Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#287931 - 01/11/05 01:05 AM DIgital Camera Help
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
I need to get a digital camera. Any recommendations for a camera that is outdoors worthy (or as worthy as it can be) would be appreciated.

#287932 - 01/11/05 01:13 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Pentax OPTIO 43WR.

Don't leave home without it!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#287933 - 01/11/05 01:59 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
I have a Nikon Coolpix 3200

Over 2700 pic's taken

It's not water proof, but I keep it in a plastic bag while fishing

And it's seen a lot of water (while in the bag) hasn't failed me yet.

And it's selling now for $160.00 (I paid $225.00)

Try these web-sites for Camera

http://dpreview.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=product.jsp&A=getpage&Q=RootPage.jsp

http://www.cameraworld.com/webapp/wcs/st...10001&langId=-1

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=main

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#287934 - 01/11/05 02:11 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
Go with a Canon Powershot. They use aluminum casing instead of plastic. Great quality and highly durable.

#287935 - 01/11/05 02:16 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Gary Johnson Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Fall City, WA
Mike,

If you are looking for a camera to take in the DB I would take a close look at the waterproof housings/bags that are available and then choose the camera you like best after that. The water resistent cameras will be only marginal cameras in most cases as they are optimized first for water resistance and second for picture quality.

Having said that there is no way I can recommend a camera without knowing a price range first \:\) But to give you an idea of what I think is a GOOD camera, I just bought my wife a Canon G6 for Christmas. It's only fitting as she bought me a Canon Digital Rebel last year. I really like Canon cameras and have had great luck with them over the last 25 years or so. I expect that I will be buying a waterproof housing for the G6 in the near future so that I can take it fishing with me.

BTW: Had I been more sure of storage on the DB when I went with you I would have had my Rebel with me. I seldom go fishing without it. Even though it usually just sits in the drybag.

#287936 - 01/11/05 02:19 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

I believe the single most important feature on a dgicam for the waterborne outdoor enthusiast is DROWNABILITY. It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when.

My camera paid for itself the first time it went in the drink. Would have ruined my Alaska trip last June, but that feature alone saved me.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#287937 - 01/11/05 02:48 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Gary Johnson Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Fall City, WA
I agree Doc, That is why I use a dry bag. I also will be getting a waterproof housing for my wifes camera so I can use it. Or I might just get one like yours. I haven't decided yet. Depends on the cost of the housing!

#287938 - 01/11/05 07:04 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Arklier Offline
Returning Adult

I have a Canon Powershot A95. It's a five megapixel camera, and I like it a lot. It takes great pictures, both macro shots (extreme close ups) and portriats. It has a flip out screen like a camcorder, so you can take shots from akward angles and still see what you're shooting, AND it takes regular AA batteries, so if they run down, it's just a matter of swinging by a gas station or quickie mart to pick up more. You can buy a waterproof case for it that will even let you use it underwater. And best of all, the camera only costs $300! That's a steal for a camera of this great quality.

Here's a front shot that shows the size:

Here's a back view of the camera showing the flip out screen. It swivels 180 degrees out from the base, and a full 270 degrees around its axis.

Here's an image of the waterproof case.

And here's a link to the review that I got some of the pictures from. It will tell you a lot more about the camera's capabilities.

Steve\'s Digicams A95 review

#287939 - 01/11/05 08:33 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
jimh Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Area 8-1 to 13, WA
Sony Cybershot DSCU60 is the camera I have. Waterproof to 5 feet, one handed operation, less than 200, but no zoom.

#287940 - 01/11/05 09:46 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
talljeeper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia
Sony Cybershot DSCU60
Great little camera! I have seen them as low as 149.00 on amazon and boaters world!

Whatta great buy!

#287941 - 01/11/05 11:08 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Spartan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Little Susitna River
Step up to the pump and buy yourself a good camera. The problem with the $150-$250 models id their computer brain processes to slow. You'll snap off a pic and wanna take another right away but guess what, its to slow and you miss your shot you wanted. This isn't that big of a deal fishin but if you happen to have kids and theyare doin something that is hilarious and you need a quick few pictures, the "cheap" camera is gonna make you wanna throw it against the wall cause you are simply not gonna get that 2nd, 3rd or fourth picture off in time. This holds true for family gatherings and any other events where things are rapidly happening.

Get yourself a Canon G6 and don't forget, at a minimum, a 512MB card but a gig card would be much better especially for all those long trips!

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.dcresource.com/

http://www.megapixel.net/

Check out the above sites to compare cameras and get reviews. I have a few friends that have taken this recommendation route and thank me every time we are together with our cameras, you won't be sorry you spent the money.

To the tune of "Just keep swimming" sung by Dori in Finding Nemo.

#287942 - 01/11/05 11:48 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Arklier Offline
Returning Adult

Most midrange digital cameras these days only have 1-2.5 seconds delay between shots if you prefocus, a bit longer if the camera has to do a lot of refocusing. The $400 (MSRP, you can buy it for less online) price tag on the A95 is considerd mid range, and the A95 takes about 1.5 seconds to take a second shot with no refocus. You can get cameras that have less, but then you're getting into the higher end range, with the Canon Rebel line and other $800 - $1,500+ cameras. If you just want to take a camera along on your fishing trips to get some snapshots of your buddies and their catches, you're not going to need a camera with less than 1 second delay.

#287943 - 01/11/05 12:58 PM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Ask 10,000 people their opinion on what digital camera to get and you'll get 10,001 good answers. As a camera manufacturers rep I can tell you that for any specific need there are a myriad of good choices. To get one that you will be happy with, you'll probably want to be a bit more specific than just a good "outdoor" camera. You could search through all the stuff on Steve's Digicam site and all the other resources out there and get thoroughly confused, but the best thing this board can provide, which these other sites can't, are the basic features that a fisherman needs to consider as opposed to which specific model or brand to get. If you are concerned about "weather resistance" first and foremost than the good Dr. is pointing you in the right direction. The Pentax is a great all around camera for this purpose, as are some of the new Olympus cameras. They are small and compact and offer good image quality with 4 meg or better. The brand I rep offers a housing like the Canon, but this is a good solution for the diver, not the fisherman. As a fisherman, if I could only have ONE camera I would probably be looking at one of these nice little "WR" units. As a photographer however I might have other needs that these "weather resistant" cameras just don't quite satisfy. Personally I use many different digital cameras. For a serious day of shooting on the river I'm usually lugging my trusty Canon 10D with Tamron 28-300 and have my sweet little Casio EX-Z55 standing by in my breast pocket. But this is a guy who can't decide whether he's fishing or taking pictures half the time. As an all around fishing camera, I'd consider the following features in this order: 4 meg or better, small and compact, WR, quick fire, 3X zoom, comfortable control layout, good battery life, 2" screen, SD memory preferable, intuitive menu and a movie mode. Although price is always a concern, brand does not have to be. All things being equal, quality is not an issue between brands in today's highly competitive market.

Good luck.

PS. Please support your local dealer whenever possible.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#287944 - 01/11/05 01:02 PM Re: DIgital Camera Help
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

I got a Canon Powershot Pro1 for christmas. I was tired of not being able to zoom in close on wildlife. Sweet camera. A little bulky to lug around banking it though.

#287945 - 01/11/05 01:42 PM Re: DIgital Camera Help
havnfun Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacomca,wa,pierce
i like my olympus weather proff camera.

#287946 - 01/11/05 04:43 PM Re: DIgital Camera Help
DeFrag Offline
Fry

Loc: Port Orchard
I do my homework until I'm blind & I chose the Canon Powershot. My 2nd choice would be either Sony or Olympus.
><<°>
http://gamefreaks.net/defrag/personal/

#287947 - 01/11/05 08:17 PM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Steeliegreg Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I agree with Nymphn, Pentax Optio 43WR, great little camera with great features. well priced and fits in your pocket.

#287948 - 01/11/05 08:58 PM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: S.W. Washington
sony makes a sweeeet new camera..by far the best for around $400
5.1 mega pixle 3x zoom the new zeiss lens which is top of the line.
Its called a sony ciber shot I believe...I could go look but Im not at home right now.

good luck and happy pictures

#287949 - 01/11/05 10:56 PM Re: DIgital Camera Help
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I got an Olympus C740 Ultra Zoom recently. It has a 10X optical zoom so the lense is equivalent to a 38-380mm zoom lense.

I take a lot more wildlife photos compared to fish pictures, plus all of the sports photos of the kids. Now I can zoom in on my sons halfway across the soccer field and get great quality images.

This camera has about 8 standard shooting options, is fully programable, has a variable power flash, and you can save up to 3 program modes. It was like switching back to my old Canon A-1 after all of these years going digital.

I actually get to use my photography skills again now that I get to have some input on modes, depth of field and all that goes into composing a great photograph.

I haven't looked for a waterproof housing, but that might not be a bad idea.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#287950 - 01/12/05 12:21 AM Re: DIgital Camera Help
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
Whatever you buy, the most important number is the megapixels. Don't get anything less than 3.2Megapixels. 5 would be the best for the price. Also if you buy one with Dx flash memory, a 512MB card is only $65. And that card will hold over 400 3.2MP pictures and 15 minutes of video.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |