Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#325545 - 12/26/05 01:19 PM Re: Better STS cover
Jaybird Offline
Alevin

Loc: Bothell,WA
Yes...I was also subjected to that wardrobe on many occasions in the good ol' days. Thanks for those pics WC...They bring back some great memories of days on end spent with Bob on the river. Lots of great memories for sure..

I'm curious how you came across those...I think SloMo took at least one or two of those shots.

Corey...with all your sewing skills ought to take apart the pants and make a little fishin' outfit for the new little one!!! Sweet Threads they were..

#325546 - 12/27/05 12:33 AM Re: Better STS cover
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Curtis is on the mark ... while as bright as they come for latter November while chasin' steelies at the Ponds. It was a silver \:\)

Looks like I might have some free time on my hands coming up after we take a quick trip to Seattle tomorrow to send send Corey northward so she can be at the birth of her sis' THIRD baby (that was no pressure on me \:\) ) ... I'll dig up a few more of the vintage clothing pix!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#325547 - 12/27/05 12:57 AM Re: Better STS cover
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Bob -

Guess I owe Curtis an apology.

While it is always dangerous to attempt to id a salmon/steelhead from photos the picture the fish in the picture sure looks like a chum (a very bright one)to me. The white tip of the anal fin is diagostic for adult chum salmon. I know that it is pretty rare to see many chum in that system much less one that bright however unless the white fin tip is somehting on the phot and not onthe fish it says chum. Have you ever seen an adult coho with that white fin tip before or since? I have not. The only salmon that I have seen with that marking has been chum - in fact don't recall ever seeing a river chum that didn't have that white anal fin tip.

As I mentioned really off topic and sorry for hijacking. Just those odd appearing or unusual fish always strike me as interesting.

Tight lines
Curt

#325548 - 12/27/05 01:51 AM Re: Better STS cover
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

No apologies needed \:\) Since we rarely see chum out this way, and the few that we do (only one in the Calawah over all the years) are normally so colorful, you never have to look too closely. An interesting not that I've never paid attention to ... I'll have to look at some of the coho pics to see \:\)

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#325549 - 12/27/05 01:55 AM Re: Better STS cover
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Okay, just went to this years years pics, and the first one I pulled looked like this ...

Same white tip, maybe a coastal thing??

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#325550 - 12/27/05 04:29 AM Re: Better STS cover
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Bob I think Curt is pulling your leg.

The white tip on the anal fin is fairly characteristic of coho fry.

While it may disappear after the juveniles go out to sea, it re-appears in a lot of fish as they start to color up and their fins start to lose their clarity.

And while it is true that all river chum have a prominent anal white tip, they don't hold an exclusive patent on that feature.

Here's a few more white-tipped coho:

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#325551 - 12/27/05 08:55 AM Re: Better STS cover
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

FNP-
Doc I wasn't attempting to pull anyones leg. I realize that coho have white fin tips but notice I was talking about adult chum. I remeber reading in a couple adult keys about the white fin tip and like I said I have never seen an adult coho with the same white tip that chum have. Not sure that your pictures with the pale edges are the same as a tip. The fish picture that Bob posts looks more like a tip but not sure about those white dots/drips.

First chance I'll do some more checking (suspect that several of us maybe looking a like more closely at some fish next fall). However as I often say our fish seem to be really adept at jumping out of boxes that we put them into. It may well be that this "white fin tip" is one of those boxes that fish jumped out of.

Best in the New Year
Curt

#325552 - 12/27/05 10:44 AM Re: Better STS cover
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
You look like a young Mikey Z, there Bob. \:\)

#325553 - 12/27/05 12:27 PM Re: Better STS cover
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Bob

On the newer photos of yourself your cheeks have a red glow to them. I assume it is wind burn or something from being out in the weather all day long. I know my hands after a couple days start to hurt from being wet all day long and after one day my face gets wind burned. Not trying to be funny but does your face hurt from being in the weather all the time.

#325554 - 12/27/05 12:55 PM Re: Better STS cover
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
It's all the egg nog......

#325555 - 12/27/05 01:01 PM Re: Better STS cover
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Quote:
Originally posted by Smalma:
FNP-
Doc I wasn't attempting to pull anyones leg. I realize that coho have white fin tips but notice I was talking about adult chum. I remeber reading in a couple adult keys about the white fin tip and like I said I have never seen an adult coho with the same white tip that chum have. Not sure that your pictures with the pale edges are the same as a tip. The fish picture that Bob posts looks more like a tip but not sure about those white dots/drips.

First chance I'll do some more checking (suspect that several of us maybe looking a like more closely at some fish next fall). However as I often say our fish seem to be really adept at jumping out of boxes that we put them into. It may well be that this "white fin tip" is one of those boxes that fish jumped out of.

Best in the New Year
Curt
Well you got me interested now, Smalma.

I went back thru the last few years coho photos and this is what I found. Not one coho from the Kenai is sporting the white tip, but many of the coastal WA coho have it. Although it is present in both sexes, it seems to be more common in the bucks than hens.

And no, these are not just pale drip spots on fish just pulled out of the water... the white tip is for real, even on coho that are board stiff and dried out. What I notice is that the coho white-tip is quite a bit smaller than the prominent spot on a chum. Another difference is that virtually all chums have the white-tips on the ventral fins as well.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#325557 - 12/27/05 08:22 PM Re: Better STS cover
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Doc -
This is all pretty interesting - just illustrates how variable fish can be and that there seems to always be exceptions to any truisms that we may come up with - except that they are a heck of lot fun to catch.

Still up in the air whether the fish in question was a chum or coho - don't suppose we'll ever know not that it is important. Do know I can wait until next fall to do some more checking on the coho fins - still don't recall ever seeing that white tip on the Puget Sound fish.

Tight lines
Curt

#325558 - 12/29/05 06:34 AM Re: Better STS cover
tonemike Offline
Alevin

Loc: Monroe, WA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mingo:
\:D These were the only colors the old Baghwan Shree Rajneesh would let his brainwashed "disciples" wear steelheading the John Day way back when...red power Bob!

Hey Mingo,
your baghwan reference was hilarious!!! i lived in germany back in the day when baghwan had his own dance clubs there and man, you hit the nail right on the head! they loved that bright red.
cheers,
Tonemike

#325559 - 12/29/05 10:21 AM Re: Better STS cover
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally posted by tonemike:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mingo:
\:D These were the only colors the old Baghwan Shree Rajneesh would let his brainwashed "disciples" wear steelheading the John Day way back when...red power Bob!

Hey Mingo,
your baghwan reference was hilarious!!! i lived in germany back in the day when baghwan had his own dance clubs there and man, you hit the nail right on the head! they loved that bright red.
cheers,
Tonemike
dude, I grew up in Portland so tales of the Compound Rajneesh in Antelope were in the news all the time. People would give him all their money and he'd beat them with garden hoses, make them wear red......and let them have orgies. My east Indian neighbor said those guys are a dime a dozen in India, and he could not believe any American would be so stupid.

It just goes to show....no matter how wacky, deranged or weird the "prophet", there is always someone dumb enough to buy into the bs and drink their koolaid!

;\)

#325560 - 12/29/05 05:50 PM Re: Better STS cover
landcruiserwilly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell
does joey butafuoco know that bob stole his pants? \:D

willy

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1107 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645292 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |