Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#341535 - 03/22/07 09:34 PM Electric Reels
Iron Head Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: tacoma, Washington, US
I need to get an electric reel for my dad this year.
The old man is having some health issues and I want to get him an electric reel to help him with his halibut or dogfish (LOL).
Can you guys recommend something for me?
It would be nice to spend 1K for a nice electric reel, but we don't use them much, probably one week in a year.
I have lots of reels peen and shimano reels to accomodate an electric motor.

Thanks

#341538 - 03/22/07 10:33 PM Re: Electric Reels [Re: Iron Head]
redside1 Offline
Fry

Loc: bc
check out Daiwa on line. Look for "Dendoh" reels. Not too sure what they are worth but they are new for 2007 electric reels. You can also look for "Electramate" products. These guys have something that you should be able to attach to one of your existing reels

#341566 - 03/22/07 11:57 PM Re: Electric Reels [Re: redside1]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Here's a link to a source on electra mate reels. If you have a Penn, they can set up up.

http://www.deepdroptackle.com/electra-mate-electric-fishing-reels.htm

#341582 - 03/23/07 12:34 AM Re: Electric Reels [Re: bushbear]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
A couple of years ago I got invited to a week long fishing trip to Alaska. The 2nd day we went Halibut fishing.

The boss of the guys (he paid everybodys way) had one of those that hookup to a Penn reel. I'm sure it was an electra-mate, as posted above. Him and I traded off every hour. We were fishing 600 feet. You almost can't imagine 600 feet. We carried on the boat a 12 volt battery and it ran 2 electric reels all day and I'm sure would have gone another day.

That reel worked so good I couldn't believe it. The boss reeled in his Halibut (100 pounds) and never took the rod out of the rail holder. Here's Mr. Baker working hard on a hundred pounder!

Man, if I could afford to buy one I would do it. Of course, I would never try 600 feet again either.

fp

Edited by fp (03/23/07 01:55 AM)

#341587 - 03/23/07 01:01 AM Re: Electric Reels [Re: fp]
Iron Head Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks guys.
FP, we fish 600+ ft and have caught fish over 100lbs.
My brother and I actually like the exercise but my dad is not in his best health. Last year he was our "bait boy" but this year I need to promote him to "fisherman".
I have looked at the electramate and the dolphin but just wanted to verify them with you guys.

#341589 - 03/23/07 01:16 AM Re: Electric Reels [Re: Iron Head]
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA

This is my newest electric a Daiwa Tanacom Bull 750, can't say enough for the performance of this reel. My other electric is a Miya Epoch and it is slower, and has no manual crank but it has saved the day when your arm starts cramping from reeling up manual Daiwas and penn senators.

Kinda looks like old "Parkers" Blue Viento.

The 750 holds over 2000 ft of 60 pound Powerpro.

Steve

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#341597 - 03/23/07 01:55 AM Re: Electric Reels [Re: FishNg1]
Iron Head Offline
Returning Adult

FishNg1, how much?

#341654 - 03/23/07 12:32 PM Re: Electric Reels [Re: Iron Head]
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
The Daiwa makes the electra-mate and others obsolete. You can still use it as a conventional reel and the torque and features are in a much smaller and sleeker "package". But pricey...$800

#341661 - 03/23/07 01:07 PM Re: Electric Reels [Re: Slab Quest]
SPUD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Woodinville, WA
Steve is 100% correct. I have a pair of the Tanacum Bulls and they put my other electrics to shame.

spud

#341664 - 03/23/07 01:17 PM Re: Electric Reels [Re: SPUD]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
WTF. I have never heard of electric fishing reels (not a salt guy). What are you guys a bunch of wimps or something. That kind of takes the sport out of it. I understand that these fish are big and you may catch them all day but come on. Isnt that the risk you take for pursuing fish of this caliber. Seems like cheating to me. Like electronic sights on a bow or a night vision scope on a rifle. Not sportman like.

j7 2012

#341668 - 03/23/07 01:31 PM Re: Electric Reels [Re: j 7]
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

J7intheboat, have you ever fished 500 to 700 feet? Ever tried this with 4 pounds of metal jig attached and then getting two dogfish on your line at the same time. Try doing this scenario with a conventional reel about three times in a row, you just might quit fishing for an hour or so.
And no this does not take the sport out of our fishing, we only use these reels to help us out. While I was once a mighty youngster, with all the stamina in the world, I used to crank those babies in with very much stamor, but know as I get older these things are great, no more cramping of the arms and not so much of a backache at the end of the day.

I hope you don't have a depthfinder or a gps on your boat (if you even have one) because isn't that like uh cheating or something?
Oh and btw, what about the outboard thingy on the transom, shouldn't you be using ummm OARS? You get my drift.

Say what you want, but until you have experienced it first hand.......STFU. Hmmm, did I just say that? Thats not like me now is it?

We're not wimps, just smarter than some. Work smarter not harder, now where have I heard that before?

Spud....see you out on the banks....soon!

Steve

#341679 - 03/23/07 02:46 PM Re: Electric Reels [Re: FishNg1]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Go easy brother, I said I understand that those fish were big and you get tired but thats part of the game. There are laws that prohibit a bowhunter from having a device that keeps his bow at full draw (exept disabled hunters). Now why would that be? There are laws that prohibit the use of spotlights and night vision scopes. Now why would that be? I dont need GPS, I know how to use a compass and maps plus I never fish a body of water large enough to warrant the use of a GPS. So what if I use a fish finder and a motor, I'll stil have to get the fish to bite and reel them in myself without the use of an electronic reel. Do you use a boat or truck? You get my drift.

My point is your taking the physical element out of the fight. It was just my initial reaction because I didn't even know that electric reels existed for sportfishing use. It just didn't sound right or sportsmen like to me. If a fish can beat you in batlle to the top then let it. If a deer see's me draw my bow and bolts, then that is the lesson I learn to be more careful next time. Maybe your lesson could be to prepare yourself physicaly. I have to spend two months in the gym prior te elk season so I can keep up the pace on the slopes.

Being smart is not the issue here. If your working smarter then your still working.

No sir I have not fished that deep or caught the said fish or two. If you would like to invite me and prove your point maybe I could be swayed. I'm sure I could help chum over the side of the boat with vomit in the sound or the ocean.

j7 2012

#341686 - 03/23/07 03:37 PM Re: Electric Reels [Re: j 7]
SPUD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

We usually fish in 400-600 ft of water sometimes going to 1000 plus. Notice the crank on the handle if you want to reel. But for dropping and checking bait they are great ....really great after jigging a 2-4 pound lead for 6 hours.

Spud

#341688 - 03/23/07 03:47 PM Re: Electric Reels [Re: SPUD]
SPUD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

j7intheboat,

I just noticed you are new to this site. Probably not a good idea to start slamming on others right off the bat.

Steve, can't wait for the opener on the 9th ! See ya out there !

Spud

#341695 - 03/23/07 04:27 PM Re: Electric Reels [Re: SPUD]
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

j7intheboat, the only reason I was being so sarcastic, is the fact that you started out your sentence with "WTF". Like Spud said, if you frequented this site more often, you would realize that I don't usually give a "darn" what others say.

You would also have seen that I do invite many to come fishing with me, if you have a pukin problem and want to tag along, so be it.

Peace brother!

Steve Ng

#341697 - 03/23/07 04:35 PM Re: Electric Reels [Re: SPUD]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

SPUD,

I just noticed the number of times you have made a post in 3 years. Dosent seem like you contribute that often. You dont sound very credible when you slam me about slamming. Where the heck were you when I was getting ripped up and down about the effects of lead fishing gear. I've been slammed here and I've given slams, so what. Thats what I was told told to do by some members that have been here longer than you and contribute often. Elbow your way into the club and be prepared to give a quick jab is what I was told.

Why cant you take a little criticism or understand another persons viewpoint? Which none of you electric boys have. All I'm reading is. I fish to deep. I cant reel them in. j7 is picking on me. I havent heard any response to what I have said about archery restrictions or being physicaly prepared to do battle with nature.

I know I can be long winded but if indoubt please read every word I type very slow and read every word in your response very slow. Then think and submit.

Why not take me fishing and show me what you are talking about? I'm very open minded and I'm not scared to try new things.

So settle down, there is no initiative on the ballot, I'm just one avitar with an opinion. Dont you think this site would be boring if everone just patted everone on the back and did not offer any opinions or optional methods. I think this thread was a great thing for me to see. I have never heard of electric fishing reels and now I have. I dont think its is sportman like in the traditions of todays sportman.

j7 2012

#341700 - 03/23/07 04:45 PM Re: Electric Reels [Re: j 7]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Thanx FishNg1. I should have put a ? after the WTF because it was news to me that electric fishing reels even existed. Sarcasm is tough to understand when spoken by some, even more difficult to write it or read it. Could you show me a picture of one of the 2-4 pound jigs you guys use?

j7 2012

#341702 - 03/23/07 04:48 PM Re: Electric Reels [Re: ]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
I don't know if they would work or not AM......I've fished with the saltwater models, and they are kinda heavy....never seen one small enough for casting/retrieving all day long.....maybe they would be OK for plugging?

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#341705 - 03/23/07 04:53 PM Re: Electric Reels [Re: ]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
j7intheboat, Your attempts at boat whoring are failing miserably.

Oh yeah! FishNg1 said I could tag along and blow chunks off the stearn.

I would have no problems with physicaly disabled people using this type of fishing gear for any type of fish. But if your just using it because your tired then that is where I have to draw the line.

j7 2012

#341709 - 03/23/07 05:08 PM Re: Electric Reels [Re: FishNg1]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
 Originally Posted By: FishNg1

Kinda looks like old "Parkers" Blue Viento.

On steroids, maybe.

Dang.

That thing is cool looking.

I could have used that reel the 1 and only time I went halibut fishing. I don't care who you are - dropping down a 5lb. chunk of lead with some herring down to 300', only to have a "chicken" ripp the bait off in 2.3 seconds gets OLD really damn fast.

My entire forearm would cramp up from reeling that lead time and time again.

Heck, I PRAYED and CRIED for a fish. At least when I did get one on, the fish would stay suspended in the water column and at least give a break from reeling.

Man, that was FUN! Can't wait to do it again! \:D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 433 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |