Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#367538 - 08/08/07 01:48 PM Wild Pigs
neudl Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Seattle, WA
Alright - we have all heard the rumors about wild Pigs out on the Peninsula, but my question is whether there is any truth to these rumors, or if anyone on this board had ever hunted pig in WA? I am just curious as to whether I would be wasting my time poking around out there.

#367558 - 08/08/07 03:42 PM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: neudl]
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
I have hunted that area for years for deer and elk and never saw a pig or even a sign of a pig. I did hear some were shot, but never first hand. It was always a friend of a friend of a friend. I would love to hunt pigs. I have been looking into it in Ore and Cali. But as far as I know there are no areas to hunt feral hogs in WA.

#367563 - 08/08/07 04:16 PM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: Big Jim]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#367575 - 08/08/07 05:33 PM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: Todd]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Good luck even finding onne. They're very elusive.

#367577 - 08/08/07 06:03 PM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: Irie]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
there was some postings on here last year, I think it was, about this. Type 'pigs' in the seach window on the upper right and maybe it will pop up.

#367605 - 08/08/07 08:05 PM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: Chuck E]
riverswild Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: OlyWa
There are some on the OP but not in huntable numbers. I saw one North of Quinault about 6 years ago and talked the the Parkies who said there were a few every now and then.

I would look to Hawaii for huntable numbers.

Good luck

#368224 - 08/13/07 09:55 AM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: riverswild]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
I put 20+ years in that area cutting timber and never once seen a pig or sign of one..

#368295 - 08/13/07 03:13 PM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: Timber]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I saw one once. Not a big one.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#368494 - 08/14/07 09:36 AM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: Timber]
riverswild Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Timber
I put 20+ years in that area cutting timber and never once seen a pig or sign of one..

I hear ya, I have been hunting up there for almost 20 years and have yet to see a cougar..

#368561 - 08/14/07 01:23 PM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: riverswild]
Satan Offline
I love me

Loc: Around the way
California is loaded with them.

#368601 - 08/14/07 03:38 PM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: Satan]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Forget the pigs, in Neah Bay there are wild beef cows -or at least there used to be. My brother-in-law says he remembers his grandpa going out hunting for them. He said he thinks there are still some running around up there. Surprisingly, like wild pigs, they are supposed to be quite a challenge to hunt. Very elusive and actually fairly dangerous.

#368692 - 08/14/07 09:49 PM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: Satan]
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Poulsbo
 Originally Posted By: avid angler

From Santa Barbara to San Francisco, There are some big bastards. From what I hear, they have moved into the Crecent City area also.

http://www.madrivermanufacturing.com/swstore1.htm

Jigs, injection molded worms made in the USA

#368770 - 08/15/07 03:51 AM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: Krijack]
Addicted Offline
Rico Suave

Loc: Whidbey Island
 Originally Posted By: Krijack
Forget the pigs, in Neah Bay there are wild beef cows -or at least there used to be. My brother-in-law says he remembers his grandpa going out hunting for them. He said he thinks there are still some running around up there. Surprisingly, like wild pigs, they are supposed to be quite a challenge to hunt. Very elusive and actually fairly dangerous.

Here on the island, there were reports of someones calves getting out and never recovered. Then, there were reports of wierd animal siting and causing car accidents here on the south end. Turns out, it was the calves turned cows, turned wild. They were very elusive. People tried to place feed out to get them. My buddy ended up getting two by waiting in hiding on the edge of a field next to 100+ acres of woods where there had been some sitings, hunting for cows, funny but true.

#368785 - 08/15/07 09:40 AM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: Addicted]
riverswild Offline
Returning Adult

Used to be lots of wild cows on the Oly Pen., probably still are.

#368818 - 08/15/07 12:36 PM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: riverswild]
TBJ Offline
Carcass

Loc: Bainbridge Island
In Florida they hunt them with pit bulls and pocket knives. Oh... and lots of budweiser. They sure are tasty though.

#369075 - 08/16/07 04:31 AM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: Jason Y]
Satan Offline
I love me

Loc: Around the way
 Originally Posted By: tunaklr
 Originally Posted By: avid angler

From Santa Barbara to San Francisco, There are some big bastards. From what I hear, they have moved into the Crecent City area also.

I grew up in Central California. In S. Monterey County you can get all you want.

#369504 - 08/17/07 11:41 PM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: Satan]
Queets guy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: port orchard, WA
I spend quite a bit of my time walking around the OP and also havnt ever seen a sign of one. But I did think Id see one road killed on the dirt road as if you were cresting the divide in which seperates the Satsop from the Whynoochee but my dad wouldnt slow down to look. Oh well probley wasnt a pig anyways. Another time there was a picture in the Matlock store/gas station place there was a picture of a guy holding up a huge hog claiming in which to be shot up by the 7400 Line in those big clearcuts along the Whynoochee. After years of believing it to be true I had went up to the lady working there and asked her where the picture of the wild hog shot around there went. There was a small pause of silence and then she started laughing at me saying, "You thought that was real". I couldnt believe it, all those years. It turns out it was a farmer who had shot his pig for the butcher and put up a picture of himself holding it up like a trophy to make non resident people like me believe it. I still am upset about it.

Jake

#369505 - 08/17/07 11:55 PM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: Queets guy]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
I lived in Bellingham in the '70's and heard a story about 12 or so Scottish Highlanders being loose in an brushy, wooden area by Glacier. The yarn went that the Forest Service told the owner to do something about them or the feds would and bill him. So he rounded up some hunters to shoot them. The cattle were wily and mean in the brush and the hunters had a tough time hunting them all down.
Don't know if it's true or not.

#369506 - 08/18/07 12:00 AM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: Chuck E]
Queets guy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: port orchard, WA
Have anybody seen that article in STS where they did a short story on that crazy guy who lived up in the Satsop/Whynoochee drainige. I guess he had shot everyone who had came within his homestead (which was like a shack made of logs) even his cousins. He had tethered bull frogs around his camp and when they croaked he knew there was an intruder. Eventually he was killed by two ex-military soldiars but he ended up kiling a bunch of people.

Jake

#369522 - 08/18/07 08:35 AM Re: Wild Pigs [Re: Queets guy]
riverswild Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Queets guy
Have anybody seen that article in STS where they did a short story on that crazy guy who lived up in the Satsop/Whynoochee drainige. I guess he had shot everyone who had came within his homestead (which was like a shack made of logs) even his cousins. He had tethered bull frogs around his camp and when they croaked he knew there was an intruder. Eventually he was killed by two ex-military soldiars but he ended up kiling a bunch of people.

Jake

There are a couple books and a ton of short stories about the wild man of the wynoochee. He accidentally killed his two cousins, then went on the run. I can't remember how many people he actually killed, but some were enforcement officers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
ET, kbrain57, OLYBEAV
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 494 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |