LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#303600 - 06/15/05 06:51 PM Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
Anonymous
Unregistered

See the full story at the link:

http://www.skagitvalleyherald.com/news/news99.txt

"Adult nutria — which can weigh up to 20 pounds — routinely consume about one-fourth of their body weight in vegetation each day. And, while they can eat nearly any supple vegetable, they prefer to tear up plants to eat the root.

Davison said female nutria produce about five litters per year, giving birth to as many as 12 young in each brood.

Because it consumes and produces so much, nutria are "just abominable as far as the impacts on local habitat and wildlife," Davison said.
"

One of you engineers here can do the math...but get these critters making babies and the entire west side of the state can be at risk of being over-run.

Sadly, I sold all my 220 and 330 connibar traps when they outlawed them..!

This is bad...very bad.

Mike

#303601 - 06/15/05 07:17 PM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
Capt.Dan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Gig Harbor Washington
Maybe the WSDFW will let us throw buzz bombs at them. Then we can all wear Nutria skin caps on the river. \:D

#303603 - 06/15/05 07:46 PM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
A guy I work with lives in Lousiana. I go to a meeting there and he takes me out Nutria hunting. They have 4x4's with huge lightbars. They drive up and down the canals and light up the banks. When the lights hit them they run for the water. Guys in backof the trucks have full auto or semi auto .223's and they spray the bank popping as many as they can. If you miss you have to chug a beer. They are infested and it's legal to kill them anyway you can.

#303604 - 06/15/05 07:57 PM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
Anonymous
Unregistered

TK, that sounds like fun.......all but the alcohol and guns part NOT a good idea to mix the two, IMO.

And yeah...I've seen what can happen. Ain't worth the chance.

Nutria (aka "Poor Man's Mink") were first bought to the US to be used in place of mink ranches. They were easy to pen raise, prolific as he11, and were a nice pelt when properly raised.

But the anal rights activists (read PETA) got the fur industry hitting an all time low, so all the nutria ranchers in the south just dumped their stocks in the rivers, lakes and bayous.

Being rodents, they do what rodents do...eat everything in sight and have LOTS of babies. Nutria are mature to breed at 6 mos. old, so a female born now can have 2 litters before her first year of age...

If you see one of these things, be sure to identify it as a nutria (looks like giant muskrat..NO flat tail like a beaver) and then "terminate its life".............with extreme prejudice.

Mike

#303605 - 06/15/05 08:18 PM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
We need to start a commercial industry that utilizes everything Nutria and then let the commercial trawlers trade their fishing for nutria. Should not take too long to negate the problem, just put a profit into the mix and see them little nutria run......Fishy..................

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#303606 - 06/15/05 08:25 PM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Sounds like a Snipe hunt to me. If they're so prolific why couldn't they come up with a photo of the vermin?

#303607 - 06/15/05 08:34 PM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Sol_on_the_Duc:
Sounds like a Snipe hunt to me. If they're so prolific why couldn't they come up with a photo of the vermin? early today?

Mike

#303608 - 06/15/05 09:24 PM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
when they passed the no trapping law i contacted the game department and asked if it was legal to shot beaver to get rid of them it is they come out just before dark and are fun to shoot with a .22

#303609 - 06/15/05 11:53 PM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by larryb:
when they passed the no trapping law i contacted the game department and asked if it was legal to shot beaver to get rid of them it is they come out just before dark and are fun to shoot with a .22
If it was a nuisance animal and there was no other way to remove it, I can see shooting a beaver with a .22, and then only in mid-winter when the pelt can be utilized...assuming the beaver could be recovered after being shot.

A beaver, when wounded, will dive deep and generally try to drown whatever it thinks has ahold of it. If shot, it will dive and likely die on the bottom....what a waste of one of natures coolest creatures, IMO.

If doing damage, I got no problem with controlling them...otherwise I leave them alone. Yeah, they are a 50 lb. tree eating rodent...but a neat critter to have around.

Just the 2 centavos of a trapper with great respect for all animals.

Mike

#303610 - 06/16/05 01:40 AM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
Nightwatch Offline
Parr

Loc: seattle
Mullets? Check. Mason jars? Check. Skynyrd, Bud bottles and inbreeding jokes? Check, check and check.How about nutria recipes? Check that one off as well. Courtesy of the southern redneck boys in the bayou who evidently will eat anything that moves I present you the link toward better days of home cooking.

And no joke here is a link from the LDWF with actual recipes for cooking these creatures. Hell if you can't get a fish look closely in the backwater and marshes near the river you may find dinner one way or another.

Heres another for kicks. And one photo of the floating hunting camp needed to get a nutria. Good luck men.
http://www.s-t.com/daily/11-97/11-19-97/c07ad135.htm

#303611 - 06/16/05 02:24 AM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Somebody say Snipe?????

Got this shot a few weeks back during my lunch hour in Aberdeen. Gotta love that 10x lense.

We have a number of theses Nutria in GH county. There was one spot on a slough on the Chehalis that I could always count on bagging one or two a trip, depending how quickly I could shoot. The farmer appreciated the pest control efforts.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#303612 - 06/16/05 11:28 AM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: seattle wa
another great reason not to support the fur coat industry. and you can bet the fur coat industry or the local furriers will not be held responsible for the releases and the resulting damages. if it was a smelly hippie that releases em .... they would be calling for a linching but since it is rich biatches in fur coats that supports this spreading of invasive rodents it will just be considered "an invasive speciese" instead they should be considering women in fur coats an invasive speciese.

#303613 - 06/16/05 12:06 PM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lupo:

The "fur coat industry" was a great way to utilize one of our resources, rather than waste it.

Fur bearer populations need to be controlled just as deer and other animal populations. They are a totally renewable resource, and should never be wasted.

Beaver in this state are quickly becoming over populated...again. A check of the history will tell you that beaver populations are at their historical high.,..as in just as many as when the Hudson Bay Company trappers were here so many decades ago.

The ones accountable for the release of these nutria in the south are those morons that took the easy way out of their stocks...not the fur industry.

Blaming the fur industry as a whole for this potential disaster would be like holding Richard Petty accountable for fast cars on the fwy.

Raccons, wild mink, beaver, coyote, bobcat, etc. all have their place in nature, and in man's world. A totally renewable resource that can be appreciated, enjoyed, and never wasted due to man's stupidity. Unlike petroleum products, the fur industry uses a completely renewable resource...just like fishing...but it should never be mis-managed or wasted.

Just rambling on, I guess. This is not a simple issue (Nutria), and it will be very difficult to keep in check if the population gets out of hand.

Mike

#303614 - 06/16/05 02:24 PM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
Hmmmm...nutria hunting
If they produce 5 litters a year, that's a lot of chances to hunt them in rut. Where can I get some nutria decoys?
Carp and nutria...the ultimate surf and turf dinner?

#303615 - 06/16/05 05:33 PM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
Nightwatch Offline
Parr

Loc: seattle
Cupo,

Thats nasty. But I have provided you the recipes. Check the LDWF site for cooking instructions. Yuck!

#303616 - 06/16/05 05:45 PM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike B:
The above is IN the article on the website link posted in my first post.
Must of missed it. Concentrating on work to hard I guess. ;\)

#303617 - 06/17/05 02:06 AM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
Rip Tide Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Acme, WA
ISO,

I wouldnt even waste my time replying to that bunny hugger lupo. He has been on here forever showing his sympathy for the animal rights wackos as he is one.

#303618 - 06/17/05 11:24 AM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
MB
"that sounds like fun.......all but the alcohol and guns part NOT a good idea to mix the two, IMO.

And yeah...I've seen what can happen. Ain't worth the chance."

If you have ever been down in the swamps of LA. at night with them boys the guns are the least of your worries. ;\) they are part French after all.

In all seriousness the drinks where after the rat shoot.

#303619 - 06/17/05 11:56 AM Re: Nutria Invade Skagit County - OH CR@P!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Theking:
If you have ever been down in the swamps of LA. at night with them boys the guns are the least of your worries. ;\) they are part French after all. In all seriousness the drinks where after the rat shoot.
You mean if your "buddy" says "I got your back"...the it's time to worry?..

Nuthin like sitting around with a few toddies (or cups of shine) after the hunt...lots of good memories there. Once the weapons are empty (and re-checked) and put away...time to relive the events.

Anymore though, I don't kill anything unless it needs to be killed, or eaten.. \:D

Off to spend the day chasing Ghost Spingers (read "rowing") here on the Skagit. Got my dad and biz partner coming up...and it's raining (what a shock). Hope they don't "noodle out" on me half way through the drift.

Film of the carnage at 11:00.

Mike

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |