THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#325317 - 12/22/05 04:42 PM To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
tyeeterror Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Humboldt Nation
I have posted in the other thread asking questions about running plugs for steelhead. Everyone I have fishing with including guide friends have all preached not setting the hook when you first get hit. Now I'm talking about running hotshots, and wigglewarts, and simular plugs. I was suprised to see the posts about slamming the hook home on the first hit. I was wondering how the rest of you guys fish plugs. Do you let them take the plug, and load the rod, or do you slam em on the first hit.

#325318 - 12/22/05 05:38 PM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
no need to set the hook fish is either on or not when tip of polehits water they are on.

#325319 - 12/22/05 05:42 PM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
They either have it, or they don't. Just pick the rod up (IF YOU CAN!!) and get to work!

#325320 - 12/22/05 06:16 PM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
like said above,let the rod load up then simple lift rod out holder and either it's there or it's not.No need to set the hook.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#325321 - 12/22/05 07:09 PM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
tyeeterror Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Humboldt Nation
You guys are doing it the way I have been taught. Once the fish is has hit the plug, and loaded the rod, lift the rod up, and fight the fish. Almost everytime one of the guys up front immediatley sets the hook, the fish is gone.

#325322 - 12/22/05 08:24 PM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
I am sure what the guys have written above is true but in my boat we "set the hook" and rarely lose them...half the fun is hooking them anyway!

RM

#325323 - 12/22/05 10:04 PM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
SteelyDon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Auburn
What about the drag, super tight or not so tight?

#325324 - 12/22/05 11:12 PM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
salmonbelly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kirkland, Wa USA
Keep the drag pretty tight; when the fish strikes let him take the tip down, then grab the rod, make sure no slack is in the line, loosen the drag a bit and play the fish.

#325325 - 12/23/05 12:32 AM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
Weedhopper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Set it for sure!

#325326 - 12/23/05 12:49 AM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
ODIN Offline
Parr

Loc: SHELTON
go to steelhead university.com click on pulling plugs for steelys.

#325327 - 12/23/05 02:10 AM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
Pat Graham Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Forks
I tell all of my clients when I do occasionaly pull plugs any more to rip there rps off. Jerk like you are trying to brake the rod. Have never broke a rod on a hook set yet. But this is after the fish has burried the rod. I let my cusomers hold the rod as they lay it on the gunnel. In my opinion I have tried both methods and they get off no matter what when you are pulling plugs. Letting people jerk when they get crushed is just a heck of a lot more fun in my opion.

#325328 - 12/23/05 03:56 AM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
the fish will have it for good usually by the time you grab the rod, but after u pick it up set the hell out of it

#325329 - 12/23/05 11:24 AM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
Set the hook, keep the line tight. I fish with a lot of inexperienced fishermen, more often than not if you set the hook and keep the line tight, you get the fish. If no hook set and slack line, good bye fishy. Obviously there are times when we do everything "right" and still the fish gets away, that is why it is called fishing, not catching. My two cents. Take care all and Merry Christmas.

Doubletake

#325330 - 12/23/05 05:25 PM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
jackiepoo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: University Place Washington
Set the hook on a barried rod with a firm pop. Thats the way I have always been doing it and good god it feels so damn good.

#325331 - 12/23/05 07:47 PM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Let the rod load up (count to 3-one-thousand, or you can wait 'til the tip is almost in the river) and then drive the hook home...

#325332 - 12/23/05 09:21 PM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

If you fish barbless, I've found it's better to just leave the rod in the holder, and let it load up. About the time you would instinctively set the hook... DON'T....

Simply reach for the reel handle and crank as fast as you can until line is either peeling from the reel or you are just cranking against the drag and gaining no line. Now pick up the rod and play your fish.

I realize what I've recommended above may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if the end-game is to bring fish to the boat, it'll "gitter done".

If your personal thrill is being able to feel the bite rather than bringing a fish to hand, then by all means hang on to your rod and jerk away!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#325333 - 12/23/05 10:27 PM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
Anonymous
Unregistered

Like has been said...wait till the rod is LOADED UP before you take it from the rod holder. So many times I have seen steelhead do a "Drive by" and just take a whack at the plug...the rod dips, but does not bury as the fish never turned with the plug in his mouth. If he doesn't hook up, the fish may turn and run down the slot a ways and you will get another shot at him...but if you grab the rod out, yank a hook-set and start reeling before the fish is on, the fish most likely is history.

So long as that rod isn't buried, the fish hasn't turned with it, and "setting the hook" is likely to yank that hook/plug straight out of this mouth as he is still looking at the boat.

Once he turns the rod will bury. Grab the rod from the holder and since I use Power Pro one short little yank (not too hard as PP doesn't stretch) sets the hook.

Another thing I try to do is, once I see that rod start to react at all, I give a couple strong pulls with the oars to help set the hook. People often ask why I have a small bit of chartruse yarn tied just below the first eye (not tip) of my plug rods. That is so I can see not only the action of the plugs, but also it's a major flag once a fish whacks the plug. Unless they are looking right at it, the front seaters may not catch the initial strike on the plug.

I think most times, in all the confusion and excitement, that folks forget to even set the dang hook as once that rod comes out of the holder the fight is on!

Mike

#325334 - 12/23/05 10:58 PM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Mike, I don't remember "setting the hook" on that little chromer....do remember watching the line smoke off that 6500 thou \:D \:D !! BTW, I found that little (hot shot ??) I was yarning about floating down the Sky. Its a SE just a touch smaller than a #30 in silver w/rattle, has a wider bill than the #30's too. Also found 3 steelis warts, 3 #30 hot shots and a K-10 in silver w/pink spots. I had them in my trout gear.....

#325335 - 12/24/05 11:44 AM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brad,

With a serious bend on the rod (fish has turned) I don't think much (if any) of a hook-set is needed. Unless that plug has a dull hook it should have set itself when that fish turned and loaded the rod up...still, it's nice to give 'em a little yank just to be on the safe side.

That's another thing to consider. Sharp hooks are a MUST for plugs. Either keep a good hook file around or a pack of replacement siwash's.

If you had given that little chromer a mondo hook-set he would have been swimming away sans our plug in his jaw...he didn't grab it deep enough and we were sure to have lost him. Ya done good!

Bring those plugs along come March...we'll give 'em a once over and put them to work!

Mike

#325336 - 12/24/05 12:12 PM Re: To set the hook or not to set the hook while plugging
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Quote:
Originally posted by Pat Graham:
Letting people jerk when they get crushed is just a heck of a lot more fun in my opion.
And having fun is what it's all about

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |