Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#307405 - 07/25/05 06:53 PM critters buggin'
zambi Offline
Parr

Loc: Longview, Washington
I just posted this in the Fins n' Feathers forum but thought I should post it here as well.

I finally got out fly fishing for the first time. I don't have any big catches to report, so if that's what you're looking for, stop now.

I've been wanting to try fly fishing for some time, but finally moved back to my hometown, where my family is located still. I went out with my brother a couple weeks ago. We had no luck the first time--I chalked it up to learning how to cast, that sort of thing. We have since gone to some SW Washington fly-only waters 4 times. I have caught many little guys, but twice had decent sized trout on and once saw what I think was a steelhead jump. We were WAY out in the sticks, but it was a BIG fish and very colorful.

Anyway, I have to say I can't imagine going back to a spinning or baitcasting rod. My future trout fishing will be by fly rod.

I will still go after those steelhead on spinning rod. At least until I figure out how to stalk them on the fly...

#307406 - 07/25/05 07:06 PM Re: critters buggin'
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Quote:
Originally posted by zambi:
Anyway, I have to say I can't imagine going back to a spinning or baitcasting rod. My future trout fishing will be by fly rod.
Yeah, there's something about catching 6 to 20" trout on bait and/or hardware that just doesn't seem right. Like when you constantly are catching 20+ inch cutts and are pissed because these "crap fish" are not steelhead.

I don't do it often, but when I do, I too would rather huck some flies for trouties.

Now, mention steelhead and/or salmon, and I'll take my good ol' Bait Chuckin' Harvest sticks any day of the week over a silly bug rod, thank you.

#307407 - 07/25/05 08:07 PM Re: critters buggin'
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Quote:
Originally posted by parker:
Quote:
Now, mention steelhead and/or salmon, and I'll take my good ol' Bait Chuckin' Harvest sticks any day of the week over a silly bug rod, thank you.
I once too shared your sentiment, but your time will come \:D

#307408 - 07/25/05 09:56 PM Re: critters buggin'
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Glad your hooked. I wouldnt fish trout in streams any other way than fly fish. A 3 weight fly rod with a 16-17" rainbow/cutt is a blast and will string you as good as any steelhead. Makes me sick to see bait chuckers on good trout streams, rippen the guts outa the poor bast***'s. Washington needs more good "quality" trout waters.

If your not into numbers and stacking fish in the freezer then pursue steelhead with the Fly stick, its tougher to reach alot of fish but the challenge is great.
I gear fish 90% of the time, but that % will decrease as the years go by
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#307409 - 07/25/05 11:46 PM Re: critters buggin'
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
Quote:

I will still go after those steelhead on spinning rod. At least until I figure out how to stalk them on the fly...
awesome! wait until you land your first searun cutt....then silver....then steelie....then steelie on a dry fly....the addiction will deepen....Just wait and see how many bug rods you own in ten years dude

Parker keeps a bug rod on his office wall, beckoning to him...calling him with it's siren song....."Parker! Come take me down and play with me Parker! We can have beers after you cast a royal wulff with me Parker"......
\:D
but what the hell, in the winter when my shoulder starts to burn, I'll toss the flyrod aside, grab a float rod and keep fishing until dark.....glad you have the itch man.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bigdog2250, littlegoose, Steel-Slayer, SteelheadStud, SteelSlayinStud
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, Carcassman), 107 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |