LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#319104 - 11/07/05 01:16 PM Weight Question???
Steelheader99 Offline
Parr

Loc: Crescent City, CA (The Real No...
I've noticed that most of you guys up north use pencil lead for weight. Down here I use Bouncing Bettys from the bank. Most of the guides also use the Bettys in their DBs. Why do you think that is so? I have had much more success using the Bettys than any other kind of weight (pencil lead or slinkies).

POW/MIAs
You Are Not Forgotten

"No man ever won a war by dying for his country. He won by making the other ba$tard die for his."
General George S. Patton

#319105 - 11/07/05 02:33 PM Re: Weight Question???
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
People fear change, Steelheader99. And, people are just stubborn when it comes to adapting.

"My great grand pappy used lead, my grand pappy used lead, my Dad used lead, so I used lead too!"

I've seen a lot of that on the river.

Also, could be a cost issue. Not too sure I know what a bouncing betty is, or looks like. Those BB's might be expensive to make, or get up here, especially if no one carries them. I do know that spools of solid core pencil lead is *cheap* up here.

Ease of use? Doesn't get much easier than cutting of a chunk of soid core pencil lead, pinching a hole in one end and putting it on your swivel.

Bottom substrate? Some rivers are way more grabby and snaggier (is that even a word?) than others?

Technique being used? Different rivers and different techniques dictate what lead you should use. IE, I wouldn't use a slinky to pocket-pitch the PinkConeHead on the Hoh. I want the worm to get down to the bottom *now*. Also, round cannon ball sinkers work great for backbouncing and hover fishing. Wouldn't consider using a 16" piece of pencil lead when doing that.

Fire up the digital photo and show us your rig and why it's the way to go.

#319106 - 11/07/05 02:57 PM Re: Weight Question???
fishhead5 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Shelton
I tried them a long time ago, they didn't hang up as much, but they still did. It became a cost issue. I still like the tickety tickety of the lead bouncing on the bottom.

It is not illegal to deplete a fishery by management.

They need to limit Democrats to two terms, one in office, and one in prison.

#319107 - 11/07/05 03:48 PM Re: Weight Question???
Steelheader99 Offline
Parr

Loc: Crescent City, CA (The Real No...
I understand that they do cost a bit more than the lead does. They are @ $1-1.25 per weight. Out of the last 3 years that I have been using them, I have only lost 3 of them. 2 were due to snags in underwater brush, and 1 was due to the glue wearing off in the center and the weight detached from the swivel.

I have provided a link on a Tech Report that I found online. It will give you a visual on the weight and how to rig it. I rig it with a slider attached to my main line, above the swivel to my leader.

Bouncing Betty Link

I almost forgot to add: I believe that my success rate had improved due to the presentation of the bait. The bouncing betty is rubber and "bounces" off the rocks as it flows down the drift, instead of dragging along. I think that it presents a more natural flow than the dragging lead. I dunno if that's what it is or not. I do know that I still use all 3 methods for weight, depending upon river flows and location. But I do seem to do better with the BB as opposed to the other 2 methods. Just a thought.

POW/MIAs
You Are Not Forgotten

"No man ever won a war by dying for his country. He won by making the other ba$tard die for his."
General George S. Patton

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (20 Gage, DrifterWA), 680 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645369 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |