Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#347859 - 04/21/07 12:33 AM Washington Muskie Fishing Update
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
I received this information from one of our regular readers (and muskie enthusiasts), Don Wittenberger:

Mike:

The Director of WDFW has appointed me to the Inland Fish Policy Advisory Group. This board provides citizen feedback to the department on freshwater fisheries management policies.

I asked to be appointed to this board to speak for the interests of our state's tiger musky fishermen. Many of the board members represent clubs or organizations, but there is no musky club in our state, so I was appointed as an individual fisherman. So far as I know, I'm the only board member speaking on behalf of the tiger musky fishery.

Therefore, if your readers who are interested in this species have specific ideas or concerns they want to bring to the attention of WDFW fish managers, and would like to contact me, they can reach me at dwitt546@aol.com or try to call me at 206-542-1268. Emails should have "Inland Policy Group" or "tiger muskies" or something to that effect in the subject line, so I don't delete it as spam.

Don Wittenberger
Seattle

And an update message from Don:

A catch-and-release rule request is being prepared for submission and angler support for it is needed. Please feel free to contact me and also to let WDFW know your views on this subject.

And from Mike:

Let's help Don and have our voices be heard. If this is something you'd support, please contact WDFW and let them know.

#347903 - 04/21/07 12:59 PM Re: Washington Muskie Fishing Update [Re: Mike C]
crappiehunter Offline
Alevin

Loc: tacoma
Hey Don & Mike,
Thanks for stepping up. I did go to the WDFW meeting last December in Tumwater. Was a very interesting little get together. One thing I would like to put out though. If you could tell by the body language of the WDFW members they are not very informed about the Tigers or Muskies in general. And it seemed to me that they were not very interested in keeping the Tiger program going.~Costs~
Like I have stated they feel that this is an "exotic". Which is true. But they alone will not wipe out the "beloved" Triploid population of fake trout. My rant,I'm sorry. If the state is so worried about paying for these fish. They could possibly make a "Musky stamp".Wisconsin has a Salmon stamp. In which you pay I think its ten bucks,per fisherperson.All those procedes go to the salmon hatcheries.That covers the costs for raising and releasing the fish into Lake Michigan. That my friends has revitalized the salmon fishing on that great lake.And those are natural fish. They reproduce. They could do the same here for the tigers.I for one WOULD pay to help sustain this fishery.
As far as the Catch & release. I am for that 100%. We already have a size limit. And remember the Tigers don't get as long as naturals.But they grow faster and heavier. They top out at 48 to 50 inches. I think a 40 inch limit would be sufficient statewide.
And Don, this is not a shot at you but, no more photos of Muskies hanging in knotted salmon nets alright. Not a good representation of CPR ,"Catch,photo and release." If you are going to advocate this,practice it properly.
I'm a good guy really!
I think you'll be a good spokesman for the Musky fisherman around here. Please though, listen to us and speak for all of us. And I'm sure you'll hear from all of around who are as dedicated to this fishery as I am and love it like I do. If you want to contact me you can at ratherbefishin@nventure.com Thanks, Todd

#348034 - 04/22/07 12:12 PM Re: Washington Muskie Fishing Update [Re: crappiehunter]
crappiehunter Offline
Alevin

Hey all,
Just to clarify something. There were two fellas from the fishery dept that were at that meeting. They were very informed and were informing the Board members (the suit and ties) on the musky program. The suit and ties were the ones that seemed to be the nay sayers and doubters about the program. Just wanted to make myself clear. Thanks Again

#348095 - 04/22/07 10:40 PM Re: Washington Muskie Fishing Update [Re: crappiehunter]
Bill G Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Buckley Wa.
Sick'em Todd.
Bill

#348409 - 04/24/07 12:47 AM Re: Washington Muskie Fishing Update [Re: Bill G]
crappiehunter Offline
Alevin

Hey Bill,
Slacker!! Maybe you should offer up some advice too!! LOL...

#348410 - 04/24/07 12:49 AM Re: Washington Muskie Fishing Update [Re: crappiehunter]
crappiehunter Offline
Alevin

Bill G...Lake Tapps expert...fishing extrordinare..spell check please...your pretty good at coloring maps...tight lines to ya!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |