THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#348906 - 04/25/07 11:20 PM what the hell is a spiny ray?
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
i've heard this term thrown out there a couple of times, is it a fish, or like a subspecies or what??

#348907 - 04/25/07 11:25 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: mreyns_tgl]
cfish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: port orchard
Walleye are, I think they are fish with spines on the dorsal???

#348911 - 04/25/07 11:32 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: cfish]
TBird Offline
Fish Fear Me

Uh oh.. Mark's out to set another state record... ;\)

So easy, a cavegirl could do me

Team FTW

#348912 - 04/25/07 11:35 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: TBird]
Castaway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim, WA
cfish has it correct, spiny rays are such fish as perch, bass, bluegill, walleye, don't know about crappie, but i'm guessing them too!!!

#348920 - 04/25/07 11:43 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: Castaway]
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

damn bird you caught me...lol not really, but actually last year i did compile a list of about 7-8 fish that i deemed have beatable records i put a star next to 3 or 4 that im pretty sure i have already beat...lol

chris/cfish thanks for the clarification

#348949 - 04/26/07 01:31 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: mreyns_tgl]
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
Yea more or less s**tfish..For the most part...

#348954 - 04/26/07 01:43 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
Castaway Offline
Returning Adult

Walleye and Crappie are sh!tfish, have u ever eaten any?????

#348958 - 04/26/07 01:50 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Fish Hunter 07

Keywords: "For the most part"

Yes I do respect Walleye and Bass.
I can't say anything about Crappie as I've never fished for em or tasted them, but Walleye are tasty.

Edited by Fish Hunter 07 (04/26/07 01:51 AM)

#348959 - 04/26/07 01:55 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
C'mon if they don't flash silver they aren't worth playing with...

Heck if you're going to eat a walleye you might as well eat a squawfish..... No really, why wouldn't a squawfish taste any good? They eat the same stuff as a Walleye...

Keith

#348960 - 04/26/07 01:55 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

Keywords: "For the most part"

Yes I do respect Walleye and Bass.
I can't say anything about Crappie as I've never fished for em or tasted them, but Walleye are tasty.

LOL those s**tfish will be what's left for us to fish for in a few years.

BTW Bass are considered "spinyrays" too.

Edited by cheapskate (04/26/07 01:57 AM)

#348964 - 04/26/07 02:00 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: cheapskate]
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Spiney Rae was an underweight crack 'Ho I use to hang out with on the South side of Chicago. She's kinda gamey, kinda fishey, but not a game fish.

Always wear protection before touching a Spiney Rae.

VHawk

#348972 - 04/26/07 02:23 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: VHawk.]
Castaway Offline
Returning Adult

LMFAO!!!

#348975 - 04/26/07 02:24 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: VHawk.]
River Nutrients

VHawk: Your starting to talk like Sol, lol.

Cheapskate: Yea I know bass are spiny ray as well

Stlhdr1: Squawfish tend to have ridicolously high PCB and Mercury levels...they are like the bullhead of freshwater. Walleye are actually good tasting. I don't know of anyone who's ever tried squawfish.

#348991 - 04/26/07 05:23 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
spiny ray: underrated, good eating fish that few people fish for on the west side.

i don't know what i like better, springer fillets or a plate full of deep fried bass/bluegill/perch/walleye/crappie.

plus, you don't get an angry mob after you for killing one, unless there's a diehard bass fishermen around. then i just give them the finger when i lift up my stringer.

#348999 - 04/26/07 09:08 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: Chum Man]
r2fishn Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: tacoma
hey vince did she have a sister snoty leggs

#349001 - 04/26/07 09:43 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: r2fishn]
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Get off your soap boxes. Warm water fish are fun stuff. Crappie are my favorite. I have caught "multiple" steelhead over 20 lbs.. more than several, but I would trade one for a 17 inch crappie.. I have gotten close. 15 1/2 and 16, but never hit that "holy grail" of 17 inches. The weather is usually good, and its a great family outing. Kids love it because at times, you can catch one every cast. Along the way, we catch Small mouth bass. Those suckers are big fun on an ultra lite set up. Some of the lakes real close are world class ( Brownlee, Oxbow, Hells Canyon, CJ Strike) for smallies and Crappie.

A good freind of mine is a professional Bass fisherman ( Fishes the FLW tour ) and does pretty well. True enough, he looks like Ricky Bobby out there, but trust me, his life does not suck ( when was the last time a sponcer gave you 20,000 dollars worth of whatever you thought you needed and a 50,000 dollar boat to go out and use it.. every year..) His wife used to be pretty skeptical of the whole thing " why don't you just get a job" but these days, when he brings home the bacon its 5 digits on the check.

I'll go out with him a couple times a year when he is home. I love a drift boat, however, If you have ever been in Triton that can top 70 MPH you know how freaking scary it is. Those things flat fly. He will have 6 different rods rigged and fishes like he is mad at those fish. No wasted movement. You think you can cast a level wind ?? Guy can take you to school. He can hop a bait under any tree limb. Its pretty impressive. He does crack me up. He will be fishing bass and I'll be fishing crappie. Many, many times the big bass of the day falls to my crappie jig. He gets every kind of pissed. " I need you to help me pattern these fish" " Uhhh, dude, I think I just did. You want a chartruse crappie jig " " STFU, and start throwing this Motor oil brown sparkle wiggling hoggie wog, or I'm gonna throw your ass off this boat "..

It ain't steelhead, but it does pass the time and its pretty fun.

#349115 - 04/26/07 05:29 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: Chum Man]
Mergantroider Offline
Professional Tveecher

Loc: Oahu, HI /Olympia, WA
 Originally Posted By: Chum Man
spiny ray: underrated, good eating fish that few people fish for on the west side.

i don't know what i like better, springer fillets or a plate full of deep fried bass/bluegill/perch/walleye/crappie.

plus, you don't get an angry mob after you for killing one, unless there's a diehard bass fishermen around. then i just give them the finger when i lift up my stringer.

you are grossin me out. Springer? there is no comparison. you must have not grown up around here boiy!!

oh yeah....theres nothin like eaten a nice mushy, mud tastin, pale meated lake fish mmmmm mmmmm gosh. just cant wait to go out and get them : )

it just cracks me up when i get into these diehard 50,000 metallic gold boats with billy bob sittin up front, bouts to catch em some bass!! they get all pissy when i laugh at using 25lbs test for a fish that generalyl is under 10 lbs. seems kinda....unsportsman like. plus i read the article of the guy who caught this ginormous bass, thing looked like it was at the powerplant lake or somethin

" well she bit hard, ran a bit , almost took me about 3 minutes to get her in."

3 minutes?

ive had 8 lbs steelhead last more than 3 minutes. let alone a 20 lbs.

lake fishin is fun dont get me wrong, but for taste and exhiliration, keep me on the salt, or the river.

Edited by Mergantroider (04/26/07 05:30 PM)
Edit Reason: i proof read it after i posted :)

#349121 - 04/26/07 05:48 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
 Originally Posted By: B-RUN STEELY
Many, many times the big bass of the day falls to my crappie jig. He gets every kind of pissed. " I need you to help me pattern these fish" " Uhhh, dude, I think I just did. You want a chartruse crappie jig " " STFU, and start throwing this Motor oil brown sparkle wiggling hoggie wog, or I'm gonna throw your ass off this boat "..

That was funny.

We need a Pro Steelheaders Tour. Oh crap, what the hell am I talking about. The egos are big enough around here. They don't need to swell any more than they are!

#349139 - 04/26/07 07:21 PM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: The Moderator]
nookie dreamin' Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everwet
Spiney rays are the "nappy headed ho's" of the fish world...

#349204 - 04/27/07 01:07 AM Re: what the hell is a spiny ray? [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
littleriver Offline
Parr

Loc: Ethel, Washington
 Originally Posted By: B-RUN STEELY
Crappie are my favorite. I have caught "multiple" steelhead over 20 lbs.. more than several, but I would trade one for a 17 inch crappie.. I have gotten close. 15 1/2 and 16, but never hit that "holy grail" of 17 inches.

B-RUN.... Was fishing up in the Boundary Waters of Northern Minnesota 'bout 12 years back.... Got into bunches of huge crappie... caught them on spoons and stuff I was casting for northerm pike and smallmouth. They seemed to be hanging out with the big boys and feeding on the same forage.... All the crappie were over 2 pounds and probably 17 inches or more........

Thought it was an aberration but when I got back to Ely and related the story at one of the tackle shops I was told that huge crappie in these lakes are very common.....

These Crappie were huge but they didn't taste very good.... smaller ones are excellent table fare but these big boys had a lot of dark fatty stuff in the fillets....

An interesting note for anyone who might have an opportunity to head back and fish northern minnesota at any time in the future.... Fishing is very popular in this state but everyone is after walleye for the frying pan.....

The tackle shops in Ely all have large quantities of leeches and minnows in live wells....... These baits tend to favor catching walleye over smallmouth bass or northern pike and that's where everyone's head is at.........

I don't like using bait (especially live bait) so I just started throwing out spoons and crankbaits and was hauling in all these northern pike, bass, and huge crappie while everyone else in the party drowned leeches and caught nothing.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |