Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#346263 - 04/12/07 01:55 PM Sea Bass/Neah Bay
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
I'm probably going to be spending more time on the salt this year than I have in a few years. Picking up a new (used) Grady Escape 209 pretty soon and am going to put her to good use this summer. One of my favorite fisheries, although I haven't done it much, is sea bass out of Neah Bay.

I've only done it a handful of times and have caught quite a few of them but don't really have it dialed in. Basically just threw clousers on a heavy sinking line and stripped 'em in with varying speeds. Always just fished around kelp beds.

Anybody here have any experience with them and be willing to share a bit of insight. Colors? General areas?

Thanks, Dave

#346273 - 04/12/07 03:34 PM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: wntrrn]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
around the kelp beds and as for colors it doesnt really matter. \:\)

I like to fish them from time to time, but prefer to catch salmon out at swiftsure if I am makin the trip up there anyways.
To the South there are lots of areas that are good for rockfish and lings. Pinnacles and flats in areas around 30' have produced a lot of nice fish for me. I usually just use a chartruese and white clouser or a tube fly.

#346294 - 04/12/07 06:48 PM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: D3Smartie]
Devilsadvocate Offline
Parr

all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

#346298 - 04/12/07 07:04 PM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: Devilsadvocate]
BrianL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Several friends have had insane topwater action on flies in the coves and around the points and islands west of the Dump. I've seen video to back it up, and the action is intense.

Will be investigating myself soon, but I'd highly recommend taking some 3 - 4" poppers/sliders to try. The Black Rockfish are more surface-oriented than the other rockfish and really attack those flies.

Good Luck!

Brian

#346315 - 04/12/07 09:58 PM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: Devilsadvocate]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Devilsadvocate
all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

Thanks, that's just the information I was looking for.

#346316 - 04/12/07 10:04 PM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: wntrrn]
D3Smartie Offline

haha.... just in response to my sig. line.

in regards to what brianl said, the top water action can be great from Whaddah west if you see the blacks flipping on the surface or find a good school in shallow water. I like to head southt though to get away from some of the people. Also i have hooked kings around the kelp by Tatoosh. Never landed one, but hooked a couple big ones.

#346338 - 04/12/07 11:32 PM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: D3Smartie]
Pisco Sicko Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Twisp WA
The info from both D3Smartie and BrianL jibes with my experience. Schools will often be hanging just downstream of little current breaks/seams.

Wish I could get over there more than the once or twice a year I manage.

#346370 - 04/13/07 12:07 PM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: Pisco Sicko]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Now the rug comment makes sense.

When you say you like to head south are you talking out around the corner or more toward Sekiu?

I prefer fishing for salmon with the bug rod out there but sometimes it's just not on. That's when it's nice to be able to head in and have some steady action.

I've never really been into the fish when they wanted to grab something topwater but usually have a rod set up for it.

Thanks for the info.

#346371 - 04/13/07 12:15 PM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: wntrrn]
mkorb Offline
Fry

Loc: Poulsbo
In my experiance, fishing the kelp beds is far more productive early in the season when it is easier to position the boat. Later in the season when the kelp gets real thick, the weather is usally much nicer and fishing around tatoosh and duncan rock is quite a bit better. I am not one that likes to be in the middle of the kelp getting hung up every third cast ....

#346372 - 04/13/07 12:22 PM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: mkorb]
D3Smartie Offline

Around the corner.

#346373 - 04/13/07 12:24 PM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: D3Smartie]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks again.

#346448 - 04/13/07 09:14 PM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: wntrrn]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Does the topwater action have any specific patterns? Like early morning or high slack.

If there was a pattern I'd guess it to be a moving tide when bait is being pushed into certain areas causing some sort of feeding frenzy. That's just a guess.

And it would seem at slack there wouldn't be that kind of bait stacking so the fish might move and feed a bit deeper? Another guess.

#346470 - 04/13/07 09:56 PM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: wntrrn]
D3Smartie Offline

i havent noticed one but there could be. Usually seems like when you are in them thick, its a good time to bust out the poppers. They will come a long way to get a surface fly too so you dont have to see them flipping, but it always helps.

#346767 - 04/16/07 01:37 AM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: D3Smartie]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
Hey D3, I have always wanted to fish "around the corner" from Tatoosh. I have a 17 Montauk this season, how is the water typically in July/Aug as I usually dont go beyond Tatoosh. Thanks.

#346791 - 04/16/07 10:06 AM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: summerrun]
D3Smartie Offline

I fish out there in a 17' grady. I have gone to blue dot and swiftsure... just depends on the conditions. there have been days out there when it was just glass, and then others when it was damn rough.

#346906 - 04/16/07 09:01 PM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: D3Smartie]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

i hear ya, i will venture out a bit further this summer, just depends on where the fish are. thanks

#347541 - 04/19/07 01:50 PM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: summerrun]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

My apologies for not referring to them as Black Rockfish.

That's in response to the pm I received about not knowing what the heck I'm talking about.

#347681 - 04/20/07 01:50 AM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: wntrrn]
salty Offline
Returning Adult

I'm not a fly guy, but I regularly toss topwater bass plugs out there and I assume your poppers work the same. I've had the best topwater action at first light/dusk when the water glasses up. Just seems we see a lot more fish on the surface at those times, then they move down in the water column as the sun rises and the water chops up. The schools around Waddah, Garbage Dump, Mushroom Rock, Tatoosh, etc., are good earlier in the season, but they get pounded pretty good...the further "around the corner" you go the better. Just fewer boats making the trip.

As far as boat requirements, it's all weather dependent. I've had a 15' Smokercraft with a 20 HP at Tatoosh. Last July we took a 19' center console aluminum out to Canadian Swiftsure. If you poke your head around Waddah and it's glass (and the weather forecast looks okay), go for it. If the wind kicks up, come back inside the corner before it gets hairy - the channel between Tatoosh and the cape gets nasty in a hurry. You can always go around Tatoosh from there, but it's just that much more exposure traveling crossways to the swell. Once you're back inside, you can take it easy going with the swell/chop, tuck into the bays between Mushroom Rock and Waddah, and limp back to port in pretty rough stuff.

#347916 - 04/21/07 02:13 PM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: summerrun]
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
 Originally Posted By: summerrun
Hey D3, I have always wanted to fish "around the corner" from Tatoosh. I have a 17 Montauk this season, how is the water typically in July/Aug as I usually dont go beyond Tatoosh. Thanks.

the water is always spotty, just take a look when you get out there and go from there, we take a 16ft glasply out and have made the 26 mile run to father and son island

#349493 - 04/28/07 10:42 PM Re: Sea Bass/Neah Bay [Re: mreyns_tgl]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Thanks, I fish out there a few times a year but usually never need to go past Tatoosh. Very good looking water from what I have seen from the beach though...

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Thumbburner), 1176 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645374 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |