THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#295731 - 03/22/05 01:50 PM tiger muskie in green lake?
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle
has anybody fished for them or heard of anybody that has caught any?

i'm bored out of my mind and need something to fish for, and this is the closest thing for me to try.

thanks,
michael

#295732 - 03/22/05 07:17 PM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
I believe there are a few reports posted over on WashingtonLakes.com, plus search through the archives as well. I don't recall anyone sending me a report on any big fish yet.

#295733 - 03/22/05 07:36 PM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
Haven't they only been in their a year?
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#295734 - 03/22/05 10:03 PM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

they have been in sence 2000, and they should be about full grown now to. with a few trophy size fish in there.

just got to get them to hit, i've fished for them a few times with out any luck

#295735 - 03/23/05 12:30 AM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
I didn't know Muskies were planted in Green Lake. I only fished for them once in Mayfield Lake. I was told that they are known as the fish of a thousand casts and that I would be lucky to even see one. Well, I casted at least a thousand times with no hookups, but I did see one. Looked like a torpedo moving through the water.

#295736 - 03/23/05 11:04 AM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
how would i find one in green lake....i make trips over there periodiacally in the summer and do fish it when ever i can, i've caught everything from 4inch bass to 15 pound carp. Muskie would definately bring me back though. feel free to pm me a tip if you know of one or its not a huge secret.

#295737 - 03/23/05 11:19 AM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
The problem with the Tiger Muskies is that there is too much natural forage in the lakes. They also tend to be reclusive. If you really want to target them I would use extremely large streamers and give them a lot of action.

#295738 - 03/23/05 11:32 AM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
Geoduck Offline
Returning Adult

I think the main problem with catching tiger muskies is to be fishing when the bite is on. The only way to do this is to fish alot.

I fished them a bit in the midwest, mainly from shore and caught a few, but nothing over 42".

I fished one little weedy lake in madison, WI somewhat similar to green lake. At times the bite can be spectacular. I can recall a 45 minute period where I caught 2 fish and missed 6 others on surface plugs (don't fish surface plugs if you want a high hookup ratio--both tiger muskies and pike are not very adept at actually hitting the plug, even after 3 or 4 tries on the same cast). During this time I also saw 4 other muskies two of which were chasing full grown ducks on the surface. At other times I fished days without seeing a fish.

These bites were most predictable in early spring after ice out. When the water first started to warm and then some stormy weather came through. It seemed like years with a late spring were best.

the other productive thing people did was to soak whole live suckers or carp (12-18" baits) under giant bobbers (obviously not legal here). There was much debate about how soon to set the hook, but in general folks let them eat the bait. Some old timers advocated at least 20 minutes after the bober went under before settting the hook. When one of these old guys had a take down there would at times be a crowd gathered waiting for him to set the hook. This live bait method was productive even when no detectable bite was on, but most of these folks fished a lot.

#295739 - 03/23/05 12:09 PM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
KNOPHISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN,WA,USA
I like to use big black bucktail spinners. Never fished for em at Green lake but they produced at the other lakes. I'd bet they are hanging out by the island.

#295740 - 03/23/05 01:54 PM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

i've heard of them hanging around that island chasing baby ducks, and i've also heard of them taking people's trout off their lines around the docks at the south end of the lake.

um would a big buzz bate works?

#295741 - 03/23/05 03:08 PM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
From what I understand the fish in Mayfield generally prefer small baits, five inches or less, perhaps green lake is similar. I think what has been said is exactly right, lots of time on the water becoming familiar with the lake, the fish, and eventually hitting a good "bite". I wouldn't expect these fish are at "full grown" though as they can be quite long lived. I have read studies for the state of washington that showed growth of about 5 to 7 inches per year.

If you want to learn about musky visit muskiehunter, muskiefirst, or muskie101, all good sources.

RM
http://www.bikinibaitcompany.com

#295742 - 03/23/05 06:14 PM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I too have heard of them eating baby ducks at Mayfield. Two years ago they got one that was 37 inches long and weighed almost three pounds!

#295743 - 03/23/05 08:43 PM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
Mike C Offline

Small weedy lake in Madison - would that be lake Waubesa?

I forgot to mention to check the Mayfield lake reports section on WashingtonLakes.com. There is a nice primer posted from Don. Also check the Mayfiled lake archives as there are several reports from 2001-3 You could e-mail Mayfield Resort as well. They would be happy to give you some info on musklie fishing.

Regarding Green lake, a pontoon or small boat would be very helpful. Work along any weedy areas in the early morning or evening hours with those big bucktail spinners and steel leaders. Cast, and cast some more!

Good luck.

#295744 - 03/23/05 10:08 PM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
Geoduck Offline
Returning Adult

Yup, Used to fish waubesa, when I was in grad school. A russian flyfisherman from the lab next door put me onto fishing it. He used to catch lots of musky every year out of waubesa on flies.

#295745 - 03/23/05 11:49 PM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

well i think i might be heading over during spring break, so ill give then a try. i will post some pics if i find one, though it will be about 2 weeks. i think i will get a big bucktail, and also try some 6 inch topwater plugs that i have.

#295746 - 03/24/05 01:32 AM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

you gonna try green lake or mayfield? i plan on fishing green lake the whole spring break.

maybe we'll run into each other out there

#295747 - 03/24/05 06:14 PM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

i'll be at green lake, but my spring break starts the week after next so i dont know if yours is then too or not, ill probably be bringing the other half of tgl with me too, so maybe we could all hook up if it works out.

#295748 - 03/24/05 09:55 PM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

i'mm out of school and fishup there all the time for trout, but i'm gonna start targeting the muskie now

#295749 - 03/25/05 09:29 AM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
Mike C Offline

I keep finding stuff over on my site. Merwin lake in Cowlitz county also has a few tiger muskie reports you can check out for techniques. Also Curlew in Ferry county and there is one more local area lake, Tapps in Pierce. They all have reports on muskie fishing trips.

#295750 - 03/25/05 01:47 PM Re: tiger muskie in green lake?
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

didn't tapps lake get drained?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 978 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |