Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#331764 - 02/07/07 03:58 AM Lake Tapps Launch Fees
Bill G Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Buckley Wa.
Does anyone here work for Pierce County or have an e-mail address for the persons in charge of the parks and boat launches.
The local news paper ran an artical about new fees at the Bonney Lake park being increased 100%. That will overwhelm the north end park.
There will have to be a comprimize between fishing crafts and play boats.
Off subject where is the spell check for this box?
Bill

#331766 - 02/07/07 05:13 AM Re: Lake Tapps Launch Fees [Re: Bill G]
skeeter bassin Offline
Fry

Loc: Bonney Lake
WOW!!!! That is an outrageous increase. Just to verify you are talking about the Bonney Lake City Park (Allen Yorke Park). Cuz the launch fee there was already ridiculous if you lived out of the city at $12. Looks like I may have to drive a few extra miles to the North end now.

#332024 - 02/08/07 03:25 AM Re: Lake Tapps Launch Fees [Re: skeeter bassin]
Bill G Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Buckley Wa.
This is the artical.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2007 * THENEWSTRIBUNE.COM/NEWS/LOCAL * SECTION B

Higher cost for nonresidents on Lake Tapps expected to raise revenue.

Boat access to Lake Tapps in Bonney Lake likely will cost more for nonresidents. A higher fee and an automated system are in the works.

By Mike Archbold The News Tribune

By Memorial Day, the boat ramp at Allan Yorke Park on Lake Tapps in Bonney Lake will have an automated launch system and a higher fee.

The City Council is expected next week to adopt a launch fee for nonresidents of $20, up from $12.

At the only other boat launch on the lake, Pierce County charges $10 to launch and $7 to park at North Lake Tapps Park. An attendant takes the fees.

Gary Leaf, Bonney Lake's community services director, and the city is still considering the details but probably will set a $10 fee to put a boat in the water and $10 to take it back out.

City residents still will be able to buy an annual pass for $25 but that won't buy them unlimited use. Leaf said the Council is considering a set number of launches for those passes, perhaps 40.

The system calls for hydraulic metal posts that will go up and down after boaters pay a fee at a kiosk by credit card, debit card or pass. No cash will be exchanged. The posts will be placed at water's edge in the two launch lanes.

Boaters will be told to first stage their vehicle and trailer in front of the posts and then pay the fee. The barriers will drop once the fee is paid and then rise again automatically after the trailer leaves the water.

Leaf said the system is similar to one used on Lake Washington in Kirkland for the past 10 years.

The Bonney Lake City Council is expected to award the contract for the $80,000 plus system at its Feb. 13 meeting to the low bidder, Netversant, a Bonney Lake-based security firm.

Leaf said the automated system will replace the summer attendant and capture boaters who used to come in the morning or evening when the attendant was gone. Sometimes the attendant, usually a teenager hired for the summer, missed work and boaters launched for free.

The city felt it was losing money, Leaf said. In 2006, it collected $32,200 on about 1,500 launches. The revenue has its own line item in the city's parks budget.

"My assumption is the revenues will be higher," he said.

Leaf estimated that 80 percent of the boaters are nonresidents.

On busy days, he said the city still might put an attendant at the ramp to keep the launch area orderly. There is little parking at the park itself and boaters end up leaving their rigs along streets in the area. Leaf said there is a small launch waiting area reserved along Bonney Lake Boulevard.

Leaf said nonresident boaters will be able to buy a single pass for $20 or an annual pass at City Hall. An annual pass with 20 launches would cost $400, he said.

Mike Archbold: 253-597-8692 mike.archbold@thenewstribue.com

What do you think this will do to our fishing access. All the Jet sleese will be taking up our trailer parking space at the county park.
Just had a brain thart. Does anyone out there live in one of the areas that has a private launch. I and many other fishermen would be willing to pay a reasonable fee to have a place to launch our boats and park our rigs. ANY TAKERS
Bill

#332035 - 02/08/07 09:22 AM Re: Lake Tapps Launch Fees [Re: Bill G]
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
wow, that is pretty excessive. With so many lakes in the area it's hard to cough up $20. I don't fish on Tapps but feel for those that would like to make it their regular lake. BTW, where are the other ramps? I'll edit the overview so people are aware there are other spots to launch.

#332046 - 02/08/07 10:20 AM Re: Lake Tapps Launch Fees [Re: Mike C]
skeeter bassin Offline
Fry

There is only one other public launch at the lake, that being the County Park on the North end. All other launches are either private community launches or personal private property launches. Looks like I am done fishing there. Its a real shame, that lake has become a very productive fishery. Not too mention I can be in the water within 15 minutes of leaving my door. Unfortunately, I literally live on the wrong side of the street to get a city passs. As you said Mike, too many other good lakes in the area to spend that kind of cash to put my boat in the water.

#332228 - 02/08/07 06:14 PM Re: Lake Tapps Launch Fees [Re: skeeter bassin]
sully Offline
Alevin

Loc: Everett Wa. usa
Wouldn't it be funny if they actually lost money due to everyone going somewhere else?
This is a very short sighted act of government tax greed!

#332335 - 02/09/07 09:39 AM Re: Lake Tapps Launch Fees [Re: sully]
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
That's a thought - boycott the lake launch site and see if it sends a message. I suspect the skiers and jet boats contribute more in fees than the anglers. I would view going to Tapps as a treat I would permit myself 1-2 a year. If it was in line with other lakes I'd consider going more often, so yes, if other anglers think like me they will be losing rvenue, at least from anglers. Maybe the goal is less boat traffic on the lake?? Can you imagine having a noisy jet boat, spending all that money on expensive gas PLUS paying $20 to get on the lake?

#332528 - 02/10/07 12:44 AM Re: Lake Tapps Launch Fees [Re: Bill G]
crappiehunter Offline
Alevin

Loc: tacoma
Hello,
Talked to a friend today about this. I myself am not sure if this would effect the North ramp for the fees. North Tapps is part of Pierce County Parks. I understand that you can buy a pass to use Spanaway Lake and the North Tapps launch. Approximately 75 bucks for a year pass. If that is the case then, maybe get a Pierce County Park launch pass.That would be better than 400 dollars for 25 launches. I understand you can buy one from Bud at Spanaway Lake. That might just solve the problem of cost for launching at Tapps. I'll check into that myself and post my findings.
I was also a little miffed at the price of launching . First Bonney Lake Parks maybe needs to look at itself in a mirror first.And ask why has it taken this long to figure out that it wasn't making the money it was supposed to? Why this year and why now? They are going to rip up the launch now to put in thier anti-terrorist metal wall thingies that pop up out of the ground? I doubt they would be done before the lake opens.Then the cost overuns..come on! Why did they hire abunch of irresponsible kids that didn't show up for work.Their fault for not hiring better people.
If you figure the math that they did. They made $32,500 for 1500 launches that equals uhmmm...$20.00 per launch. I think Bonney Lake could do the same as what is done at Coulon Park in Renton. Set up a teller type machine where you pay $10.00 to launch. Non-Renton Resident.Pay with cash or debit/credit.Get a ticket.Slap it on your dash.And go on your merry way. And if you don't pay maybe then get slapped with a hefty fine. (my spin)I do think though that if this $20 fee does go through then it might keep a bunch of the inconsiderate knuckle headed boaters and jet skiers that jet buy you at less than 10 feet away from you, off this lake.
Lake Tapps is a excellent Lake to fish. It has a vast variety of species. I for one ,will find a way to fish it.There is always a way to get around the bureaucracy that is Bonney Lake Parks. Thanks for letting me vent. Now go out and catch a big fish!!

#333036 - 02/12/07 08:45 PM Re: Lake Tapps Launch Fees [Re: crappiehunter]
Daniel T Offline
Fry

Loc: Puyallup
Wow. I just started going to the lake for the first time mid-season last year. Hope this changes.

#338465 - 03/09/07 06:50 PM Re: Lake Tapps Launch Fees [Re: Bill G]
skeeter bassin Offline
Fry

Finally, looks like those greedy.............. Oops sorry , family forum. Let me start over, looks like the money grubbing city council in Bonney Lake is catching some heat from the state over their proposed, what may very possibly be, illegal launch fees at Allen Yorke. Here is the article in the paper today.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/story/6407106p-5712914c.html

Still not sure if I will launch there just out of principal.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |