Rate This Topic
#325485 - 12/23/05 03:11 PM PETA's ties to terrorism
Maguana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Hoquiam/Newton
PETA's ties to terrorism

Dec 23, 2005
by Cam Edwards

This week’s revelation that the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has been the subject of an FBI investigation into the animal rights group’s possible ties to terrorism has stunned many liberals.  PETA’s general counsel, Jeff Kerr, called the investigation “shocking and outrageous”, saying “it's an abuse of power by the F.B.I. when groups like Greenpeace and PETA are basically being punished for their social activism."

Two things here.  First, how is PETA being punished?  They’re being investigated.  There’ve been no charges.  There’ve been no indictments.  They’re not being punished at all. 

Secondly, and really the broader question:  Should PETA be investigated for possible ties to terrorist groups like the Animal Liberation Front and the Earth Liberation Front, two domestic terror groups responsible for a series of arsons, bombings, and other violent acts that have caused hundreds of millions of dollars in property damage?  Again, many liberals say no.  At the popular lefty website http://www.dailykos.com, a front page story decried the investigation, saying “Everything that many of us consider moral (taking care of the environment, opposition to the war, freedom to speak our minds, to protest, etc.) is on the FBI's ‘there might be a terrorist connection list.”  So what are the chances that the liberals are right?  Unfortunately, I don’t have access to the FBI’s files on PETA.  I do, however, have an internet connection.  Five minutes on Google can get you some pretty interesting information.

Did you know, for example, that PETA gave $1500 to the Earth Liberation Front back in 2001?  That would be the same Earth Liberation Front recently described as one of the nation’s top domestic terror threats.  According to the Center for Consumer Freedom, this “gift” (acknowledged in PETA’s end of the year tax return) is the only public donation the Earth Liberation Front has received. 

PETA’s tax returns show some other interesting payments as well.  A $2,000 payment to a David Wilson, at the time a spokesman for the Animal Liberation Front.   A $5,000 payment to Joshua Harper, a self-described anarchist who faces terrorism charges for smoke bombing an insurance company with ties to a medical research firm.  Harper, incidentally, denies being a terrorist.  He did tell the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, however, that he has a spark of hope “"a spark of hope in every broken window, every torched police car and every mink running free as their hearts desire."  He also says his ultimate goal is the “complete collapse of industrial civilization”. 

Harper’s not the only animal rights extremist with a gift for eloquence.  How about this quote from… well, let me wait to tell you who actually said this.

“I think it would be a great thing if, you know, all of these fast-food outlets and these slaughterhouses and these laboratories and the banks that fund them exploded tomorrow. I think it's perfectly appropriate for people to take bricks and toss them through the windows, and you know everything else along the line. Hallelujah to the people who are willing to do it.”

Maybe it’s just me, but that sounds an awful lot like an endorsement of violence. 
But PETA’s non-violent, so that quote couldn’t have come from one of its leaders, right?  Wrong.  Those are the words of Bruce Friedrich, PETA’s Director of Vegan Outreach.  But hey, this is just one guy.  Surely this attitude isn’t common at PETA, right?  Well, here’s another quote, this time from PETA’s head, Ingrid Newkirk. 

“We are complete press sluts.”

Whoops.  Wrong quote, although she did say that in the New Yorker magazine back in 2003.  This is the quote I was looking for.

“I will be the last person to condemn ALF.”

She’s right.  PETA doesn’t condemn the Animal Liberation Front.  In fact, Newkirk has written a gushing biography of the terrorist group entitled “Free the Animals”.  She’s provided financial support for the ALF publication No Compromise.  PETA has, over the years, compared ALF to the French Resistance, called the terrorist group the “army of the kind”, and has contributed tens of thousands of dollars to the defense funds of ALF members charged with crimes. 

In fact, Newkirk herself ended up as a footnote in the trial of Rodney Coronado, an ALF member convicted of firebombing a laboratory at Michigan State University.  Newkirk received two packages from Coronado, one the day before the bombing, the other shortly afterwards.  The second package was actually intercepted by the FBI.  Inside the package were documents stolen from the lab.  U.S. Attorney Michael Dettmer said Newkirk had “arranged to have the package[s] delivered to her days before the MSU arson occurred.”

Again, you don’t need to have a top secret clearance to learn these things.  You just need to do some digging on the internet.  After learning these facts, I’m not “shocked and appalled” that the FBI is investigating a possible tie between PETA and eco-terrorists.  I’d be shocked and appalled if the government wasn’t looking into PETA. 

I’ve been fortunate enough to write a few columns on the animal rights extremists for Townhall.com, and after every one I always get a few emails from people criticizing me for writing about these organizations.  They’d rather I highlight the positive stories of animal lovers, of which there are many.  I’ll make these folks a deal.  As soon as I start seeing some of these animal lovers renounce PETA, ALF, and others who condone violent terrorist actions, I’ll write a nice story about an animal lover.  If not, I’ve got a great story in the pipeline about a number of animal rights extremists recently arrested in New Jersey, including one guy facing charges of “making a terrorist threat”.  The peaceful, nonviolent activists strike again. 

Cam Edwards is the host of “Cam and Company” on http://www.nranews.com and Sirius Satellite Radio.  A veteran talk show host and political analyst, he blogs at http://www.camedwards.com in addition to his daily talk show.  Cam lives in Northern Virginia with his wife and five children. 

Copyright © 2005 Townhall.com

#325487 - 12/24/05 01:02 AM Re: PETA's ties to terrorism
Mr.Twister Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
Thought y'all might be interested in today's article.

By the way, I was at both of the those fires that night and it was not a happy point of my career.
A terrorist is a terrorist....Sooo...as I sit here sipping my Jack and Coke..Boo freakin' hoo!!!!

Suspect in lab arson found dead in cell

By Christian Hill

The Olympian

One of two men indicted for the 1998 arson of a wildlife research laboratory outside Olympia died of a suspected suicide in Arizona.
The Olympian - Click Here

William C. Rodgers, 40, was found unresponsive Thursday morning in his county jail cell in Flagstaff. Nurses attempted to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation on him without success.

He was being held there waiting for federal marshals to transport him to Washington state for his arraignment and possible trial.

The county medical examiner ruled the cause of death to be asphyxia, and authorities are investigating it as a possible suicide. He was found with a plastic bag around his head in his single-person cell.

Rodgers was arrested Dec. 7 by federal authorities in Prescott, Ariz., where he co-founded a bookstore, The Catalyst Infoshop, focusing on environmental and social issues.

In a brief statement to The Olympian and other media outlets, his supporters noted his tireless work for the causes of social justice and environmental sustainability.

“We ask that he be remembered as the gentle, kind and compassionate person we all knew and loved here in Prescott,” it read.

#325488 - 12/24/05 01:24 AM Re: PETA's ties to terrorism
Mr.Twister Offline
Spawner

#325489 - 12/25/05 01:43 AM Re: PETA's ties to terrorism
Anonymous
Unregistered

QUOTE: “We ask that he be remembered as the gentle, kind and compassionate person we all knew and loved here in Prescott,” it read.
-------------------------------------------------

Gentle, Kind, Compassionate????????????

What color is the sky in their world?

#325490 - 12/25/05 06:50 PM Re: PETA's ties to terrorism
Mr.Twister Offline
Spawner

Big_Daddy

Yeah...my thoughts exactly....I kept thinking what would have happened if someone would have unwittingly tampered with the timed incindiery devices they used, it would have been ugly..

Sorry Manguana....not trying to hijack the thread...it was just a personal thing with me.

#325491 - 12/26/05 11:43 PM Re: PETA's ties to terrorism
Rafterman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Backwoods of Kentucky
Most of the people I've ever met that were in favor of, or supported groups like PETA, were just a little "off center". :rolleyes:

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 957 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |