LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#305225 - 07/05/05 11:12 AM Best diver to use? (Dipsy, Deep Six, etc.?)
Richard E Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm a new salmon fisherman.

A friend recommended that I look in to buying/using divers to get down to certain depths. Of the several brands and models out there, are there any recommendations on which to use and why?

Also, is it recommended I use a certain length and action of rod to most effectively use them?

I am guessing that weight/diameter of line and its type would affect how deep the diver goes. Am I guessing correctly? Any recommendations on lines?

Finally, does a guy REALLY need to use those snubbers that are advertised to go along with the divers?

Thanks for your help!

#305226 - 07/05/05 11:21 AM Re: Best diver to use? (Dipsy, Deep Six, etc.?)
EmptyFreezer Offline
Parr

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
Personally I like the Deep Six by Leur Jensen. Comes in several colors and sizes & I like being able to trip it to make it come to the surface easier. They make one with double the weight that dives REAL deep. I use a spectra line, 30lb. Power Pro to avoid line drag and I do not use snubbers. My favorite rod to use with Deep Six's or any other diver is a 8-1/2 to 9 ft. Fiberglass or E-Glass rod, this gives it that shock/stress absorption that a snubber would provide. Do not use a graphite rod under these circumstances -to much prolonged load.

Hope this helps!

EF
Meets 2nd Thursday 6:30pm @ SCS Center 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020
2 bldgs South of Edmonds Ferry
See you there!

#305227 - 07/05/05 02:26 PM Re: Best diver to use? (Dipsy, Deep Six, etc.?)
Keysrob Offline
Fry

Loc: Lake Stevens
Deep six. By far the easiest to use. I've tried the Pink lady but just can't get it to dive as deep, based on the same size.

I like being able to adjust the trip set, for when I add a flasher/dodger or run a cut-plug solo.

#305228 - 07/05/05 04:00 PM Re: Best diver to use? (Dipsy, Deep Six, etc.?)
explorer Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: canada
Deep six definetly goes down deeper, but that is not necessarily what you always want.
We usually use the pink lady in the early morning when the salmon are on the hunt, and when being higher (about 30 feet) is usually a good thing.

#305229 - 07/05/05 05:38 PM Re: Best diver to use? (Dipsy, Deep Six, etc.?)
Rapid Robert Offline
Spawner

Loc: Selah Wa.
Only place we use those types of divers is around Astoria on the CR, and we use Delta and EZ divers, with great success

#305230 - 07/05/05 06:22 PM Re: Best diver to use? (Dipsy, Deep Six, etc.?)
Kisutch Ketcher Offline
Parr

Loc: Bonney Lake
We use deep six and delta divers, they both seem to do about the same, but deep six is definitely easier because of its trip feature.

Try the new comet-tail deep six, every extra bit of flash is nice for salmon fishing

#305231 - 07/06/05 11:20 AM Re: Best diver to use? (Dipsy, Deep Six, etc.?)
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Delta / EZ divers.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#305232 - 07/06/05 11:58 AM Re: Best diver to use? (Dipsy, Deep Six, etc.?)
MaxMad Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: "the middle kingdom" aka Cheha...
tried them all, my favorite is the 4 oz red, smallest one made EZ Diver, its the only 1 I will spend money on, there are knock offs of it that will work in a pinch but, in my opinion, unless your strictly fishin for silvers on flat water, pitch the deep 6 over the side...

the EZ Diver runs deeper than the deep 6, the deep 6 does not go run deep enough for me, you can pull & pull & it still runs high & when the deep 6 trips, you HAVE TO bring back it in the boat to reset it, with the EZ Diver you can reset it without bringing it back in the boat, that is handy when the sea is rolling & you need one hand for the boat...

#305233 - 07/06/05 12:14 PM Re: Best diver to use? (Dipsy, Deep Six, etc.?)
kjackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Townend, WA
I'll vote for the Dipsey. When I use a diver, it's mostly for silvers, and I like the flash of the metallic Dipsey as well as the ability to adjust it to run to the side. This means I can put it where I want it in the wake. The first year I fished the Dipsey in the Sound, I found that it would take as many kings as silvers.

I haven't fished the Deep Six except for a couple of times, so I can't compare it to the Pink Lady diver, which is the only other weighted diver I have any experience with. I'd rather use a manual downrigger than most divers, but that's me.

Keith

#305234 - 07/08/05 01:00 PM Re: Best diver to use? (Dipsy, Deep Six, etc.?)
Richard E Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
Thanks everyone for your input!

Do you usually use a flasher or dodger with your diver?

#305235 - 07/08/05 01:30 PM Re: Best diver to use? (Dipsy, Deep Six, etc.?)
kjackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Townend, WA
I usually use some kind of thin-bladed spoon-- like a Coyote. That's one reason why I like a metallic-finished Dipsey-- the diver provides some flash, and I don't have to bother with a flasher.

Keith

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |