Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#307228 - 07/24/05 03:31 AM questionable fisheries management
krijak Offline
Fry

Loc: Tacoma
In the snoqualmie River thread, it was asked what could WFDF do better. Well, in the case of the snoqualmie, since I don't fish there I really can't say. But I sure have some questions about a lot of the other rivers I fish.
I realize that some of the practices are put in place by federal hatcheries, but I think that WFDF could at least question them.
Some questions are:
Why does the washougal get huge plants for summer runs compared to the green? Could this have to do with getting Oregonians to buy out of state licenses. Almost every portlander I know also fishes the southend rivers. We all know that seattle and Tacoma area fishermen will donate anyways.

Why does neah bay (federal hatchery) get plants and returns that rival the cowlitz? Then, the tribe gets to stop almost every fish at their barrier and not let them travel off reservation.

Why do we have the chambers creek hatchery put out so many fish, when most of these fish seem to return quickly and do not bite in the sound, and then, after getting netted the snot out of go directly into the hatchery. Sure, some get caught in the ocean fishery, but I would like to see these fish somewhere where they could be fished in river for.

Why do we never see in river limits increased in season, even when the hatcheries get many times more fish then they need? (puyallup and green silvers several years ago)

Why does the WDFW worry about snagging so much at hoodsport that they close it to night fishing, even though one pass of the nets probably brings in more fish then the sporties keep all year. I know I don't keep many, if any of these fish anyways, and I really don't think the hatchery every has a shortage?

Why does it seem that every year on the skookumchuck that should be a good year based on prior returns seem to mean no fish, and every year that is suppossed to be bad turn out great for me, unless someone is being able to use these projections to unfairly wipe out every fish?

Maybe I am asking dumb questions or ones based on faulty logic, but I still don't understand lots of what the department focuses on or does. At least the deparment has allowed fishing in blue creek and moved up the deadline at the barrier dam. Probably not changes that effect most people here, but at least they make sense in terms of harvesting.

With all the bickering that I hear fishing, I am sure that others have lots of comments that are better than my. Lets here some of them, but please don't talk about things that won't change, such as tribal netting in general, but focus on plantings, regulations, the lack of holding tribes accountable, season openings and such. Thanks.

#307229 - 07/24/05 11:13 AM Re: questionable fisheries management
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Krijak, those are some good questions. It sounds like you may want to join one of the local fishing clubs or the RFA and pursue getting some answers.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#307230 - 07/24/05 12:00 PM Re: questionable fisheries management
BigFin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Snohomish
Our politicians and fisheries leaders and Indian are a crooks when it comes to fish management. They all bow to commercial interests.
No one wants to take on the Indian becuase they would be called a racist.
Plus, the Indians would just fight us in federal court with our money.
Until our leader get some ba**$, and that woun't happen, the gov. is a woman and crook herself, we are screwed.
Go to Alaska and have a great experience once or twice a year and then pick your fisheries down here.
The money you spend each year running all over the state probably will pay for a 5 day trip to Alaska.

#307231 - 07/24/05 07:06 PM Re: questionable fisheries management
supcoop Offline
Lady Killer Deluxe

Loc: Kirkland
Quote:
Originally posted by BigFin:
The money you spend each year running all over the state probably will pay for a 5 day trip to Alaska.
Amen to that! Should catch 10 times the fish too!

#307232 - 07/24/05 09:31 PM Re: questionable fisheries management
Mr.Twister Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
Amen Bigfin......See my Alaska 2005 post. That's exactly why I go there.

#307233 - 07/24/05 11:39 PM Re: questionable fisheries management
BigFin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Snohomish
goinfishin--
You need to come up to Yakutat and try out the Situk river for sockeye, kings and or silvers and spend a day out in the ocean. We only fish about 100 feet deep for limits of halibut from 40 to 125 lbs, and lings from 20lbs.
Glacier Bear Lodge is the place to stay, I am one of the owners and I know you will have a great time.

#307234 - 07/25/05 10:25 AM Re: questionable fisheries management
Queetsqueef Offline
Returning Adult

The Keani can be one of the worst fishing experiences imaginable. People see pictures of big nooks and blue-bird skies and don't realize how it ACTUALLY works up there.

Crowds of two-week Texans in motor homes playing bumper cars, thinking they own the town and river, while out-of-state guides spend their days collecting your hard-earned dollars while the precious few big=kings go to queetsqueef and his buddies. Some people really do catch fish, but in reality and especially with the nets out on consecutive days, if you're a tourist you're not necessarily bringing home a king, and if you do it will be one that you could have caught at any number of destinations in the fine state of Washington...

And think of the dollars you'd save on plane flight, accomodations, fuel, beer, rental car, guide fee, tip for the guide, fish processing and storage, shipping, out-of-state license and tag, tackle, food etc.... In my opinion it's a terrible deal unless your motivation is a 70lb king, which you more than likely won't catch and if you do, the battle can be effortless and lack excitement...

#307235 - 07/25/05 10:46 AM Re: questionable fisheries management
Queetsqueef Offline
Returning Adult

Sorry about the "Jap" comment FnP, if you're Japanese I appologize and certainly didn't mean anything buy it. Just an abbreviation I didn't realize might be offensive.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (fp), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |