Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#294419 - 03/10/05 08:43 AM Channel 7 crab coverage
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Did anybody else catch the minute or so of crab coverage on the 6 pm(or so) news. It basically said that sportsman had overharvested so their season had to be curtailed because of fears it may impact commercial season. It was the biggest bunch of propaganda I've seen in a LONG time.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#294420 - 03/10/05 09:53 AM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
Hoghunter Offline
Returning Adult

Jerry, where and how did they get that info? What a bunch of crap. Man this is ridiculous. There was hardly any keeper crabs left when it was opened for us last year.

#294421 - 03/10/05 10:03 AM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
Kramer Offline
Spawner

Loc: GH & PA, WA
I didn't see it but it sounds like they got an earfull of $hit from the WDFW. Still not quite sure how they can come up with any numbers they have confidence in publishing to the media when they themselves have admitted that the data isn't accurate and only estimates and assumptions.

Oregon, here I come.

#294422 - 03/10/05 10:23 AM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
mastiffman Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: everett
the fish and game dept people of washington state need a big kick in the balls and then a final kick in the ass

#294423 - 03/10/05 11:08 AM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
Pretty clever marketing by WDFW....First they come out with their new program to blame all this crabbing problem on the recs and they are smart enough to get it on the news before our next meeting. Once again we look greedy

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#294424 - 03/10/05 11:32 AM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I have been trying to contact KIRO to see if we cant get our side on the news. So far, all i get is recorede messages. Anyone got a number that a real person will answer?

PM me if you like

#294425 - 03/10/05 12:08 PM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
Dave,

KIRO7 input

Not a real person, but sometimes written info is better. We (PSA Sno-King) are pursuing this as well.

I saw that disgusting one-sided piece of crap last night. Ruined my appetite for dinner. Looked to be provided to KIRO by WDFW to set-up the sportsmen for the upcoming screw-job.

Here is what I sent them:

Your piece last night on recreational crabbing was quite disturbing. Was that provided to you by WDFW?

Did you know that 150,000 recreational crabbers only get 16% of the crab from inland waters and about 3% of the overall State harvest? The allocation split is extremely unfair and bad for the State economy as sport crabbing produces much more money per pound of crab than commercial harvest. The State has always had a very strong bias toward commercial crabbers and fishermen and against sportsmen. Please contact me for more info.

Are you still headed to the coast this weekend?

#294426 - 03/10/05 01:43 PM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Did you try the Kiro Newstips?

KIRO/SeattleInsider.com
2807 Third Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121
Phone: (206) 728-7777

#294427 - 03/10/05 02:00 PM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
QwikSticks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Brier, WA
Maybe a rally in front of the Kiro 7 building with boats in tow to get the sportsman side heard is in order. Show WDFW that if they won't listen were going to take it public and get everyone else in the state to at least be aware of whats going on.

#294428 - 03/10/05 03:28 PM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
OlyAngler Offline
Fry

Loc: Olympia, WA
Classic case of vindictive policy of WDFW and its leader in crime.

One response that has already come along is HB 2286 that was introduced in the House today. The bill will reduce the endorsement fee to $1.50, put the funds into a dedicated account, and make the change immediate should the bill pass. Don't get too excited, the bill won't get through this session. It is more of an attention getter for WDFW (the sponsors are the Chair and Vice-Chair of House Natural Resources and the Chair of House Capital Budget). However, should WDFW staff continue down the wrong road it very well could get overwhelming support during the 2006 session.

We the anglers have been willing in the past to self-tax to assist WDFW in increasing opportunity for our fisheries. Due to their resistance, vindictiveness, and lack of rational thought in dealing with the crab issue the recreational angler needs a refund!

#294429 - 03/10/05 04:27 PM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

While I would never advocate poaching it's sounding like the recreational fishers need to just go out and soak pots en mass state wide on a particular Saturday right next to the commercial and tribal pots during our winter/spring closure as a protest. Dump the crab back and let em write tickets. In fact report back the number of legal sized males caught and released on that one day.

#294430 - 03/10/05 04:48 PM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
JRfishing Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek
Hello,

My name is J.R. Rogers and I was moved to write this letter to you after watching the story you aired last night. It was very upsetting to see that a station with KIRO’s reputation, air a piece that was more propaganda that FACT. The story you aired, unfairly portrayed impact the recreational crabbers are having on the Puget Sound Dungeness crabbing resources. This story had very misleading and incorrect information about the crabbing situation in the State of Washington and that information is miss-taken as fact by many of your viewers. This is VERY damaging to use recreational crabbers & fisherman, at a time when we are working very hard to just maintain our minimal access to this resource.

The crabbing piece stated that the recreational crabbers are to blame for the reduced allocation and stock for the treasured Puget Sound Dungeness crabs. I would have expected the person(s) preparing this piece to research this matter and make sure that this is truly the case.

If they had done any research, they would have found out that the recreational crabber has the least impact on the Puget Sound crab harvest and virtually no impact in the total overall Dungeness Crab harvest in the State of Washington. Of the THREE main user groups, (The Tribes, The Commercial’s and the Recreational Crabbers), that share the harvestable quota for Dungeness crab the recreational crabber are the largest user group with the least % of allocation.

The FACT is the recreational crabber is allocated only 3% of the total state harvest and just 16% of the Puget Sound Harvest despite the fact the fact we have a over 800 times more licensed crabbers than the commercials and have a much great positive economic impact to the economy per pound of crab harvested.

There are over 150,000 State of Washington licensed recreational crabbers, I am one of those, and only 250 commercial crabbing licenses. These 250 commercial licenses are held by 181 commercial crab fishers, those 181 PERSONS receive 34% of the Puget Sound harvestable allocation and 48% of the States total harvestable Dungeness crab allocation.

The WDFW and it’s commission, have and continues to be very biased to the commercial fisheries and unethical in their allocation of OUR resources they are entrusted with. The Recreational Crabbers & Fishermen have and continue to discuss, reason, protest and even plea with the WDFW Commission to re-allocate the resources in a fair and equitable percentages. The fact is the WDFW has not changed, we have asked, the crabbing allocation percentages for the last NINE years, even thou the population of the state has nearly doubled since then. Even when a Federally mandated court order gives the Commission very clear explicate percentage allocation of the sustainable and harvestable to distribute between the user groups, the recreational user group often finds it self on the short end of the stick/allocation.

I would like to see KIRO correct some the damage cause to the recreational fishing group. One of the ways KIRO can right the wrong is to do a story, a well research story that would have all the facts pertaining to the crabbing situation. The are Two groups that represent the greater recreational fisherman in the Puget Sound, the PSA ( Puget Sound Anglers ) and the RFA ( Recreational Fishing Alliance ). These organizations are for the education and preservation of the recreational fisherman. I would recommend that you contact either or both of the presidents for the PSA & RFA. They are fully aware of the crabbing situation as is stands now in the State of Washington and could provide you with accurate and knowledgeable information regarding this matter.

Washington State PSA President
Steve Sande

SSANDE1@aol.com

RFA Washington State Chairman
Mike Gilchrist
thinker@gamefishin.com

RFA Washington State Vice-Chairman
Clint Muns
Fishhog211@aol.com

Sincerely,

J.R. Rogers
Everett WA
425-754-3934

I thought you might also like to know the true economic impact the Washington sportsmen have in the great State of Washington

Hunters 227000
Anglers 938,000
Total Expenditures $1.4 billion

Total Jobs 23000
Salaries and Wages $600 million
State Tax Revenue $95 million

Ripple Effect on the State Economy $2.41 billion

STATE TAX REVENUE INFORMATION
Sportsmen in Washington annually pay $95.2 million in state sales and fuel taxes – this could pay 2,471 teachers’ salaries or fund the annual education expenses for 14,650 students.

JOBS
Sportsmen support more jobs in Washington than Microsoft Corporation
(22,766 vs. 20,000).

TAKE A CLOSER LOOK

Twice as many Washington residents hunt or fish each year as attend Seattle Seahawk games (1.02 million* vs. 508,367).

One out of every six Washington residents hunt or fish.

Washington sportsmen annually spend 10 times more than the value of the state’s commercial seafood landings ($1.4 billion vs. $134 million).

Washington sportsmen annually spend nearly twice as much as the cash receipts from the state’s apple crop ($1.4 billion vs. $806 million).

* The figure for sportsmen is less than the combined number of hunters and anglers because a respondent who is both a hunter and an angler is counted in each category above

FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
THE CONGRESSIONAL SPORTSMENS FOUNDATION @ (202) 543-6850

#294431 - 03/10/05 05:17 PM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
JRfishing Offline
Returning Adult

Our PSA State President just spoke with Jay Johnson from KIRO TV just now and he basically recited the WDFW company line which is that the sports sector has doubled in size and that our catch has doubled.

Please write MR Johnson and voice your concerns with his facts or lack of them in the story that aired last night

jjohnson@kirotv.com

#294433 - 03/10/05 06:37 PM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Come on guys. We are just beginning to show out srtrength. Let's keep it up. How about someone running this over to the other boards too?

I have been talking to a newspaper reporter who seem interested in our story.

My letter.

Mr. Johnson. I must take exception to the report last night about recreational crabbing. Several important aspects of that report are erroneous. I suspect you simply reported what the WDFW told you, but the truth is not as they seem to believe.

The truth is recreational crabbers have had their season cut dramatically. Last year our seasons were less than 1/2 of previous years. For the department to state that we have taken more than our share of crabs is complete nonsense.

Beginning in May of 2004, recreational crabbers began completing catch record cards that will, eventually, provide hard date on the actual sport catch. However, at this time there is no way to accurately estimate the sport catch. Because the license required to take crabs is also used by those who dig clams and pick oysters, there is no way to know what percentage of license holders went crabbing, nor is there any way to estimate their success. (Last year we had several razor clam digs that had huge participation. Every one of those diggers had a shellfish license, but many never tried crabbing.)

I do know from many anecdotal reports that most recrational crabbers gave up early in the season, as there were no crabs to be found. Why? Because the commercial season was open well before the sport season. By the time we were allowed on the water, the crabs were long gone. It makes no sense to dramatically cut the sport catch with absolutely no solid data on our catch rates.

Please take the time to investigate this issue thoroughly, and then report the facts. Your viewers deserve no less.

Cordially,

Dave Vedder

#294434 - 03/10/05 06:47 PM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
JRfishing Offline
Returning Adult

Nice points Dave !!!!!

#294435 - 03/10/05 09:41 PM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
cast and blast Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Media outlets love to tattle on each other when they screw up.

This is a great opportunity to bring this to the attention of the powers at 4, 5, at 13 and let them discuss the situation with the real facts.

#294436 - 03/11/05 01:05 AM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
Anonymous
Unregistered

BOYCOTT CHANNEL 7

#294437 - 03/11/05 01:16 AM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

I called Jay Johnson today to get to the bottom of his news story. I identified myself to the KIRO news desk and was immediately connected to Jay's cell phone (didn't have to dial it)...that was surprising. He was out somewhere getting ready for a live interview but took about 15 minutes to discuss his story with me.

Right away I told him his story was not accurate. He bristled at that accusation and went on to defend it as taken from an "official" WDFW news release. I told him that just because it was an official WDFW news release didn't mean it was the truth and nothing but the truth. I told him that he should have checked his information with other sources and that he should go back and do some homework.

As I mentioned the names of WDFW officials he seemed to be "friends" with most of them. So it may not be an accident that the spin doctors at WDFW leaked the news release to him. In any case, the premise of the story was that the recreational sector had overharvested by a factor of double taking share away from the commercial crabbers. In other words the sports crabbers are the problem and they are the ones who need to be reigned in. WOW I said. No kidding? That is what you think the problem is?

I went on to explain that the sports crabber population has doubled in census in the last 9 years but our quota or piece of the pie has stayed the same. We did not catch twice as many crab as we were allowed to with our abbreviated seasons in 2004. There were just twice as many crabbers out trying to catch the same amount of crab we were looking for in 1996. Back then the sports sector was not able to harvest our 16% in Puget Sound so the allocation remained 36% commercial and 16% sport with the other 50% going to the tribes. Include the crab harvested off the coast outrside of Puget Sound and the sports percentage of the catch drops to a mere 3%.

He echoed another WDFW mantra and that is they want to know what it is we think would be fair. I told him that was simple. We want a 50% share of the non-tribal allocation or 25% share instead of the 16% we have now. Even at that our contribution to the economy is huge by comaprison to the 181 commercial crabber's contribution.

The sports sector does not want to stop commercial crabbing we just want a fair allocation. I suspect that many other news outlets will be given a chance to report on the "whole story".

#294438 - 03/11/05 01:20 AM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Quote:
BOYCOTT CHANNEL 7
Your war paint is showing again

#294439 - 03/11/05 10:31 AM Re: Channel 7 crab coverage
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, I'm sorry... too much humor for you???

Just following your lead, gramps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, stonefish), 1099 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |