Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#311784 - 09/08/05 01:56 AM Re: Tad Pollys
Harbor_Hog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grays Harbor
Bigfin-
What would you take for that box of tads? I've already got 250+ tads ranging from tiny-tads to regular tads, to magnum tads. I've already got two of every color under the sun, but more could never hurt. I've got hundreds of steelies on them, and only a handful of steelies on other plugs. But I fish tads 95% of the time. I would have to say they run the truest out of the box than any other plug on the market.

Parkers right about the whole casting vs back trolling thing. I've never casted a tad and never backtrolled a wigglewart. I just added 32 new colors of kwikies to my collection, lots of new hot colors! Damn things are addicting. I've got over a 100 kwikies, and this is only my 3rd year purchasing them.

Good fishing
Harbor-Hog

#311785 - 09/08/05 08:22 AM Re: Tad Pollys
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Quote:
Originally posted by BigFin:
Pulling plugs is one step above flossing. Takes no skill and is about as boring as plunking.
Got a box full of tad's from the 70's, anyone want to buy them?
Wow.. So you live in like the one step above flossing capitol of the world then. At any rate, its one of the ways we fish over here, and a fun one at that. I enjoy the non-stop boat work and the fact that you can get anyone into a fish no matter how little they know about fishing without having them trash your gear trying to cast all day. I guess if you sit up front it could be boring but on the sticks its great.

Funny how its different on other rivers. W-Warts are the go to plug over here. And Hot shots are a close second. Another difference Parker mentioned. The old Storm wiggle warts are the best. The new storm wiggle warts with the clear bill suck. The Brads are good as they are the same as the old Storms. Fat fish suck. Now its time to try out the Tad pollys.

#311786 - 09/08/05 10:23 AM Re: Tad Pollys
CraigO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lake Stevens
I had to add another good word for Tads. Just about all I use and they catch quite a few fish. I think in certain situations pulling plugs is the best way to catch fish. Of course I would rather catch a Steelhead casting to it, but I would be passing up a lot of fish if I didn't pull plugs through some of those slots. \:D

#311787 - 09/08/05 12:13 PM Re: Tad Pollys
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: seattle wa
there is alot more to pulling plugs than most folks think: and probably 10% of the plug pullers catch 90%........generally the ones who think pluggin is sooo easy are the ones sitting in front.

i would still say it is much harder to thread two plugs thru a slot and then one of them along a tree and the other into a pocket behind and between two rocks than:

fly fishing (dry or wet), float fishing, plunking and harder than most drift fishing, harder than mooching and trolling.

the only techniques that i would say take as much or more skill as pluggin is learning to throw metal right, riffle/ tail- out drift fishing.

i purposely left out side drifting because i dont realy have much experience in it

just my two pesos worth

#311788 - 09/08/05 12:37 PM Re: Tad Pollys
Moe the Sleaze Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: The Boardwalk, on the way to S...
Tadpollys are great. They wiggle their butts just a bit differently than the other plugs. It's all in the wiggle.

Now why are size 40 Hotshots so hard to find?

#311789 - 09/08/05 01:45 PM Re: Tad Pollys
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Brad's Wigglers and Hotshots for us down here in NorCal - mostly in the smaller sizes b/c the water is typically low. Would like to try some small Tadpollies, but they are virtually impossible to find down here. Good luck. NorCal.

#311790 - 09/08/05 01:52 PM Re: Tad Pollys
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

Quote:
... The new storm wiggle warts with the clear bill suck. ...
Would painting the bill help, or is there a fundamental change in the body weight and/or body design in the new warts, which make them less effective than the old warts?

#311791 - 09/08/05 02:51 PM Re: Tad Pollys
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
Greatest "wheelie" (steelie") lure ever made! You can use it in slow water or fast (unlike a wiggle wart) and fish flat love em! Best colors? Dr. Deth, Cop Car, or solid blue.

RM

#311792 - 09/08/05 09:35 PM Re: Tad Pollys
Shaggy357 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bonney Lake
I pull off the trebles and add a single siwash hook. Keeps the same movement. Try a chrome tad with the bill painted red. Read that in a book and it worked for me.

Steve \:D

#311793 - 09/08/05 10:55 PM Re: Tad Pollys
BigFin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Snohomish
B Run
I know they work. Pulled the sticks for 20 years before building a sled.
Caught many steelhead and salmon on plugs of all kinds.
Still think it is a boring way to fish, I like to cast to the pockets.
There is always a time and place for plugs but it seems, about 50% of the plug pullers think they can pull those plugs the whole lenght of a run with no regard for the other fishermen.
Probably can say that with any method, just the pluggers are always in my way.

#311794 - 09/08/05 11:44 PM Re: Tad Pollys
Cigar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Shoreline, Wa.
These are my favorite plugs too.

WARNING!! The factory hooks SUCK!!!!

Make sure you do not use the hooks that come with the plug!

Cigar

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (steely slammer, wolverine, 2 invisible), 941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645366 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |