Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#329898 - 01/29/07 03:41 PM Yakima River
Easy E Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Washington
Any of you guys fish the Yakima? Are there any groups or clubs that do trips over that way? I am fairly new to fly fishing and most of my fishing partners are gear fishermen. Have never fished the Yakima but am planning on making a few trips this year.

#330194 - 01/30/07 06:53 PM Re: Yakima River [Re: Easy E]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Here is a link to a website with lots of info on the Yakima.
http://www.theeveninghatch.com/
Brian

#330225 - 01/30/07 09:37 PM Re: Yakima River [Re: Easy E]
Fish Whisperer Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Belfair, WA
Easy here's another site with good info on the Yak.
http://www.worleybuggerflyco.com
Make a few trips over before the irrigation season starts. Better to fish from the bank. Look at the river flow charts for info.
Great River to fly fish but I never caught big fish there. Not sure where your located but a lot of the local fly shops have guides that work there. Good luck.

#330869 - 02/02/07 11:34 PM Re: Yakima River [Re: Fish Whisperer]
Magicfly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Pasco Bulldog country
Fished it quit a bit before moving out of Yakitraz. Fall time was my favorite time of year, after the flip flop. Total accessibility. The Yak is an evening fishery for sure. And a drift boat is a huge plus in the summer time.

Here's a couple pointer's. After the flip flop, and if wading. Park the car and WALK the river from the highway. Sooner than later you'll spot the dimples of fish feeding along the shore. These fish are fished over day after day, and spook very easy! It doesn't take much to put them down.

And think mm16.

Mf

"Go hard, today Can't worry the past, coz that yesterday". GO COUGS!!!

#331009 - 02/03/07 11:51 PM Re: Yakima River [Re: Magicfly]
Katmai Kid Offline
Fry

Loc: Tacoma
I fished the Yakima from a driftboat today. At about 10:30 am, we started from Bighorn. It was 26 degrees out and overcast. The brisk breeze did not help the casting or the temperature level. Ice in the guides was a problem all day. I caught 1 rainbow (about 10-12 inches) and one whitefish. My friend got skunked. We floated to Umtanum (spelling?) and the entire drift only took about 3 hours becase my friend got cold and we did not really stop to work over any of the good stretches. When we arrived at the take out, it was a balmy 34 degrees. We saw a couple trout rise to hit the surface, but we were fishing only nypmhs. Overall, it was a fun day, but dress warmly!

#331247 - 02/05/07 10:46 AM Re: Yakima River [Re: Katmai Kid]
Easy E Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Washington
Thanks for the input guys. I think I will do a trip with one of the many guides in the area this spring before taking my boat over. I have talked to the guys at Reds a few times and they seem like good guys. From what I understand most sections are pretty easy to float, even for an inexperienced driftboater like myself.

#331783 - 02/07/07 11:02 AM Re: Yakima River [Re: Easy E]
Preston Singletary Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Skwala stonefly activity (and I'm talking dries here) on the Yakima usually commences when the water temperature reaches a point between 40 and 45 degrees. Sometimes this occurs as early as mid-February. The water temperature at Umtanum yesterday was 38.352 and has been coming up over a degree a day for the past few days. I'll be tying late winter/early spring patterns (again, mostly dry) for the Yakima at the Meydenbauer show this weekend; stop by.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Salmo g., 1 invisible), 968 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |