Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#79356 - 11/22/06 10:03 PM Re: Muzzleloader
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I must be the freak in the bunch.

I use Remington's Model 700 inline muzzleloader. I originally bought a Knight 5 years ago but didn't do my homework well enough as the ignition wasn't legal.....back it went(sob!) I'd always shot Remington back in my modern rifle days and since they(at the time) were introducing a "Washington-legal" muzzleloader line, I gave it a go and have used it ever since. It's been a good accurate rifle and has accounted for 4 deer in 5 years.....all one shot kills.

I use #11 caps, Pyrodex RS at 100 grains and Knight 50 cal. & 260 grain bullets with a sabot.

Laughably, I didn't even know about musket caps until a friend showed me his this fall. Definitely bigger and would appear to generate a hotter ignition. I understand they are adaptable with a simple change of the nipple. Might have to look into this.

Thanksgiving tomorrow and then 3 weeks in the woods!!! One thing about this weather; crappy for fishing, great for hunting!

Good luck to all, maybe I'll see you out there if you hunt the coast. beer

#79357 - 11/23/06 12:55 AM Re: Muzzleloader
BigTULE Offline
Parr

Loc: Hockinson, WA
We bought all of our bighorns at bobs.

Will be out tomorrow chasing deer. Brother will be chasing Elk.

#79358 - 12/18/06 12:59 AM Re: Muzzleloader
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Head:
Quote:
Originally posted by BigTULE:
[b] I like the current regs. It keeps some people away from it. Just think if they were as reliable as a rifle what is stopping everybody from switching over.
I shoot a Knight Bighorn, my party has 7 of them. And they are just about perfect.
BigTULE, I just handled a Knight Bighorn today and it was the best feeling my hands ever felt in awhile. Thats a stainless barrel, black synthetic stock with a thumb hole, right?
I am curious to know how it shoots. Does $369 sound right for this rifle? [/b]
Ironhead it is in the right price range... I personally just ordered the thumbhole stock for my Knight Bighorn, I bought it several years back and the thumbhole was not an option. Our party has been through all the muzzle loaders and if there is any advice I can give you it's to get a stainless model no matter what you choose. They hold up so much better. The blue'd ones just can't take the weather and corrosive powder well.

Also, BigTULE a little advice... I used to shoot 100-110 grains of pyrodex and got away from it because it is so much harder to clean your gun. I've switched to 150 grains of the Triple 7 powder with the 295 grain Powerbelt bullet and in the 10 years of muzzleloading never seen such a tight pattern at 100 yards. All my buddies but 1 shoot the Bighorns with this load... Plus I do agree that the CCI Musket Caps are the hottest out there.

For those of you still shooting the #11 caps do yourself a favor and spend the money on a musket nipple. You'll thank yourself in the long run. When we first started we had many misfires and delayed fires with those.

Another thing, I buy new Powder and caps every year and have never had a misfire since doing so.

Keith laugh

#79359 - 12/29/06 11:56 PM Re: Muzzleloader
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
Just a litle info. I shoot a Knight Disc extreme. anybody that knows this gun is thinking it's not legal. If you call Knight and talk to them they will sell you the breech plug to make it legal in WA. It's called the western ignition system. I think you can get it for any Knight rifle. they will even trade it at no cost if you don't use the other first. I can't say enough about Knight rifles. they are the best!! I got a great deal on mine from Gunbroker.com. shiped to my door. for what allot of shops wanted for a T/C Black Diamond XR. that was my second choice. but it has to many moving parts. I don't like that big moving action when you pull the trigger. My knight bolt holds the back of my Musket cap and won't let it get flipped off. Knight allso has a great double safety.

As for the .52 cal. I think you will regret that one. Buy the .50 first. you can get bullets everywhere. Just do a search locally and on the web for the bullets and make sure they are legall in Wa. You will change yer mind fast!! I did. LOL

Kris

#79360 - 12/31/06 05:23 PM Re: Muzzleloader
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Poulsbo
Quote:
Originally posted by dcrzfitter:
Just a litle info. I shoot a Knight Disc extreme. anybody that knows this gun is thinking it's not legal. If you call Knight and talk to them they will sell you the breech plug to make it legal in WA. It's called the western ignition system. I think you can get it for any Knight rifle. they will even trade it at no cost if you don't use the other first. I can't say enough about Knight rifles. they are the best!! I got a great deal on mine from Gunbroker.com. shiped to my door. for what allot of shops wanted for a T/C Black Diamond XR. that was my second choice. but it has to many moving parts. I don't like that big moving action when you pull the trigger. My knight bolt holds the back of my Musket cap and won't let it get flipped off. Knight allso has a great double safety.

As for the .52 cal. I think you will regret that one. Buy the .50 first. you can get bullets everywhere. Just do a search locally and on the web for the bullets and make sure they are legall in Wa. You will change yer mind fast!! I did. LOL

Kris
I think I might have run into you in the dickey during elk season. If not I ran into another guy with a dsc extreme converted. For use in the NW. I shoot a Bighorn and can't believe how accurate it is. 348 powerbelt and 100 grains pellets

http://www.madrivermanufacturing.com/swstore1.htm

Jigs, injection molded worms made in the USA

#79361 - 12/31/06 06:14 PM Re: Muzzleloader
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
tunaklr

It wasn't me. I don't hunt that erea.

I shoot the 300 grn/.50 cal, sabot ,QT by Precision Rifle's. I like them and am going to to do a little more testing with more powder. right now I shoot 120 grns of 777 FFg. Oh and I allso shoot the musket caps.the #11 don't compare.

Kris

#328311 - 01/18/07 10:26 PM Re: Muzzleloader [Re: dcrzfitter]
Anonymous
Unregistered

dcFitter,

I shoot the exact same load as you accept #11 mag caps out of a T/C black diamond 22". Did lots of testing before I got the right load. Shoots same hole groups every time at 50 yd and sub 1" at 100yd from a bench rest. Killed an elk at 110 yds off hand and a deer at 80 yd off hand this year. Elk went 5 ft and the deer went 40 yd. both were lung shots with lots of blood on the ground. DEADLY is all I can say!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 332 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |