Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#325641 - 12/24/05 05:20 PM Combat Fishing
Homer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle
Decided to take a run to Tokul Creek for a look this morning. That's about all I did was look.... I realize it's about the only game in town with the rivers blown out but Cracky...that is combat meat fishing at it's best!! Looked like a whole flock of seagulls lining the creek all short-lining and trying to catch a fish. Didn't see any fist fights today but I have in the past. I guess some guys just have to catch a fish even if it means standing shoulder to shoulder with everyone else in the county. As I was standing on the bridge I saw the game warden sneeking around in his camo back in the bushes. Probably trying to catch some unsuspecting soul attempting to ferry a fish to his trunk without recording it. Don't even think most guys even knew he was there.

#325642 - 12/24/05 06:54 PM Re: Combat Fishing
SKYGUY Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Duvall,Wa
Me and the boy drove out there to check out the river and he wanted to stand on the bridge and watch the show(he's 5). We must have just missed you, I passed the gamie as we were driving in and right as we got out of the truck some dude was screemin for a cell phone because he was just swung at. I don't know if that can really be called fishing...... No thanks!

#325643 - 12/24/05 07:34 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I prefer my combat to be with fish, not fishermen...but I've been known to take a crack at Tokul Creek when the rivers are flooding, as it is the only game in town, but only during the week, and only for a couple hours in the morning.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#325644 - 12/24/05 07:58 PM Re: Combat Fishing
bank walker Offline
Spawner

That place is a sh--hole. Why is it even open? It would be cool if the fish could be recycled back down river, instead of festering in a sportsmans nuthouse. IF anybody is that desperate to catch a fish, then i suggest finding a new hobbie. That is not steelhead fishing...PERIOD Thats how i really feel \:D
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#325645 - 12/24/05 08:42 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Homer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Actually they do recycle the summer run. They truck them down to Duvall and dump them several times during the river. Tokul Creek doesn't spawn summer run. You are right, it's a different breed of folks who fish there. Some guys who would never think of fishing it will bow down to the fish gods when the main river is out and it's the only game in town. Sometimes it is worth the price of admission to stand on that bridge and watch the show though.

#325646 - 12/24/05 08:44 PM Re: Combat Fishing
STIHLHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: W. WA
Bring your own rock \:D

I drove by to fish and no one was catching any and nothing on the banks. I would have fished anyways but the combination of crowds, snaggy river and seeing no fish turned me back.

#325647 - 12/25/05 12:35 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Yakutat Jack Offline
Juvenile at Sea

yeah, I caught a recycled winter run below Tokul last year...they punch the gill plate with a round hole puncher....isn't that special?

#325648 - 12/26/05 02:33 AM Re: Combat Fishing
Curt45lc Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everson, WA
They punch the hole in the gill plate to help the tokul creek "fishermen" legally snag the recycled fish. You can hook em in the gill plate with a dull hook, isn't that special!

#325649 - 12/26/05 02:25 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Queetsqueef Offline
Returning Adult

It's frustrating because tokul creek is 2' wide. What fun is it to fight a fish in that environment? When the water is snorting, why bother fighting mother nature, and 500 other clueless flossers to catch a scrawny little hatchery fish.

Brew a pot of coffee, build a fire and tie riggin. Restock the pips or fly box. Go to your local fishing store and restock you Marabou and jig-heads. Wait a day or two, maybe a week if necessary and get out and catch fish when the odds are better, and the pressure is lighter.

#325650 - 12/26/05 08:39 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Homer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Queets you are right on. I don't quite understand that type of fishing myself. It is rather comical though to stand on the bridge and watch the show. This photo was taken today from below Tokul Creek in the back eddy. Looks like it could have been taken somewhere in New York State to me....

#325651 - 12/26/05 08:58 PM Re: Combat Fishing
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
I've fished the big eddy quite a bit over the last 10 years as its only 40 min. from my front door. All and all the guys are pretty good, will reel in or step out of your way if you get a hook-up, maybe even get a net job if you want one. I do stay off the upper part of Tokul Creek, that floss-fest is too much.....Sometimes if I want the solitude I'll go elsewhere, sometimes I just want a fish, and watching the show keeps you from thinking about your cold feet too much!!...C/22 \:D

#325652 - 12/26/05 10:24 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Yakutat Jack Offline
Juvenile at Sea

yup, that pic looks familiar..was there today, probably tomorrow too. May be me on the point. Would rather be anywhere else...but the only show in town unless willing to explore the raging or tolt etc. Give me that low water back!!

Often as a suburban commando fisherman with a 8-5 job, kids, commute, wife, honey-do's don't have that much time to beat the rivers like I used to. Unless on a major weekend guide trip to the OP etc., usually only have time to hang at the snoqualmie or sky...at least thankful I have those nearby!

#325653 - 12/26/05 11:41 PM Re: Combat Fishing
jon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: auburn, wa
I'am lucky. I have Mondays off and don't have to fish the weekends unless I really want to. And if you fish Blue Creek scenes like this shouldn't scare you. I only count 23 or 24 people in the picture. There would be about 40 to 50 at BC on any given weekend.

I will say this. I have fished both places over the last 20 years. Even at it's worse 99% get along with one another but because there are so many people it increases the number of those 1% with attitudes and mouths. Something to take into consideration if you want to catch fish or just go fishing.

#325654 - 12/27/05 01:14 AM Re: Combat Fishing
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
I've seen days on the Bogy below the hatchery that look like that. Most folks get along pretty well. It's supposed to be about fishing -catching is a bonus.

#325655 - 12/27/05 02:55 AM Re: Combat Fishing
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle
well i fish tokul all the time. it is a joke. getting fish in there isn't that hard. i use 10lb line max. with a medium action rod. and i can gte any size fish in on that creek. the people that use 30lb+ line are the jokes. its the same fighting a fish there as it is on any other river. if you know how to fight a fish you will have no problem. people just think that sence its shallow and fast that you need to have heavy gear.

#325656 - 12/27/05 12:19 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
I fished Tokul Creek once when I was learning.

I hate wind mill fishing...ya know you don't even have to cast that thing is so small just let out a little line and just keep running it through.

What I remember I hated the most about that dang creek was the noise of the white water, it is really loud.

#325657 - 12/27/05 02:39 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Doesn't look any different than the hatchery hole on the Bogey in December.

#325658 - 12/27/05 04:11 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Chum Lord Offline
Fry

What I have not seen on Tokul Creek is after the fish is hooked! What then a sprint down steam through the rocks bushes and anglers? Must be using some serious mono to horse them in. No working rrom there!

#325659 - 12/27/05 04:33 PM Re: Combat Fishing
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
I've seen guys with fish so hot or a$$ hooked they are sprinting down the creekside, around the bend they go screaming FISH ON all the way to the river. I'm talking 12-15 lb'ers not little brats, and some of those fish are skying 2-3' out of the water all over the creek... Damm funny stuff

#325660 - 12/27/05 06:55 PM Re: Combat Fishing
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

i hooked one today that jumped 3-4 times. man it was nice. but the water is till alittle to high to go sprinting down creek. \:\)

#325661 - 12/28/05 02:18 PM Re: Combat Fishing
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
No thanks,I'll wait for the other rivers to come back into shape.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

P.S. I've been there and done that.It's been ten years or so.

#325662 - 12/28/05 04:04 PM Re: Combat Fishing
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Never fished it, never visited it, nor will I.

I'd rather chop off my fingers that deal with that garbage and the likes.

#325663 - 12/28/05 04:12 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Yeah, the Lewis in July is a much more pristine experience. \:\)

#325664 - 12/28/05 05:04 PM Re: Combat Fishing
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally posted by Sol:
Yeah, the Lewis in July is a much more pristine experience. \:\)
"combat" isn't what I'd use to describe the NFL in July.

I'd use the words "Goat Rodeo".

\:D

#325665 - 12/28/05 06:59 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Long 'Duc Dong Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: South Sound
Wooooooohooooooo!!! My first winter steel trip tomorrow morning. I can't wait. Just got finished tying up thirty 8-inch leaders and got em rolled up in my Pips. Going to my fav zipper-lip hole on the upper-Snoq. brats stack up here like no other spot on the river.

Parker one day I'll take you to "The Crick," #856 on your card. Brats from this "pristine" little stream eat just as good as those from 398, 561 or 615.

P.S. leave the UEC at home, straight yarn works much, much better here.

#325666 - 12/28/05 07:27 PM Re: Combat Fishing
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: seattle wa
try stringing panty-hose between your ankles and stand in the middle of the creek......then they cant get past you.........

#325667 - 12/28/05 07:36 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
..........I heard fishin' been so bad down at BC that they're thinking of bussing the "boys" up to the "Crick" for some action. Should get interesting with a hundred 2 oz cannonballs and 9 foot leaders pounding a 2 foot wide rivulet. But then again it just might flush out them flaming float fishermen like it did down yonder........Hey that's MY ROCK!

Sorry, Post Traumatic Fishing Syndrome.
I promise it won't happen again.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#325668 - 12/28/05 08:07 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
With the rivers the way they are, and with Blue Creek being so crowded and with slow fishing, I'm surprised half a dozen idiots haven't exercised their right to run a jet sled up Tokul Creek so they could side drift under the bridge and in front of the hatchery creek.

Don't tell them they can't, or they'll accuse you of trying to own the whole damn river!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#325669 - 12/28/05 10:07 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Todd:
run a jet sled up Tokul Creek
If they ask, be sure to tell them to use the upper Snoqualmie put in.
;\)
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#325670 - 12/28/05 10:09 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Homer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Was at Tokul this morning after trying the main river at Fall City. Watched the game warden (think it was Chandler) latch on to two guys who had been fishing under the bridge. They moved down to the mouth where one of them caught a fish. I saw the warden haul them both up over the bank with the fish. Another fisherman nearby told me that neither of the guys had licenses. Expensive fish.....

#325671 - 12/28/05 10:20 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Addicted Offline
Rico Suave

Loc: Whidbey Island
I fished it (Tokul) twice this week and did real well. I hate the crowds too, hadn't fished it in years, but what are ya gonna do when you just need to fish. I couldn't wait any longer to get my river fix, and I'm glad I did. Just slide down the bank on the main river, downstream from the crowds, and it's less of a madhouse than the bank below the Bogey hatchery.

#325672 - 12/28/05 10:21 PM Re: Combat Fishing
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Homer, If a guy spent two full days at that crap hole, he could probably have enough video footage to make another "Jackass" movie... Pretty sad place
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#325673 - 12/28/05 10:36 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Addicted Offline
Rico Suave

Loc: Whidbey Island
Bank W. That's funny. I actually had that idea while I was there. I actually spent more time people watching than fishing. It is a crazy scene. Next time, the video is coming with me.

#325674 - 12/28/05 10:53 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Homer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

No doubt. It's worth the price of admission to watch some of the antics. I heard the other day the wardens hauled some guy off to jail for not recording his fish. Must have been more to the story though, I can't see them takin' a feller off to the grey bar hotel just for not recording a lousey fish. Last year I saw a guy wading out in the middle of the creek with shorts on!! More cahoneys than I have!!!

#325675 - 12/29/05 04:01 AM Re: Combat Fishing
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

wow i hate to say it to all you. but shut up. its fishing, and thats what matters. you say its the only game in town sence the rivers are high. well if its as bad as everyone says they why even talk about it. i fish tokul at least 4 times a week. its not any different then sitting on any other river banks casting for fish. fishing is fishing. and unlike most places with that many people. we have a good group of guys that fish up there. its the nonlocal guys that talk bad about the fishing there that give us the problems.

that being said, it does get to be quite the joke when there are no other places to fish. having a bunch of guys up there that don;t know how to fish that type of water. do all us "FLOSSERS" a favor and just stay home if its so bad up there.

and yeah go ahead and flame on if you want. i can take it. i've the crouds on every river. i'm sure i've heard it all. \:\)

#325676 - 12/29/05 04:08 PM Re: Combat Fishing
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: seattle wa
dude! 1:01 AM!!!!!! at that time all im thinking about is shootin off a surface to belly missile and goin to bed!!!!!

posting after midnight never does anyone any good \:D \:D

#325677 - 12/29/05 05:37 PM Re: Combat Fishing
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally posted by Long 'Duc Dong:

Parker one day I'll take you to "The Crick," #856 on your card. Brats from this "pristine" little stream eat just as good as those from 398, 561 or 615.

P.S. leave the UEC at home, straight yarn works much, much better here.
Ok. I'm game. Just say when (but not a weekend, please).

No UEC, but can I bring the sand shrimp and the pearl pink corkies? Or, am I out of my league here?

#325678 - 12/29/05 06:51 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Rafterman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Backwoods of Kentucky
Quote:
Originally posted by lupo:
dude! 1:01 AM!!!!!! at that time all im thinking about is shootin off a surface to belly missile and goin to bed!!!!!

posting after midnight never does anyone any good \:D \:D
Lupo, Now that's funny. I dont care who ya are. That's funny.

#325679 - 12/29/05 07:14 PM Re: Combat Fishing
Homer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I don't think you deserve a flame party there runabait, and when I first posted this, I surely didn't mean to step on anybody's boots just because they fish on Tokul Creek. It was just an observation of mine and a statement that I couldn't enjoy that type of fishing. It's a pretty exciting place when the fish are in and everybody is catching them. I also know that most of the regulars that fish the creek help to keep some sort of order by brow beating the snaggers and those who don't obey the rules. If that kind of fishing gets your blood pumping, more power to you. You do need to get more sleep though.......jeesch....posting at 1AM....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 327 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |