LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#36428 - 10/13/06 12:05 PM Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead
Blades™ Offline
Spawner

Loc: La La Land
Looking to go out for some lake fishing, hopefully looking to get into to some muskie or tigers? are there any northern pike up this way? also any good lake for big trout or bass?

#36430 - 10/13/06 01:59 PM Re: Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead
CD Custom Rods Offline
Parr

Loc: Tri-Cities, Wa
Lake Curlew has both tiger muskie and lake trout (BIG ONES)...it is well worth the trip from anywhere. You must bring a boat. It is just North or Republic ,Washington...sorta between Grand Coule and Spokane.

#36431 - 10/13/06 02:11 PM Re: Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead
Get_Speyed Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Marysville
Your killing me with your new profile pic.

John Steinbeck

#36432 - 10/13/06 02:22 PM Re: Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead
Moe the Sleaze Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: The Boardwalk, on the way to S...
I believe there ARE some Northern Pike in Washington State, probably in Eastern Washington.
Also there are a couple lakes over near C'oeur d'Alene, Idaho that are really GOOD for Pike at certain times of year...don't remember their names for sure, Hauser Lake maybe?

#36433 - 10/13/06 02:30 PM Re: Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Yeah, that pic is very Big Stickish. I'd rather it be a another Mingo-like pic than that thing but...

Anyway, closer to you, you could hit Campbell Lake (just over Deception Pass) for bass. I've never done it but I understand there are some good largemouth in there. If you learn to flyfish, Pass Lake can be great (regs=flyfishing only). Lake Whatcom has smallmouth. Lake Samish has largemouth and some big trout. There are several other decent largemouth lakes in Skagit County that I haven't fished. Most of these places will require some sort of boat but that could mean a crappy canoe or some sort of inflatable.

As far as pike and muskies, I don't think there is much of anything close. I know that muskies have been planted in some lakes in the last 10 years. Off the top of my head, I know they've been put in Fazon Lake (Whatcom County) and Green Lake (Seattle). I've always wondered why we don't have pike here but a lot of the west side lakes really aren't very fertile. Hit eastern WA and you will see the difference.

Be sure to check up on the regs because a lot of lakes close at the end of October.

Good luck.

#36434 - 10/13/06 05:20 PM Re: Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
You don't want pike in any waters where they will impact salmonid populations. We have enough management problems as it is with imported cool/warm water species. I'd just as soon see them gone from west coast waters.

#36435 - 10/15/06 11:41 AM Re: Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
Tapps lake in Pierce is turning into a premier hybred tiger muskie lake. Mayfield, farther south, Green, Curlew, Merwin (Cowlitz)... I know I'm missing a few. You can read specific reports and view pictures over at www.WashingtonLakes.com.
No pike I know of except as mentioned in eastern Washington - I believe there are pike in the Pend O'Reille river system.
These tiger muskies don't reproduce so please consider catch and release.
I would mention zip (bass) but it seems everytime someone says zip (bass) guys get all mocking and stuff. But I have come to enjoy the quiet solitude of electirc motoring between peoples docks and catching them (the bass, that is). No competition to speak of (certainly nothing like steelheading or salmon fishing rivers). Plus, the thirst for new lures is never-ending. laugh

#36436 - 10/15/06 02:55 PM Re: Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead
TBird Offline
Fish Fear Me

Loc: Port Angeles
There are actually freshwater fish other than salmon and steelhead that exist? confused

laugh

So easy, a cavegirl could do me

Team FTW

#36437 - 10/15/06 04:56 PM Re: Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead
Ichtyoid Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
Sturgeon, Bass, Trout, Sunfish, Bullhead, Pikeminnow, Carp...

#36438 - 10/16/06 12:40 AM Re: Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
Hey, I published a very interesting carp article a little while ago. Carp fishing is very respectable in England. It was a big thrill for me as a boy to go catch carp in a local pond. Some of my fondest memories...

#36439 - 10/16/06 01:30 AM Re: Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
Washingtonlakes.com
It will give you a great start to lake fishing. Has some saltwater stuff but very limited. No Rivers. Pretty much lakes only. Would be in your best interest to figure out a few lakes and research them before you hit them up.

#1027203 - 03/29/20 07:20 PM Re: Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
This will be our future if WDFW keeps shi##ing the bed

#1027272 - 03/30/20 07:35 PM Re: Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead [Re: Mike C]
GPS Offline
Parr

Originally Posted By: Mike C
Hey, I published a very interesting carp article a little while ago. Carp fishing is very respectable in England. It was a big thrill for me as a boy to go catch carp in a local pond. Some of my fondest memories...

Too soon for many here to wrap our heads around that.

Brits have the advantage of having destroyed most of their salmon centuries ago, hence the carp esteem.

#1027283 - 03/30/20 09:47 PM Re: Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead [Re: GPS]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: GPS

Brits have the advantage of having destroyed most of their salmon centuries ago, hence the carp esteem.

Whew! OUTTA the ball park!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1027296 - 03/31/20 07:44 AM Re: Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead [Re: Blades™]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The Brits still have salmon, but in Private Waters. The public gets the course fish like carp.

I have seen a few articles on flyfishing for carp in the Columbia (East side). Apparently stalking them in the shallows is a pretty technical task. And they are bigger than most coho and many black mouth......

BTW, there is a big effort to get Northerns out of Lake Roosevelt. Don't know if it has been successful. The Rumor Mill has a few joining the Lake Washington Walleye.

#1027303 - 03/31/20 08:47 AM Re: Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead [Re: Blades™]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
They have a bounty on Northern Pike in Roosevelt...there are bags and deposit freezers at the gas stations in Kettle Falls. My old man just bought 20 acres and built a house on the lake up there, his new Hewescraft is done, just needs the rigging done, but that is on hold now, unfortunately.

He grew up pike fishing, he's excited to go catch a bunch.

I'm supposed to go over there to take him turkey hunting in three weeks, but they just canceled the April 5th youth turkey opener, not feeling too optimistic about the general season that opens on the 15th.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1027332 - 03/31/20 01:56 PM Re: Other freshwatewr fish beside the almighty Salmon or Steelhead [Re: Blades™]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
From the shore of Lake Roosevelt.

Turkeys, I chase them out of my yard every day, they only run about 15-20 yards then watch you go back in the house. My dogs won’t chase them, and the turkeys don’t leave if they do.

They were destroying a rock wall by excavating it.

I catch lots of trout and walleye with a few others species thrown in. Big trout too.

As for people fishing, right after businesses were shutting down the number of boats headed out of Spokane to the lake was amazing, it seemed like every other vehicle was pulling a boat.

That, and the confirmed cases of C19 in my county are from people coming from the west side, people trying to escape King County and going to their lake house.

Look, I don’t blame them, but it spreads the virus.

I could go out front and fish from the beach, but I’m not going to.

I fully understand why they needed to shut it down.

I fished for very large carp in lake Washington back in the 60s, they’re bigger and harder to catch than you think.

Also fished for them in other locations, even lake Powell.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1054 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645292 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |