Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#311929 - 09/08/05 02:53 AM Skok Report/Kids w Kings/Pics
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Fish are turning a bit darker as expected. Still thousands of fish in the river. And they are still biting if you find some that haven't been harrassed. Corkies and yarn with some smelly jelly sandshrimp gel works, fresh roe even better. Ran into micropterus101 finally. He's still tossing them 1/4 oz jigs.

Small coho have been moving into the river in increasing numbers over the week. Do they always run small early in the season?

Pray for some rain.

First picture is of the neighbor's daughter Faith and her first salmon. She took it on her first cast. It went over 20 pounds. It was the biggest I saw that day. I think this was from Friday.

Now that fish looked kinda dark, right? But check out the fillets. Those are both from the same fish. The pale strip came from a much brighter fish. I used it for comparison. Kinda weird. It really was a hog too. Faith was jazzed.

Here is Jessie in the middle, with her sister and her nephew Levi. We had to leave by 1pm. Arrived at 10:30 am out by 12:30. Her sis and nephew are both newbies at salmon fishing. These were also their first kings...and nice color to them to. This was on Sunday.
Levi didn't stop grinning like that until he left for home in Wenatchee. Little man there will be more fishing soon.

It wears me out making sure everyone catches fish. And after all that I still had to head home and train the dog how to guard the house. This last one is of me showing the dog how to fool people into thinking your napping. During this guarddog training exercise I fell asleep. I'm not sure who took the picture on my camera.

Lastly this is a partial repost after UltimateFeashKacher asked why I prefer to fish alone. Also I wanted to better explain some of the bitc&*y stuff I wrote earlier.

I actually prefer fishing with a few people then all alone. Some holes or pools can handle 20-40 people without adversly affecting the catch rate. But when too many people pile into a hole there is too many crossed lines, to many lost fish, too long waiting for other people to get their fish in, or bust off their snag, and often too much tension (specially on the weekends).

I've stood in my share of meat lines. And if the people around me were easy going it was usually fun. But if there are holes with 50-100 undisturbed fish and nobody around (other then the company you brought along), why would you want to fish alongside 60 guys on 100 yards of water?

And a crowded meat hole is the worst place to take newbies. Its very intimidating. I have not been chasing salmon more then 8 years now. I still remember being a newbie and watching guys holler at each other because someone cast over somebodies line, or didn't get their line out of the water fast enough. I remember being worried I was going to violate some 'rule' and somebody was going to scream at me for it.

I have given the impression that I look down on those who chose to fish in a meat line. That really wasn't my intention. I was ranting. What I really feel when I see people fishing shoulder to shoulder is frustration for the 50% of the line that aren't catching their share of the fish. I feel frustrated for them because I have been one of them. I have been one of those who has stood in that line while everyone else caught fish and wondered "What the Hell am I doing wrong?"
Sometimes frustrated to the point of crying. I wanted to catch fish that bad and couldn't.

So thats why it drives me crazy. Haven't you seen someone make the same mistakes you made, suffer the same pains you suffered, and want to intervene? I wish someone had pulled me out of a meatline years ago and showed me that I could catch fish away from the crowds. That it didn't need to be so hard.

That's all I was trying to say. Hope that clears things up.

Vince

#311930 - 09/08/05 04:06 AM Re: Skok Report/Kids w Kings/Pics
micropterus101 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Orchard
Dang vhawk I cant believe the meat was that red! I screwed up big time today. Nice fish. went home fishless today no brite fish for me. I might have to try one of them bucks though.

Nice to meet you out there today. \:D

#311931 - 09/08/05 09:47 AM Re: Skok Report/Kids w Kings/Pics
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
The Silvers we have caught over the last couple of days were not that small for this time of year. We got several in the 10 lb class on eggs.
Peace
Superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#311932 - 09/08/05 12:24 PM Re: Skok Report/Kids w Kings/Pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by vhawk29:
Small coho have been moving into the river in increasing numbers over the week. Do they always run small early in the season?

Pray for some rain.

I'm praying for no rain... its way more fun chasing them in the salt in peace and quiet...

:p

#311933 - 09/08/05 03:09 PM Re: Skok Report/Kids w Kings/Pics
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Superfly,

Thats my question, are the early Coho smaller then the ones that are running in Oct? I didn't find the SKok until Oct of last year. I'm still kinda new to the area so this is my first season fishing for kings on the Skok, and I've never seen the first part of the coho run. The fish I was seeing in Oct were freaking huge. Avg size was about as big as the avg size of the kings i'm seeing. Not the 4-8 pounders I'm seeing this week.

Vince

#311934 - 09/08/05 05:50 PM Re: Skok Report/Kids w Kings/Pics
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
Hawk,
as the season goes on the silvers get progressively bigger. What the experts say is that staging silvers will sometimes gain up to a pound a week before entering the river. Which to me is crazy but I catch alot of silvers in the coastal rivers in the 20 lb class and that would explain that. I caught a number of silvers in the skok last year in november that were mid to high teens so they do just keep getting bigger.
Peace
Superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#311935 - 09/08/05 06:58 PM Re: Skok Report/Kids w Kings/Pics
Curt45lc Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everson, WA
vhawk,

Hatchery jacks often come in first(in most rivers anyway). Next are the adult hatchery silvers. Hatchery silvers are generally smaller than native silvers. Then in Oct.-Dec. the native silvers come in and are much bigger than their hatchery counterparts.

So if they hatch silvers on the Skok then you may be catching the jacks, and the early hatchery hens.

#311936 - 09/08/05 11:29 PM Re: Skok Report/Kids w Kings/Pics
Makai Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Totten Inlet
Anyone going friday? With the tide coming in until 9 something in the morning, will it not be good dwon low until the afternoon? I was thinking of going in the am for most of the day.

#311937 - 09/09/05 03:26 AM Re: Skok Report/Kids w Kings/Pics
micropterus101 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Orchard
I wish I could go but I gots to go back to work tomorrow.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Excitable Bob), 754 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645369 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |