Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#325403 - 12/23/05 01:29 AM Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
TBird Offline
Fish Fear Me

Loc: Port Angeles
Seems like it's hard to please me anymore.. I usually fish 15# and I used to love Izor, Down the toilet now as far as I'm concerned.. Ande used to do good for me, now I can't stand it.. Trilene Big Game worked good for me for a couple of years, and anymore, I just don't seem happy with it.. Chameleon has too much memory in my book, too hard of a line and parts easy... Gamakatsu is too soft.. Ultragreen just doesn't hold up very well for me.. And I can't stand fishing spectra... Anyone have any good suggestions?! Some black market stuff that someone is making in their backyard? \:D

Thanks in advance

Tom

So easy, a cavegirl could do me

Team FTW

#325404 - 12/23/05 01:38 AM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

I guess that makes you the one-man version of a "tough crowd".

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#325405 - 12/23/05 01:40 AM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
TBird Offline
Fish Fear Me

Hehe.. look at the picture, I'm pratically a crowd of my own! =) Just aggravating.. Maybe I'm just expecting too much out of a line?! I dunno..

Team FTW

#325406 - 12/23/05 10:10 AM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
Maxima Ultra-green is on all my reels. Never failed me yet.

#325407 - 12/23/05 11:23 AM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
Erik Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: North of Seattle/ South of For...
Give the Berkley Iron Silk a try. I fished copolymer for years then I was given some Iron Silk. It has virtually no memory, it's strong, abrasion resistant, fairly thin and only has moderate stretch. The 'solar mint' is on nearly all of my reels, including the spinning reels I use for boondoggin. Get it while you can though because usually when Berkley comes out with a good product they discontinue it...go figure.

#325408 - 12/23/05 11:29 AM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I second the vote for Ironsilk. Its strong has little memory, and it’s abrasion resistant. I heard a complaint that the original Ironsilk was prone to breaking down if left in full sun. I never experienced any problem and fished with it in the tropics. The current version is a slightly different formulation. I think they have a winner.

#325409 - 12/23/05 12:35 PM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
Rafterman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Backwoods of Kentucky
Hi TBird,
I don't know if this has anything to do with your dilemma/problem but how often are you changing your line? I used to think I could get away with changing my line about once in a season. With drift fishing from the bank being my primary tactic, I am finding that I have to change my line sometimes as much as 3 or 4 times in a season. Drift fishing is probably one of the worst techniques for getting abrasions and nicks in your line. Except maybe bank or dock fishing in the salt where you might be dragging your line across barnacle encrusted rocks & oyster shells.
Good luck,
Rafterman

#325410 - 12/23/05 12:45 PM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
FishnMike Offline
Fry

Loc: Modesto, California
I've been fish with Cuda for the past couple of years and have been pretty happy with it. One of the big points for me has been that I can troll all day with it for trout and it doesn't turn into that nasty little springy little mess at the end of the day.

FishnMike

#325411 - 12/23/05 12:49 PM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
I bought a case of Fenwick Riverline on closeout from Pure Fishing for fifty cents a spool. The stuff is ridiculously tough wet and dry, it ties killer knots and is visable eventhough it is a light motor oil color. call Pure Fishing and see if they have any. The stuff is awesome, but when it runs out it is going to be Iron Silk for me. I run Izorline in hi-viz yellow on the plug rods and Trilene XL on my spinning rods. I hate XL but I have never found anything with less memory.

Good luck!
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#325412 - 12/23/05 01:26 PM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
TBird Offline
Fish Fear Me

Rafterman: I think I'm on my 5 spool up this season as I fish drift gear a lot and whenever I lose a setup I kill about 3 feet off the end to ensure that there are no knicks and what not.. If a line has that little lifespan, then I have reason to complain :rolleyes:

I think I might give the iron silk a try.. That's definitely one I haven't tried, but I'm sure it can get a little spendy the way I go through line! lol.. But I will certainly give it a good shot! Thanks Dave and Erik... Izor used to be a hell of a line in my book, We had a 10,000 yd bulk spool of it and kept it in the freezer and fished off it for like, 8 years and I loved it.. Anymore just can't stand it! Heres another question, Anyone know any better knots other than the clinch that has better knot strength?! I like to stick with good old reliable but if there seems to be a better one, please do fill me in! =) Do heavy wire/light wire swivels seem to play a part in knot strengths? Seems to me a heavy wire swivel would be less of a strain on the line?

Team FTW

#325413 - 12/23/05 02:13 PM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
Rafterman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Backwoods of Kentucky
Quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
Rafterman: I think I'm on my 5 spool up this season as I fish drift gear a lot and whenever I lose a setup I kill about 3 feet off the end to ensure that there are no knicks and what not.. If a line has that little lifespan, then I have reason to complain :rolleyes:
I agree..... \:\)

#325414 - 12/23/05 03:29 PM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
akfishinguy Offline
Fry

Loc: Kenai, AK
Try using a palomar knot. I've always had excellent results and use this knot for almost everything. One thing I read showed a better knot strength over the clinch knot too. True or not, I don't know, but kings here on the Kenai have never broken me off at the knot before with it!
The past couple years I've tried some Yozuri Hybrid line on my Kenai R. king rods. Seems to hold up pretty well and is pretty abrasion resistant, but has quite a bit of memory (a lot like maximas chameleon), which I don't like for a main line. Think I may look into the Ironsilk line as well.

#325415 - 12/23/05 03:43 PM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
stever in everett Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, WA USA
Sulfix Tritanium. You have to get it mail order as there aren't any distributors in our area. It comes in green and clear. Tougher than U.G. lower memory even when cold. Better abrasion resistance and smaller diameter.

#325416 - 12/23/05 04:10 PM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Rivers Inlet knot...tough as nails...I use it for almost every line connection in my repertoire.

I use Maxima Crystal Ivory, and I change it out about every two or three trips, which means about once every week or ten days. That works out to about ten bucks per month, per rod...maybe a total of $40 per month I spend on line for my steelhead fishing.

Expensive? I guess, but it could be worse...and I spend more than that for gas for each and every trip, so from that standpoint, it's not that expensive.

This is the same point I made in one of the pink worm threads...no one said that steelhead fishing is a good financial decision! If that's what it takes to catch fish, then that's what it takes, for me, at least.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#325417 - 12/23/05 04:50 PM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
I've been using SA (Spey Short Head) for two years now (on one rod); and it's still going strong \:\)

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#325418 - 12/23/05 08:25 PM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Changing mono nylon line every 2 or 3 trips? Wow! I'da' never guessed. As a fly guy, I'm like Homer and use the same fly line for years before it wears out. On my conventional reels, I keep the same line on until I've broken or cut so much off that the reel spool is lookin' a little bare. My Penn 109 salmon mooching/trolling reel still sports the same 17# test of some brand that was on sale when I bought the reel over 25 years ago. It's stored in a cool dark place and only sees sunlight when I go fishing with it, and I check the line strength every year, and still can't break it with my hands. My fishing costs a whole lot less than what you guys spend. Of course, I still pick up hooks along with the corkies and stuff I scavage off the river banks when I'm tromping around. OK, so the custom split bamboo rods cost me a trifle more. Oh, and the test that counts, I don't break fish off with that line either. I did lose one chinook to a bad knot this past year.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#325419 - 12/23/05 08:46 PM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
What was that Berkley line B4 Ironsilk called?? Remember it came in 2 colors one was a photo-sensitive amber the other a moss green. It was tough as nails and had almost zero memory. Pretty cool stuff....C/22

#325420 - 12/23/05 09:23 PM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Have you tried Trilene XT? I'm satisfied with it. It will nick up but I just trim it off.

#325421 - 12/23/05 11:44 PM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Todd:
I change it out about every two or three trips
I do too. Ok, maybe not 2 or 3 trips but maybe every 4-5 times. But the trick I learned is to do like the fly guys do and use a backing or running line that you may only change out every other year or so. I usually use something tough and long lasting like Chamy as the running line and the attach approx. 100 ft of whatever line I want to use for my casting section. That way I'm not wasting so much line and I'm not as hesitant to change the business end of my line for the conditions (test, type and sometimes color) or just to keep it fresh. I like to use a double-uni between the two because it is strong and it doesn't hang up on the guides easily on a hot running fish. IMHO, there are alot of excellant lines out today, some of course are better for a particular reason over another. But overall the differences today are really more subjective than qualitative.

So whenever I start to question my tackle, I just think back to the most deadly steelheader I ever knew (no one I know today can consistently bang metal like he could). This guy could easily afford anything he wanted but he always insisted on using his trusty old fiberglass rod loaded with 25# test McCoy on a cheap Phleuger fly reel. Of course his leader material was always state of the art, but if and when he changed his main line (maybe every 2-3 years) he would reverse the line first before he would toss it.

I guess what I'm saying is:
Have you tried 25 # McCoy lately?

But now if you're wondering what " killer" would say? It'd probably be:
Don't worry mon', be happy!
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#325422 - 12/24/05 12:30 AM Re: Cannot be pleased with modern day fishing line
escapee Offline
Spawner

Loc: Marysville, Wa., USA
knots are stronger with a lighter weight swivel. The closer the wire diameter is to the line diameter the stronger the knot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |