Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#302949 - 06/08/05 09:49 PM Lewis River
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
I live on the east-side and have always wanted to fish the Lewis River. Is there a time during the summer months that someone would recommend for fishing this river? I have a driftboat that I would pull over to give it a try. I'm guessing there will be chinook and or steelhead in the river. I have no idea when or where to fish the river, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

RM

#302950 - 06/08/05 10:29 PM Re: Lewis River
Harbor-Hog Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Aberdeen, Wa
Your best bet would be to invest in a guide. I know it's not always cheap, but the experience is well worth it. Your chances of hooking fish, are better than even finding fish by yourself. I am sure there are exceptions to this, but I am talking about the majority of people.

I am sure the Lewis will pick up as the days go on. I don't think they got much of a springer run this year, but should get a good summer run. I know the river level is up early, and they drop it down as the months go on. So you can expect sled traffic down low. I've never fished the Lewis, but will someday. I think Stlhd1 might know how to fish the Lewis, he might even be able to squeeze you in.

Anyways good luck, and save some for the rest of us.

Harbor-Hog

#302951 - 06/09/05 03:13 PM Re: Lewis River
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
I fish the North Fork Lewis River regularly.

I agree with HH. A guide is your best bet.

However, if you'd rather not, the Lewis is not a difficult river to fish or to navigate. Launch your DB at Cedar Creek or Happa Park (they're about 1/2 mile apart), take it out at either the Golf Course or Eagle Island. The Golf Course launch is a bit rough. Eagle Island is better but still not great.

The spring Chinook run is about over, except for a few stragglers. The summer steelhead run should be picking up nicely. If you target summer runs, either side drift eggs or use a slip float with a jig, tipped with a sand shrimp tail. If your target is summer runs, take out at the Eagle Island ramp, rather than the Golf Course. The stretch between the Golf Course and Eagle Island has the rearing pens for summer steelhead. There are usually alot of summer runs hanging around the net pens. You'll see the net pens just off the main channel downstream of the Golf Course. Be sure to hit this stretch hard. I know alot of folks often put it at the Golf Course and float to Eagle Island, which is only about 1/2 mile, but it's usually loaded with summer runs. Sometimes, it's not hard to limit out in this short stretch.

There is no whitewater anywhere on the NF Lewis below Cedar Creek so it's an easy float. However, the sleds will likely be thick, especially if you go on a weekend. They don't usually slow down for DB's either. Have patience and keep your eyes open for fast moving boats.

Good luck. Let us know how you do.

#302952 - 06/09/05 03:45 PM Re: Lewis River
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
RiverMan. I'd leave the db at home. The prime month for summer runs is July. Mid July being peak. The fall nooks ususally show up at the end of july, but not getting really good until September (coho show up that time, too). If slamon is your game, I'd stick with October, November and even December.

I'd go with the recommendation of hiring a guide who operates a sled. Boondogging is the name of the game on that river.

Not to say that you won't hit fish in the DB, but you if you want the action, boondogging is it.

Email Stlhdr1. If you don't book with him (he works full time but sometimes guides on his off days), he can refer you to other guides such as Sonny, Gabe, or John. You probably would need to fill a boat though, as the demand is high for a summer runs in July.

Heck, if you do bring your db, you can easily launch at the Meat Hole and get all the fish you want between there and Blood Rock. Or, add to that Johsonvillebrats Creek, and you have access to a ton of fish. You can take out at the Hapa launch. About a 1/4 mile float! Used cured prawns in the Meat Hole (by the water fall) or in Blood Rock and you will limit out so fast, that it is stupid.

Or, as other's have pointed out, make the longer float and pitch at the pods of fish you will see.

Have fun. Be patient as there will be a ton of sleds zooming around. It's a sledders river, so don't get too irked by waves, wakes, etc.

#302953 - 06/09/05 03:57 PM Re: Lewis River
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Thank you Parker for sharing your knowledge.....consider your obligation to the board complete for the month ;\)

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#302954 - 06/09/05 04:45 PM Re: Lewis River
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Parker,
Like NOFISH said above.It's about time you contributed to this board \:D ,it's been awhile ;\)
Good luck,
STRIKE Z \:\) NE

#302955 - 06/09/05 04:54 PM Re: Lewis River
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Here is the long and short on the Lewis. The fish below were caught by some friends of mine on 3 consecutive passes: Game over---back at the ramp at 7:00 Am. \:\)

In fact the fish are so ravinous other steelhead will try plucking the bait from the mouth of the steelhead you are playing. The river banks are flanked with Penhouse pets wearing nearly no clothing while eating grapes and expensive cheese on beach towels. Gas in Woodland is four cents a gallon and all roads lead to Happa. Good luck, and my the force be with you.

#302956 - 06/09/05 05:04 PM Re: Lewis River
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally posted by STRIKE ZONE:
Parker,
Like NOFISH said above.It's about time you contributed to this board \:D ,it's been awhile ;\)
Good luck,
STRIKE Z \:\) NE
Not only have I *not* been fishing since Mid-May, but the wife is going to a 10 day conference in Spain next week. No fishing *and* I am in charge of the two kids for 10 days!

I probably won't get on the water until July 1. I am in some serious fishing withdrawls now.

How about you all just post photos of your fish for me. At least I can see what I am missing out there. Come on Bob and Doc, help me out here.

This sucks.

#302957 - 06/09/05 05:32 PM Re: Lewis River
fishindude Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma
Kinda like what sol duc said. Back by 7am. Fishing that river in the summer months, Gotta get there EARLY. As soon as that sun comes up over the river, its done for the day, until the sun goes back down.

#302958 - 06/09/05 06:31 PM Re: Lewis River
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally posted by fishindude:
Kinda like what sol duc said. Back by 7am. Fishing that river in the summer months, Gotta get there EARLY. As soon as that sun comes up over the river, its done for the day, until the sun goes back down.
I don't think this is an obvious troll, but if it is, I just bit.

There is no need to be on the water early on the NFL. Those fish bite all day long.

Unfortunately, a lot of boaters (guides included) who don't have the confidence in themselves, their gear, boating abilities, etc, find the need to be down at Oooh Ahhh at 4:30 am. (gotta be the first one at the hole!) By 6:00 am, it's a full on goat rodeo, with boats spinning circles, running over fish, etc.

The fish get run over so many times that they get a tad bit on the spooked side. Of course, since this Goat Rodeo doesn't have the confidence to fish else where (you can only catch fish at the Golf Course and Oooh Ahh, right?), they just pound and pound and pound the same old slots over and over again.

Whatever. :rolleyes:

We ususally hit the water by 9:00, just as the last of the Goat Rodeo is leaving. We might fart around a bit, but we really don't plan on doing an serious fishing until after noon. Once the Rodeo leaves and the fish calm down, those fish bite like there's no tomorrow - all day long, sunny or not.

Up until about 3 years ago, we almost never saw any real early morning folks. Most people just hit the water at a reasonable hour, did their thing, got fish, and it was all good.

Now, I'd be willing to bet there are people in that parking lot at 4:00 am in the summer time. Amazing.

(Exclude out the guides who run multiple trips in a day. I can see where if you had the stamina to do it, that's a $$$ cow! 8 guys per day! Oof. I see $$$!!!)

Oh well. At least I get to sleep in. Unless you really like being on the water early, there's no need to. The NFL fishes better during the evening, any ways. The last 2 hours before dark are killer. Way better than the morning.

#302959 - 06/09/05 08:39 PM Re: Lewis River
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Hey coho angler, thanks for the advice. Parker... can't tell if you're pullin my leg or just what...hmmm. And here I thought you were an fellow Walla Walla River Steelhead fisherman!

Thanks guys...wouldn't hire a guide to fish steelies but wouldn't hesitate for falls.

RM

#302960 - 06/10/05 12:54 AM Re: Lewis River
winterchrome Offline
Smolt

Loc: Oly
Heck, the walla walla is one of the finest steelie rivers in the state! My first steelhead came from that little beaut, 36" nate.

P.S. Don't mind the 6 posts, I would never ask where or how to catch a fish in our states waters.

#302961 - 06/10/05 01:01 AM Re: Lewis River
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Six posts?

Yea the Walla Walla used to be alot better than it is now. They cut the smolt releases in half over the last 6 yrs or so and it's really slowed things up.

RM

#302962 - 06/10/05 12:24 PM Re: Lewis River
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally posted by RiverMan:
Parker... can't tell if you're pullin my leg or just what...hmmm. And here I thought you were an fellow Walla Walla River Steelhead fisherman!

So, exactly what part of all that info I posted do you think is a crock, or a pulling your leg???? Sol's posting of my photo is an obvious troll, but I wasn't pulling your leg. I have fished a ton on the NFL. I seem to do OK on that river. What I wrote is all true and not BS.

I don't get it.

Hey, whatever. If you think I'm pulling your leg, that's fine with me. It's just free advice and info. Use it, or don't.

I fished the WW heavily in the 80's - back when it was one of the top (sleeper) steelhead rivers in the state. I haven't really fished it since I came to Seattle. I do know that land access to a lot of the good places to fish is restricted. Probably helps now to know the land owners, etc. I caught a ton of fish on that river, and have a ton of fond memories of my time there.

#302964 - 06/10/05 10:55 PM Re: Lewis River
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Thx Parker, sometimes when correspondence is only through a written forum such as this it's a bit difficult to tell if someone is telling you something "tongue in cheek" or not.

A million memories for me as well on the Walla2. I was raised in Walla Walla and fished the river first in the late 70's when a great year was 10 fish! At that time no hatchery fish were put in the river and wild fish could be retained, it was fun but slow, slow. Once the hatchery fish were introduced it changed in a big way. You might not be aware of it Parker but spring chinook have now been reintroduced to the Walla Walla and several hundred have returned in each of the last two years. It's hoped that before long there will be some very strong runs allowing sport harvest.

kind regards,

RM

#302965 - 06/11/05 12:38 PM Re: Lewis River
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally posted by RiverMan:
You might not be aware of it Parker but spring chinook have now been reintroduced to the Walla Walla and several hundred have returned in each of the last two years. It's hoped that before long there will be some very strong runs allowing sport harvest.
My old fishing buddy is still there. He keeps me in the loop. Yeah, I heard about the springers.

I hear they are chrome bright and packed full of sea lice by the time they enter the WW. ;\)

Actually, other than being told they are dark as boots, I have yet to see a photo of one, so that's only hersay. ;\) Although, I bet if you could get one down by the mouth of the WW, they might be OK. Past that, I bet they "ripen" up pretty quickly. Eh, who knows - I sure don't. I never saw a salmon of any kind on the WW.

Post some photos of some WW fish when you start to catch them. I certainly will enjoy the photos. Include some scenery with it, and I'll play the "guess where this is", game! \:D

#302966 - 06/11/05 01:03 PM Re: Lewis River
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
All this Walla Walla talk.

Now I have to go make a sauteed WW sweet burger.

Never fished the river, but it's the best onion on the planet. \:D

Oh, yeah. You can believe Parker about the Lew. He knows it really well.

He had a good instructor.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#302967 - 06/11/05 10:44 PM Re: Lewis River
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Parker speaks the truth, and nice pic Sol.. That was taken off the bow of my boat! You picture whore... \:D

Keith \:D

#302968 - 06/12/05 12:05 AM Re: Lewis River
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Actually Parker the springers entering the Walla Walla will be in great shape. I have caught a good number of the springers on the Umatilla that are beautiful! Not pure chrome like the fish at Cathlamet but still very nice! Springers hold up well, they are an awesome fish. Heck they catch them in Catherine Ck. which is a trib to the Grande Ronde, 4 dams higher and hundreds of miles further that Walla Walla...still in great shape.

I have a number of Walla Walla fishing pics that I would share with you but have no idea how to post an image here.

RM

#302969 - 06/13/05 03:34 AM Re: Lewis River
stlhdhntr Offline
Alevin

Loc: hockinson
I dont post much(never), but after hearing parkers comments on the nfl, and the response of it possibly being bull, i just had to chime in. I caught my first fly rod steelhead off the nfl last year in early aug. at 2pm. it was 90+ deegrees out and full sunshine, not a cloud in the sky. so i can truly beleive they bite all day long no matter the conditions. by the way i avoid the meat hole like the plague! just not my seen, especially stuck fishing the bank.

steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |