responsibility to save the wild steelhead in the Chehalis River Basin. All the rivers in this basin are wild steelhead catch and release. Many of the rivers do not meet their “Healthy” escapement goals. Now as the WDFW and Fish and Wildlife commission talk about a wild steelhead moratorium they agree to let the Quinault Tribe destroy one of the last healthy runs of wild steelhead on the west coast.

Call these people and complain, call your legislators, call the governor and by all means call now because in the next few weeks the wild steelhead run will reach its peak in the Chehalis River and they will all be DEAD!!!!!!

Commission Members

Will Roehl, Bellingham

Ron Ozment, Cathlament

Dr. Kenneth Chew, Seattle

John A Hunter, Cashmere

Holly Ledgerwood, Pomeroy

Lisa Pelly, Bainbridge Island

Dr J Pete Schroeder, Sequim

Fred Shiosaki, Spokane

Bob Tuck, Selah

Phone: (360) 902-2267

Email: commission@dfw.wa.gov

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife staff to Call:

Jeff Koenigs
Director
(360) 902-2225

Larry Peck
Deputy Director
(360) 902-2650

Phil Anderson
Intergovernmental Staff Director
(360) 902-2720

Lew Atkins
Assistant Director, Fish Program
(360) 902-2651

Pat Patillo
Fish Policy Coordinator
(360) 902-2750

Ross Fuller
Fish Management Manager
(360) 902-2655

Bop Leland
Steelhead Program Manager
(360) 902-2817

#287173 - 01/06/05 09:46 AM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
fiishawk Offline
Parr

Loc: sw washington
Sent

#287174 - 01/06/05 11:00 AM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
MaxMad Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: "the middle kingdom" aka Cheha...
here is what i sent to the commisioner of fish & wildlife, please feel free to copy, paste, & modify to your liking & send to commissioner:

PLEASE STOP THE CERTAIN DESTRUCTION OF ONE OF THE LAST REMAINING HEALTHY WILD STEELHEAD RUNS IN THE STATE OF WASHINGTON BY GETTING THE EXTREME GILLNETTING SCHEDULE OF THE CHEHALIS RIVER UNDER CONTROL. PLEASE DO SOMETHING, DON'T LET THIS TRAVESTY HAPPEN ON YOUR WATCH !!! THX MAX

#287175 - 01/06/05 02:50 PM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Eric:

What i remember, 2-3 yrs. ago, was the price of fish being super low..........REMEMBER???? Then there was the super surplus---Alaska, Canadian, fish farms.......flooded the markets........price went way down.

No price for fish!!!! Why fish?????

Then I seem to remember, tribe Negotiated(????) a "spring chinook" netting schedule....REMEMBER????.....Only many of the nets were "sunk" to target on sturgeon, not the "negotiated" spring chinook....Remember that?????

Now the price of fish.....salmon, steelhead, and sturgeon, is way up......October - November showed a gill net fishery on the Chehalis River that I haven't seem since the "pre-bolt" times.

Now the "negotiated"????---Winterrun steelhead season is taking place......wow, some deal we get.......tribe 5 days a week, January 2 ------ April 13..... Wow what a deal for the many sportsmen that fish the local rivers.

Negotiations?????? Who is involved with this....surely you can't believe WDF....has the interests of the very people that pay the vast amounts of thier salaries........the sports people of the State of Washington and the thousands of "out of staters", that buy licenses, spents millions on fishing gear, plus many more millions on drift, jet, and other flowing devices.

Wow, we are getting sold "down the river", and I just don't see an end to it.

"worse day sport fishing, still better than the best day working"

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#287176 - 01/06/05 03:28 PM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Just as on the Columbia River, in an effort to prop up the economic disaster that the non-tribal commercial fishing fleet is, negotiations are taking place to take fish from one place and give them to the tribes (or other interests) so that the non-tribal commercials can get theirs in another place...

...and sportfishermen, not to mention the very conservation and perpetuation of the runs, are being sold down the river to get it done.

This must be addressed, loudly and clearly, at the public meetings are coming up on these issues.

The Commission, while mindful of the economic needs and wants of the commercial fishing industry, doesn't seem to be willing to do this on their own, but the Department has their ear all the time...we only get it at short and random periods.

We really need to make the most of those times, and we really need to ask the Commission to be partners in NOT selling off the fish runs and the sportfishermen to make a quick political buck for the ailing commercial industry.

While the leadership at the Department is so harvest oriented that I don't think they have room to think clearly about sportfishing interests, sportfishing dollars, and the relative low impacts of sportfishing to get those much bigger sportfishing dollars, they don't make the decisions.

The Commission does...and we have to remind them, forcefully, that their charter is NOT to rubber stamp the destructive policies of their Department heads, but it is to look out for the resources and citizens of the entire state.

They are not our enemy...they are the ones who make the decisions, and we have to get them on the side of the most economic, recreational, and conservation/perpetuation ideals that we can present to them.

Our support for them making the right decisions gives them the wherewithall to stand up to the blatant waste of economic and natural resources for the small economic gain of the few, gives them a political and moral crutch to lean on when they say NO to the Director and the policy guys who continue to push these decidedly poor policies.

Write letters, send e-mails, and GO TO THE MEETINGS...and remember, we need to get them on our side, not attack them...they are the decision makers, not the policy makers who come up with these hare-brained schemes.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#287177 - 01/06/05 03:34 PM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
MaxMad Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: "the middle kingdom" aka Cheha...
eric, are you kidding me?

#287178 - 01/06/05 03:48 PM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Todd,

I was perplexed by the aggressive steelhead gillnetting schedule, and this is the first I've heard of a WDFW trade of steelhead fishing time for more non-treaty commercial gillnetting opportunity. First, I think we need to verify this, as it doesn't make sense to me. That is, the numbers of steelhead present in the system all season long are very few compared to the numbers of salmon, so I don't see it being a particularly profitable trade by the Tribe. Nonetheless, it's worth verifying.

Second, if this is true, then it represents an action by WDFW to further "commercialize" a state game fish. With the Tribe fishing 5 days a week, or 71% of the hours/week, WDFW is agreeing with a commercial harvest in excess of the 50% treaty share. Since commercial harvest of steelhead by non-treaty fishing is prohibited by state law; and since trading steelhead fishing time for the treaty Tribe for additional salmon gillnetting time for the non-treaty fleet; is this an illegal action that appropriates commercial steelhead fishing for the non-treaty commercial fleet, as non-treaty commercial fishing is illegal?

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#287179 - 01/06/05 05:34 PM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
chromefish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: wa
For those of you who participated in the broodstock program on the Satsop, how does it make you feel that all the time and effort and the sacrifice of those native fish is now supporting the tribe? For me it really pisses me off. Never again.

#287180 - 01/06/05 08:57 PM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
Harbor-Hog Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Chromefish-
That's not the attitude that you should have. What about the ones that get by the nets and still make it to spawn? They're worth something. I know it's frusterating to watch them harvest fish that aren't near harvestable numbers. Not to mention how many wild silvers they're getting. I've spent hundreds of hours broodstocking Grays Harbor rivers. Never once did I think it wasn't worth my time. I would gladly do it all over again, and will continue to do anything I can to help out our fisheries.

I am all for rallying to try to ban the nets, but don't know how well that is going to go over seeming we failed at the last ban. Even though it wasn't directed at the tribes it would have been a step in the right direction. If it's money that we need, I am sure that if every sport fisherman knew for sure that some of the money that they spent on fishing tackle, bait, and equipment was going to go help fund our rally to ban nets they would be happy to pay an extra 5% or whatever. I know I would. Any ideas on that?

Does anyone know how and if we can get the WDFW to commit to a public meeting alot like what they had a few months back at the log pavillion? We would have to advertise the metting on the radio, newspaper, and I hate to say it but maybe even F&H news if you could get it in there in time. I only say that mag because it's in the hands of alot of people that love to fish and it comes out bi monthly.

Anyways if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears and ready to help.

Harbor-Hog

#287181 - 01/06/05 09:23 PM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
The word that I just got is that they are now considering opening things to sport kill to appease the sports anglers.

Hmmm, that makes a lot of sense.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#287182 - 01/06/05 10:10 PM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
Harbor-Hog Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Well that's one giant step in the wrong direction! Nobody wants that. Man sure seems like the WDFW really wants to get rid of the steelhead in our state. If this passes or whatever it has to do to make it legit there is going to be a huge impact on our steelhead runs in the near future. Keeps getting uglier and uglier. I am ready to quit buying my fishing licences.

Harbor-Hog

#287183 - 01/07/05 02:23 AM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
fuzzy Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: port orchard
all members of wdfw are public employees paid by our dollars
maybe we just need to find out how to fire them?
how about it tim?
can you fire these guys per a peoples inspired inititive?

#287184 - 01/07/05 02:46 AM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

Loc: kenmore, wa
email sent

#287185 - 01/07/05 11:43 AM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
Buck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Tumwater Wa
2 e-mails sent. One to the commission, and one to Al Carter. Also don't forget that this net schedule also affects the Hump!
Buck

#287186 - 01/07/05 03:29 PM Re: Upset about Grays Harbor netting schedule??
chromefish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: wa
Hog, Why did you participate in these programs? To increase habitat, to increase fishing opertunities for all SPORTSMEN, to increase numbers of fish returning to those rivers? These are some of the reasons I participated, and in my opinion it was a waste of time now. All those fish are now being caught by the tribe and we will soon be back to where we started if were lucky. You may be right about me having attitude but I feel I have a right to be pissed, and unless something is done by the state to stop the netting, I will never volunteer to help again.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |