Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#323198 - 12/06/05 09:15 AM Binoculars
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Any one ever use or have a opinion on the
Canon 10X30 IS Image Stabilized Binoculars???

#323199 - 12/06/05 10:44 AM Re: Binoculars
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
I was really disappointed in them. After only a pint of Yukon Jack I found the 10x30 image became destabilized. Then I was totally dismayed when after a fifth of Tanqueray I found out they wouldn't float. POS in my opinion. :p

Beezer

#323200 - 12/06/05 11:07 AM Re: Binoculars
Limbo Jimbo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have used a friend's pair a couple of times. I thought they were great, but spendy. Shop carefully.

#323201 - 12/06/05 11:48 AM Re: Binoculars
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Great if you want or need image stabilization, which is especially helpful with 10 power binoculars (which most people do not really need). Bear in mind that although the image stabilization works very well, it also adds significantly to the size, weight and price of the optic and does not address the issues of overall brightness, eye relief or inherent optical quality. There is no free lunch as they say. Another good option would be to drop down in power, forget the IS and move up to a bigger objective and/or higher optical quality available at around the same size and price. If you look at binoculars as a lifetime investment, something worth not just using but passing on to future generations, you might want to forgo the work-around and invest in time tested optics. I can personally attest to Leica, Zeiss and Steiner brands but could also recommend Swarowski in this class. However, if you're really sure that you need the extra power then the Canon IS is a very good alternative. Good luck.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#323202 - 12/06/05 11:49 AM Re: Binoculars
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
My Mom has a pair. They're not bad but don't seem very substanstial. I'd be hesistant to be packing them around much.

Personnally, I think you'd be much happier if you invested your $$ in a good pair of waterproof, rubber armored 8x42 Leupolds, Nikon, Pentax, Cabelas roof prism glasses. 10x42 are a little harder to hold steady.

If you have lots of extra $$ you could upgrade to Swarovski, Leica, or Zeiss.

#323203 - 12/06/05 11:58 AM Re: Binoculars
SPUD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Woodinville, WA
I have a pair of Nikon StableEyes 14x40 gyro stablized binos that I bought at Outdoor Emporium. I love em. I mainly got them for marlin fishing but use them on the Sound quite a bit also. You can really see what the others are catching and even what they are using when a net goes up. I do not think I would buy them only for use on the Sound though, but they are great for spotting marlin, birds, and porpoise way down south.

Shop carefully as they are spendy !

Spud

#323204 - 12/06/05 12:01 PM Re: Binoculars
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks guys I have some more investigation to do. Mainly these will be used by my Dad, while sitting in a lawn chair, watching boats go pass. \:\)

Does this use still dictate a higher qaulity pair?

Beezer \:\)

#323205 - 12/06/05 12:45 PM Re: Binoculars
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

In my opinion, yes. You get what you pay for with optics.

In my Mom's situation, she stands in her window and watches the birds, odd orca, and ships passing by. The stabilized glasses are good for her and would, from your update, be probably be more useful for your Dad.

If you decide not to go with the image stabilization, a good tripod might negate the need for image stabilization. The higher the magnification, the harder to hold steady. 10x50 or even 12x50 might be more useful for the situation. Check out Cabelas or a local camera/sporting goods store for options and prices.

ps The larger the objective, the better the light gathering capabilities. A rough rule is to divide the objective diameter by the power of the binocular. 10x50= 5 10x42= 4.2 etc. The bigger the objective, the better the view early and late in the day.

#323206 - 12/06/05 02:40 PM Re: Binoculars
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by lead thrower:
Mainly these will be used by my Dad, while sitting in a lawn chair, watching boats go pass. \:\)

Does this use still dictate a higher qaulity pair?
LT,

Quality is always important but comfort, weight, eye relief and clarity will be the primary issues for the use you describe. A high quality 8 X42, or even 50, with "high eye relief" (15-18mm) will do the trick nicely here. These are easy on the eyes, exceptional performance for the dollar and they are very manageable in size and weight. They are easy to look through for extended periods of time and they generally have a wide viewing area as well. The Leica 8X42mm Trinovid is probably the optical reference standard here but most every quality brand makes a decent performer in this range, many are lighter and most are cheaper. The Zeiss and Swarowski are gorgeous too but overpriced for most. Steiner has just introduced some new high performance birding binoculars in this range that look very impressive and are reasonably priced. Their Merlin 8X50 is about the same size and weight as a typical 8X42. Pentax DCF, Brunton and Fujinon (hard to find) are also respected glass. The Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Leupold and Bushnell are quite common, but MOR performers IMO. For good information and aggressive pricing you might want to check out Anacortes Telescope at buytelescopes.com. These guys really know their glass.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#323207 - 12/06/05 04:04 PM Re: Binoculars
SKYSTEELHEAD Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Beezer, I like your feed back! \:D

#323208 - 12/07/05 01:35 AM Re: Binoculars
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

...and if your Dad is going to sit in an easy chair, you might want to consider a good spotting scope on a tripod rather than binoculars.

#323209 - 12/07/05 11:09 AM Re: Binoculars
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks for the help guys

Wow, binocs are expensive!!!!!

#323210 - 12/07/05 12:24 PM Re: Binoculars
goforchrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: sammamish WA
Lead,
If your dad is using these in a fairly gentle manner, I would look at high quality porro prism glass (the ones with the eyeholes that are NOT in a straight line with the objective).
These are going to offer higher quality at much lower cost than roof prism 'nocs.
You can get Leupold, Nikon, Steiner and others at much better prices.
The downside is a little more bulk and a little less weather resistance.
For armchairs or window sills, the better choice.
If you don't buy local, try riflescopes.com.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (steely slammer, wolverine, 2 invisible), 941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645366 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |