Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#342420 - 03/26/07 11:06 PM The Spawn
semago Offline
Fry

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Does anybody know the major differences between lm bass spawns, sm bass spawns, and walleye spawns? I know a lot about largemouth bass spawning and virtually nothing about the others. Any help would be appreciated in explaining these logics.

#342434 - 03/26/07 11:26 PM Re: The Spawn [Re: semago]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
From what I have noticed it is the depth at which they spawn. Large mouth tend to be really shallow when they spawn (2' - 4'). Small mouth beds are deep as 15' sometimes. I'm no to sure on the walleyes but I think they are deeper spawners than Largemouth.

Some times it just depends on the structure or bottom texture. They all need a gravely rocky bottom to spawn. Back east the largemoutn females would swim back and forth over one spot to move the sand and silt away to expose the rocks. I've seen them do this in a couple of Idaho lakes too.

j7 2012

#342439 - 03/26/07 11:34 PM Re: The Spawn [Re: j 7]
semago Offline
Fry

Are you sure they like rocks? I heard they like sand more than anything. Do you know the time period that all of these happen?

#342585 - 03/27/07 02:51 PM Re: The Spawn [Re: semago]
SlabKing Offline
Alevin

Loc: Seattle

You want to keep an eye on the water temps more than anything. When the water reaches 55* they will (large and smallmouth) move up shallow and start crusing shallow sides of points, the edges of flats, docks, brush, and shallow rockpiles. By the time the water temp hits 60 they'll be looking for a place to fan out a bed. By 61-64* the males will be on the beds and females will be close by (usually on the first break outside the spawning area). Some fish will be spawning, others will be clearing nest, and some of the larger females will have already spawned when the temps get above 64*.

Walleyes spawn in much cooler water. I've seen them spawn in water as cold as 42* in some of the smaller Seeps Lakes. By the time the water hits 57* they are done spawning for the most part. In lakes they'll spawn on the edge of weedlines, rocky flats, or in the middle of heavy brush if there are not any rocky/sandy sites around. They can spawn in water as deep as 25' or as shallow as 2' on some lakes. in the reservoirs they'll head up any available inlet creek and spawn where ever they find suitable structure.

#343672 - 04/01/07 01:50 AM Re: The Spawn [Re: SlabKing]
semago Offline
Fry

You guys know what size of bait i should use? Large or small? I've heard about both and im not sure which one i should use.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 933 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |