THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#307034 - 07/21/05 07:28 PM What the hell was it?
shoemaker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Scratch
I fished westport yesterday. Hooked something on a meat line that just wouldnt come up and wouldnt stay still. I hooked it in 115ft of water and had 75ft of line out. It hit a hoochie going pretty fast. First it just stayed down, in the wind i thought i had an old crab line or something. Then it went on a big loop staying down the whole time. After about ten minutes of chasing and watching line go out. it started coming up slowly not alot of head shake though. I got to ten feet of wire out and it must haveseen the boat because it took out 85 ft of wire in a couple seconds and then broke the #60 mono below the the weight. Felt far to heavy to be a king, didnt fight like a blue shark maybe a big halibut? If it had spots on its back it was a record book fish.

Any other ideas?

#307035 - 07/21/05 07:30 PM Re: What the hell was it?
supcoop Offline
Lady Killer Deluxe

Loc: Kirkland
North Korean submarine

#307037 - 07/21/05 07:37 PM Re: What the hell was it?
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

I had an experience like this up near Sucia Island a couple years ago. I had about 200 ft of downrigger out with a flasher and hoochie in about 400 ft of water. The take down was so violent I was sure I had hooked something on the bottom. Absolutely spooled everything. I had a pretty good sonar at the time and it showed nothing by the time I could get my wits about me. Went back to take another pass just to see if I missed an underwater obstruction, but none was found. I figured a seal or ????

#307038 - 07/21/05 07:58 PM Re: What the hell was it?
Jamie Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kirkland
I had a similar experience once near Lyle Point Anderson Island in the South Sound. I followed what ever it was around the bay for about 40 minutes before some dumb #%*$ in another boat crossed my line and broke me off. I've since guessed that it must have been a six gilled shark. I have no idea what you got.

#307039 - 07/21/05 09:32 PM Re: What the hell was it?
Bank Angler Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bellevue, WA
Giant squid, maybe?

I once saw this salmon fishing show where they had a camera on the downrigger to see how the salmon were attacking the bait/lure and they caught a brief glimpse of a young giant squid taking a swipe. Quite an amazing video.

--Bank Angler

#307040 - 07/21/05 10:57 PM Re: What the hell was it?
Slowleak Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent, WA
It could have been a giant skate. I had one do about the same thing last year out of Westport. Unlike a halibut, their mouth is on the bottom side of their body so even if you could get them to roll over, it’s still like bringing up a barn door because they come up flat. We estimated the one I had to be well over 80 pounds. They don’t shake their head because they don’t really have one but the surface area of their wings is huge so just a little bit of wing flutter creates a whole lot of power and movement. I thought I had kelp with rocks in it, until it took off then I thought it was a halibut. I didn’t think I would ever get it to turn. I was mooching with a medium action graphite salmon rod with 50# Power Pro and 30# leader; I broke the rod off right above the first guide. I was really pi$$ed when I realized I broke a good pole for a junk fish. We got it up to the boat and looked at it for awhile and took some pictures then I retrieved the other half of my rod and then cut the line and it kind meandered off.

#307041 - 07/22/05 08:16 AM Re: What the hell was it?
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

I'm thinking big shark. With all that warm water it could be almost any kind of pelagic shark.

#307042 - 07/22/05 08:41 AM Re: What the hell was it?
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
A couple of years ago we were fishing Swiftsure and one of the guys hooks(fishing darts) something small on the bottom and as he was reeling it up he assumed he had lost it because it had gotten lighter on the way up. No bumps or tugs just lighter. When he got it to the surface we were shocked to find the back half of a rat fish still twitching!!! Something bit it in half with teeth sharp enough that he never felt it.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#307043 - 07/22/05 10:46 AM Re: What the hell was it?
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
With the warm ocean temperatures, there could be alot of things out there that we don't normally see - King mackeral, wahoo, cobia, numerous species of shark, etc. Could have been almost anything.

Here's what it probably wasn't:

Seals - they breath air so it would have surfaced immediately if stressed.

Tuna - There might be some around but if you hooked even a small bluefin or yellowfin, it would have completely spooled you in about 10 seconds. Or less.

Chinook salmon - Even a huge one would have fought alot like a smaller one. That is, a series of headshakes, several long panicked runs, and the usual rolling and twisting. Your description doesn't seem to fit.

My guess - Shark.

#307044 - 07/22/05 12:57 PM Re: What the hell was it?
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Giant Squid would be my guess as well.
I think a shark would have given you some head shakes.
Neal

#307045 - 07/22/05 01:04 PM Re: What the hell was it?
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
I once caught a Coddle Fish trolling off of Sekiu. It fought in a very similiar manner. We didn't have any idea what it was. Very strange creature. It hardly fought at all. When we fist saw it, we thought Halibut! but no. We got it up to the boat and it started to climb out of the water up the line with those weird tentacle like things. It then freaked out and screamed off about 40 yards of line and just sat there. We motored up to it and cut the leader to get the flasher back.

That was weird.

Here is a picture of one ... cuttle fish

#307046 - 07/22/05 01:09 PM Re: What the hell was it?
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
Had the same thing happen off PA a few years ago. We where headed in and so was whatever was on the line. So we just motored and followed it for almost and hour. When we finally pressured it it turn and headed out to see and snapped the line. Skate or 6 gill even the possiblitiy of basking shark being snagged I suppose.

#307047 - 07/22/05 01:22 PM Re: What the hell was it?
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
A similar situation happened to me about 20 years ago at Westport while out on a charter boat for salmon around this same time of year. We weren’t having much luck for salmon so the skipper took us further out and put us over a small reef for some bottomfish. That’s where the “beast” hit. After working the fish for a bit, it just stopped and held it's ground at mid depth. No screaming runs, head shakes, twists or twirls; just a steady throbbing pull as it took us further and further off shore with the tide. As it became clear it would be a long protracted battle, the skipper proclaimed it to be a large "skate", suggested I break it off immediately and headed back to the bridge. I was in shock and in utter disbelief as he fired up the engines and headed back for the reef with me still attached to the leviathan that would not break off. With the line just peeling off the reel all I could do was hold on with all I had. For a moment I thought for sure I was going to lose my rod right along with the fish, but fortunately I did break off at the leader before I was spooled. At the time I was pretty torqued at the skipper. I later got over that, but today I still wonder what the heck I had on down there that day. I guess there are some things we’ll never know.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#307048 - 07/22/05 01:30 PM Re: What the hell was it?
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Sun fish the size of a volkswagon bug?????. :p
Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE \:D

#307049 - 07/22/05 01:36 PM Re: What the hell was it?
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
It had to be Nessie. I heard a few weeks back she jumped out of the lake, over the mountains, and into the salt. Kind of Free Willy style. That's my guess.
Seriously, my brother told me the same story about 10 years ago fishing off Possession. He said he fought this thing for about 1.5 hours before deciding just to break it off.

#307050 - 07/23/05 03:17 PM Re: What the hell was it?
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Salmon Shark?

#307051 - 07/23/05 04:11 PM Re: What the hell was it?
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
I was out with Lupo when he was still sane a couple of years ago. Ok, last year at the E Bubble. I got a nice take down and the thing spooled 300 yards of line without looking back. It took me down to where I had about 10 yards of line left and I thumbed it because I had no other option....snap and that was it.

Sorry of the hijack.

#307052 - 07/24/05 03:03 AM Re: What the hell was it?
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
My guess would be soupfin shark. We had two boatside on friday. Look kinda like a stouter blue, but with a tan or golden brown back. Guessing a 6ft soupfin weighs about 70-80 where a blue go's about 50. They have more staying power than the blues.
When you say no headshakes, that's exactly how they were. And made slow long runs on the salmon gear.
Were we were fishing the last few days was relatively normal as far as temps, 55-57 degrees. As opposed to the 60+ degree water from last week.
That would be my guess.

#307053 - 07/24/05 03:34 AM Re: What the hell was it?
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
We had the same thing happen when fishing Swiftsure bank in Canada in about 350' of water. I hooked into something really big and it was like pulling a barndoor off of the bottom. I would reel and reel and gain a little bit. I was really working up a sweat. We had to fire up the motor a couple of times as it headed for deeper water and was trying to spool me. There was absolutely no head shaking but there were some really good runs. I got it up almost close enough to see a half dozen times and it would head back down. I was almost ready to hand the rod off as my back was killing me. I finally got it up and it went under the boat. It finally came out and exploded out of the water. It looked like a funny colored marlin and impaled its nose into the back of the boat. I had to go out on the swimstep and work it out and try not to get knocked in. I bonked it so it didn't hurt me. Here it is. And to think you are allowed 200 of these a day in BC.
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#307054 - 07/24/05 03:54 AM Re: What the hell was it?
krijak Offline
Fry

Loc: Tacoma
I doubt it if it applies in this case, but I talked to a someone who claimed to have hooked into an oversize sturgeon by Point Defiance. I know they are out there somewhere at times. Any body know how they fight in open water?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |