LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#344772 - 04/05/07 02:57 AM What should I buy for bassing?
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
Ok, so with some bass starting to show up in shallow waters, I've gotten the bug and wanna get out and go bassin soon. But first, since I'm pretty much a rookie at all this, I needa know what sort of stuff I should buy.

I already have a pretty well stocked tackle box full of stuff, but disregard that....I have pretty much one of everything, but I don't really know what the most effective lures/colors are.

So what do you guys think I should go out and buy? I'm a rookie basser but I know the technical terms and stuff, but I just get overwhelmed when I see dozens of different soft plastics and all sorts of colors and all the hardbaits as well...

I don't wanna go out and break the bank, I just need pointers on what I should buy and make it under like $40....I think a mix of hardbaits and soft plastics.

I'd like to know what colors that I should get too, thats probably my biggest problem right now. I can't really figure out a color when someone says get a Senko...There's a dozen different colors and I can't figure out which one I should pick.

I will be fishing on smaller lakes (under 150 acres) most of which have trout and bluegill and perch in them too. Some will have crawfish in them too...I figured letting you guys know this would help in matching colors.

#344777 - 04/05/07 07:25 AM Re: What should I buy for bassing? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
Beerbohm Offline
Alevin

Loc: Spokane, Wa
If your able to lift a rock or two and find a crawfish in a lake you like to go to find the color that is in that lake. Crawfish have always been a good one that I have used. I typicaly go for the most natural looking of the lures. Rapalas have been a favorite of mine as well. The problem with fishing is sooner or later your tackle will be worth more then your boat.

#344814 - 04/05/07 01:15 PM Re: What should I buy for bassing? [Re: Beerbohm]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Hunter,

Since the water clarity in the washington is pretty good. I would stick natural colored hard baits. Black & silver, Baby bass, crawdad, and trout smolt color patterns. I found that the chartreuse and bright yellows dont work out here like they did out east. The water is muddier back there.

As far as soft plastics go. white, blue gliter, green gliter, orange & brown have worked decent in the past. Sometimes a little red will do the trick too.

j7 2012

#344881 - 04/05/07 06:31 PM Re: What should I buy for bassing? [Re: j 7]
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
Thanks guys...

#344917 - 04/05/07 08:41 PM Re: What should I buy for bassing? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
semago Offline
Fry

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Get some black/blue senko's. They have worked great for me. Any off-black and black lure is usually a home-base type of lure, something most fisherman have and actively use.

#344994 - 04/06/07 12:40 AM Re: What should I buy for bassing? [Re: semago]
BASSER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma Wa,
Yeah, what j7 said. You can't go wrong with smoke / gold flake.
White spinnerbait is a must, I do not know what they think it is, but they do like them.

#345001 - 04/06/07 12:56 AM Re: What should I buy for bassing? [Re: BASSER]
Bill G Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Buckley Wa.
You know, you always have to buy 4 of any bait that you like, because if it turns out to be good you know you will loose the first one. Then if it is that good your buddy will want one and you know your buddy will loose it . There for you will need 4.
Bill

#345079 - 04/06/07 02:11 PM Re: What should I buy for bassing? [Re: Bill G]
BEANCOUNTER Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bothell
Senkos: Get watermelon in the 4" variety
Jig heads (1/8oz.) rigged with 3" grub (watermelon/black/brown)= deadly

#345225 - 04/07/07 01:17 PM Re: What should I buy for bassing? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
Bruce M Offline
Egg

You can always read my article on Washington Bass verses Georgia bass under Bruce's bassen Essentials. I give a list of some exceptional lures and baits that work for me in the article. There ar3e othere lures out there of course but these are some real basic ones that a beginner can always use. Tight lines to ya.

#345452 - 04/08/07 11:58 PM Re: What should I buy for bassing? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
ck14 Offline
Fry

Loc: edmonds
my go to lures:
1.) 4" senko, watermelon or green pumpkin
2.) spinnerbait, chartreuse or white on white
3.) baby brush hog, green pumpkin
4.) 1/8oz grub, color code 176
5.) dropshot w/sniper snub, dark brown

the last 2 are more for smallies then largies (which i fish for more).

#345977 - 04/10/07 09:55 PM Re: What should I buy for bassing? [Re: ck14]
Rob1 Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Spokane
7" Zoom worms Watermelon red, 1/16 bullet weight, 3/0 Owner Texas rigged hook. Brush hog rigged the same way in lillies.
1/2 to 3/8 Chartruse spinner bait. I prefer willow leaf silver blades. Fish it across windy points. Fish it as slow as you can, so the blades barely turn.
Buzz bait in the hottest part of the day over deep water, may take 20 throws, it gets big uns sometimes. Early worm gets the fish.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |