Loc: everett
It's all because your "easy" KId

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#325300 - 12/23/05 09:35 AM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
fishaday Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo,WA.
yeah tbird I've fished em there once or twice ;\)

#325301 - 12/23/05 01:43 PM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Yeah, you pretty much schooled me that day Kid.

The straw that broke the camels back was when you tied on my rig and caught that fish.

That still haunts me.....

Hey, speaking of whoring, when we going up to The Ranch???? \:D

#325302 - 12/24/05 01:15 AM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
Hey, Parker, I am organizing a Snoopy Rod Classic to be held up at the Ranch. Bank fishing only and the last person downstream has to be in sight of the first person upstream. You can leapfrog, cork eachother, tangle lines or whatever, just can't physically touch other people or other people's gear while fighting fish. You can ambush with bottle rockets from the bushes and carry squirt guns to keep your space. Going to be a complete and hillarious cluster****. My attorney told me how to "bend the rules" so it will not be considered a fishing contest ;\) There will be a trophy and a top $$$ callgirl for first place. I will have a spodee and a keg or two. I am going to participate but not compete.....just act as a referee. Help me get the guest list started.

BTW, "Parker's" hole is no more. It's totally and completely changed up there. Going to have to get you up there to pick your new "Parker's Hole". Just don't leave any rigs on the bank or you know what ;\) \:D

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#325303 - 12/24/05 01:17 AM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
Oh yeah, Parker, almost forgot. Get ready to swing pink worms with the flyrods this year! We'll knock 'em silly \:D

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#325304 - 12/24/05 03:10 AM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Hmmm, sounds interesting Justin... Let me know about it. Wonder if I could catch a fish on the Ranch??

Keith ;\)

#325305 - 12/24/05 03:40 AM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Great story Kid with pictures and a witness to boot.

Anyway Dave, I'm thinking early 80's when I tried foolin' around with plastic worms. Not to good with dates but it was way before they were pink. In fact they were actually plastic bass grubs which I either tried off spinners or drifted like a bigger version of the egg with the plastic tail (forget what those were called). I think I was inspired by the "crippled minnow" (? something like that) TV ad at the time. Never did catch much but was mainly using them and jigs both to rib our "unconvinced" mutual friend anyways. Of course while I was fartin' around he'd be hookin' fish the old fashioned way.......as usual. It wasn't till much later that both of us became convinced after seeing dedicated dudes like yourself hooking more fish. Thanks for stickin' with it. I'm a believer now. ;\)
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#325306 - 12/24/05 03:22 PM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle
i started using them last yaer, and caught 4 fish in 15 minutes. i was hooked for life, no i just need to go fish for some nates.

#325307 - 12/25/05 12:27 AM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
Stickler Offline
Alevin

Loc: Prince Rupert, B.C.
First, Lang Creek, Powell River B.C. 1989
Most recent, this morning Kloiya R.,Prince Rupert, B.C.

#325308 - 12/27/05 12:10 PM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
First time I fished the pink worm I could not wait for those winter nates to roll in. It was summer on the Sky, river was gin clear. Tossed everything but the kitchen sink into this hole.

I was ready to leave and hike up river but thought "Oh what the hell i will see how these things work." Well they worked all right, within three cast it was Fish on \:\)

#325309 - 12/27/05 09:08 PM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
Salmon Leader Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Des Moines, Wa
Wasn't the first time I fished a pink worm but it sure was the same season. First a little history, I had picked up a few PW's at Fred's Custom Tackle in Vedder Crossing after spending my first two days on the Vedder in the fall of 2000. During that first Vedder adventure I didn't catch any chinook but I was new to the river and wanted to learn as much about this new river as I could. After driving a up and down the river a few times I saw a nice stretch that had allot of access but not many people. I began to fish by working the bottom with my standard drift rig. I was seeing a ton of chum but couldn't get any of them to hook up. My gear was just not being presented correctly. While I was struggling to fish effectivly in that fast water, I was watching two locals hooking very large chum just about every other cast. They were using floats and "wool" ("yarn" in American...). I finally figured I would go up to them and ask them to show me how they rigged their dink float and terminal end. They were real friendly and basically rigged me up using one of my dink floats I had bought at Fred's (Fred actually told me to purchase a few when I bought my liscence). I ended up learning to float fish that day. Having huge biting chum was a great way to "go to schoool" and learn the small difference between natural movement and a strike. Just a light unnatural turn of the float means a fish has picked up my offering. I had a sore arm at the end of that day but had great confidence using the float.

Now, a month or so later I am on the Nooksack. I have rigged up a float and pink plastic worm (also bought at Fred's). I had fished the PW only a little on a previous trip but hadn't really given it a good chance. This time I would give it a fair opportunity. It was one I would never forget.
First cast, my worm is working a tail out and when the float disappears. I set the line thinking I was hung up. No snag but a steelhead. After releasing it I made the exact same cast in the same spot. My float goes under again but this time it was a nice dolly. Released and on the third cast of the morning....yes....another float submersion and another steelhead. Three casts, three fish. All alone and no one to hear my screams of joy. My first real PW experience. Thanks to a day a month earlier on the Vedder learning to use the float technique in preperation for a great day Steelhead fishing on the Nooksack. I have been a float and PW man ever since.

Steve

#325310 - 12/28/05 08:39 AM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Sign me up Kid for a day at the Ranch.Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#325311 - 12/28/05 09:40 AM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Still worm free.....but weakening.

#325312 - 12/28/05 09:42 AM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
CraigO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lake Stevens
First time was 6-7 years ago on a small stream for hatchery fish. I had fished for an hour and lost a couple, so I thought I would give it a try. Boom, first cast with a pink worm and landed a nice little hen. Since then I mainly fish them for Natives and have had really good success. I always have drifted the PW.

#325313 - 12/28/05 04:26 PM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
Hoh Humm Offline
Spawner

Loc: Forks
Used to fish with worms when I was a kid bass fishing,cought my biggest bass on a brown plastic worm.8plus pounds.
Never tried them on metal heads,but I have seen alot of them hanging from the trees along the rivers around here.
I guess that I will have to pull a few out of the trees an give them a try.
We'll see how it goes.

ylwwolf@msn.com

#325314 - 12/28/05 04:26 PM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
First time I fished the pink worm I put in at Dowins Creek on the Bogey and floated all the way to the hatchery, had one takedown for the whole day in the Car Body Hole and landed it. \:\)

What a goat screw. You ever row, fish, play a fish, land a fish and take a picture, ALONE?

#325315 - 12/28/05 05:06 PM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
littlegoose Offline
Smolt

Loc: Fish County
Was going to fish one for the first time after reading all the pw posts and seeing the pics, looks convincing to me. Thanks. Went to 3 stores last night looking for them and all of a sudden they're all out. Seems the local demand increased recently.

#325316 - 12/28/05 05:59 PM Re: First Time You Fished a PW
CraigO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lake Stevens
I saw a bunch at Three Rivers in Woodinville.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |