Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#375720 - 09/19/07 03:02 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I got somethin' you can test for hardness and penetration riiiiiiiight here.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#375722 - 09/19/07 03:12 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: Dan S.]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Classic.

#375725 - 09/19/07 03:24 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: DiverX]
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
 Originally Posted By: DiverX
 Originally Posted By: Sol
Do you guys want to talk about Young's modulus and the stress/strain relationship for isotropic materials?

Talk about scared for life.

My strength of materials is rusty, but I can roll with ya, Sol.

We can break out the bending moments of inertia and start writing out the equations for bending while we're at it. ;\)

Well, in the end you would need Duk Yong Kim ( phd, went to school for 3 more years than you dId and had a 4.0 GPA , never partied, has zero sense of humor and drives a Honda Accord even though he makes 120,000 a year) double check your work..

However, Edward Demming is a God to me.

Edited by B-RUN STEELY (09/19/07 03:30 PM)

#375729 - 09/19/07 03:38 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: DiverX]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
 Originally Posted By: DiverX
Close, Sol.

A hook almost never hits a fish perpendicular to the axis of the hook point. The cutting edge of the Owners uses the force not in the direction of penetration to cut the fish and help the hook get to the point where the fish is pulling against the bend.

Here is a picture to help explain.

F is the overall hooksetting force. It can only be in the direction of the line connected to it as the line has no stiffness.

Fp is the penetrating force to which Sol refers.
FN is the force perpendicular to the penetrating force.

Since force has a magnitude and direction, FN > zero if F is not in the same direction as FP. A cutting hooks uses FN to cut into the fish. For a conical hook, FN just translates into resistance to hook penetration in the form of friction.

Any questions?

Diver, had this conversation come up while we were fishing this summer only one of us would have made it back to the dock. ;\)

#375732 - 09/19/07 03:41 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: wntrrn]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Hey, at least the dude (DiverX) is bang on with his grasp of the physics behind this issue.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#375734 - 09/19/07 03:56 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: wntrrn]
DiverX Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton
 Originally Posted By: wntrrn
Diver, had this conversation come up while we were fishing this summer only one of us would have made it back to the dock. ;\)

That hurts my feelings. Here's the equation that shows how my feeling are hurt...

#375736 - 09/19/07 04:09 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: DiverX]
One Way Offline
Call me Sir

Loc: San Rafael, Ca. & Whidbey Isla...
Time for this thread to evaporate.

#375737 - 09/19/07 04:10 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: DiverX]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Fp=Fcos(theta) \:\)

Please, God, make it stop.

#375744 - 09/19/07 04:49 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: ]
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
I've had lots of vision hooks bend out on me. Gami's too. I think it has something to do with trees being stronger than the hook.

Or the friquin granite grouper refusing to budge. That will straighten even a OWNER.

http://www.madrivermanufacturing.com/swstore1.htm

Jigs, injection molded worms made in the USA

#375748 - 09/19/07 05:06 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: ]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: stam
Now that we've decided that the cutting point hooks cut in easier, we can move on to the fact that they are also cutting all the time you are playing that fish until it finally cuts loose.

Seems to me this Owner cutting point didn't "cut loose" on ya, stam.

click here if pic does not display

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#375754 - 09/19/07 05:44 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: ]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

It helps if you don't rip a vagina sized hole when you set the hook young man.

#375761 - 09/19/07 06:05 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: ]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Since you put it that way...hmmmmm, the next time I look at that ripped out hole in a fish's lip I just may get aroused ;\)

Must be somethin' in that Enumclaw water that stimulates animal attraction.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#375762 - 09/19/07 06:07 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: eyeFISH]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
 Originally Posted By: fishNphysician

Since you put it that way...hmmmmm, the next time I look at that ripped out hole in a fish's lip I just may get aroused ;\)

FNP, you just beat a bunch of us to that one..

#375763 - 09/19/07 06:09 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: wntrrn]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: wntrrn
 Originally Posted By: fishNphysician

FNP, you just beat a bunch of us to that one..

Just barely....

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#375767 - 09/19/07 06:22 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: Sol]
stever in everett Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, WA USA
Speaking from 45 years of fishing experience here the cost of the hook shouldn't matter when you are fishing just as the cost of the booze shouldn't matter when you are drinking. Buy the best you can afford of both. On a bad day of fishing and you hang up a lot you might be out $20 on hooks for a chance to catch a fish. Are you going to save $10 and risk not landing a fish due to cheap tackel? If you are fishing springers and you loose a fish due to a bad hook was it worth the money you saved? The cost of your tackel is usually little compared to everything else. Personal testing done while fishing puts Owner Cutting point at the top followed by Gamis in octopus style hooks. Gamis 510 are on all my plugs and most of my jigs are on Ganmi 2X. Vince have at it but I'll still use what I am using until something better comes along.

#375770 - 09/19/07 06:29 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: Sol]
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Sol
Thicker wire means bigger cross-sectional area, Vince, which minimizes the pressure and reduces penitration. Same reason it's easier to set a barbless hook over one with a barb. As the hook penitrates the area breaking the surface increases. You can read this shi% and still not understand the dynamics of what is happening. Think about it.

I wasn't clear when I wrote "Wouldn't a hook perform better, i.e. have superior penetration AND maintain the integrity of the hook bend (not open up) if the wire diameter would thicken where the stress is greatest during the fight? "

What I was asking was if the wire was of different diameter at different points, would it help the solve the problem of balancing penetration versus hook strength. The area of a hook bend where the deformation occurs seems to be far enough up the bend (say about midpoint of the hook bend, up to where it meets the shank) that any additional thickness shouldn't interfere with penetration.

I was following the discussion just fine. I just wanted to restate my question so it was clear.

I'm glad that not every thread gets as nasty as this one. The wife won't post on here because she's afraid to ask questions and then have someone call her stupid for asking. As it goes, my skin is not much thicker than hers.

VHawk

#375771 - 09/19/07 06:36 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: VHawk.]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
 Originally Posted By: VHawk
The wife won't post on here because she's afraid to ask questions and then have someone call her stupid for asking. As it goes, my skin is not much thicker than hers.

VHawk

I can't recall her ever aksing a question and someone calling her stupid?
I think if you ask stupid questions, expect stupid responses.
If you ask good questions, expect good responses, and at least a couple stupid ones, at least here anyways \:\) That's the internet for ya....
I'd rather test the knowledge here over any other site, anyday.

#375773 - 09/19/07 06:36 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: VHawk.]
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Vince, you got skin like an Alligator. Never say otherwise. The vast majority of this B.S is just funnin ya, some food for thought is included along the way.

#375776 - 09/19/07 06:52 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

I wasn't rippin' on ya, Vince. I sat though many a class over at the UW thinking I knew what the prof was scratching on the chalk board only to find out at test time I had no fuc%ing idea what he was talking about. That's what I ment.

#375795 - 09/19/07 08:08 PM Re: Hook Testing, ideas [Re: Sol]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
"What I was asking was if the wire was of different diameter at different points, would it help the solve the problem of balancing penetration versus hook strength. The area of a hook bend where the deformation occurs seems to be far enough up the bend (say about midpoint of the hook bend, up to where it meets the shank) that any additional thickness shouldn't interfere with penetration."

It might not interfere with the penetration, but it would surely just move the "weakest part" of the hook to another location...not remove it...

For instance, if the weakest point is on the bend of the hook, it may deform quite a bit before failing...if you remove that weak point, making say, the point the weakest link, it may actually fail sooner than if there were a weaker point on the bend.

Perhaps this is too obvious, but at what pounds of pull the hook fails at may not be nearly as important as where it finally fails...a flexing or bending hook bend may actually work to keep a fish hooked, whereas a stiff bend may actually cause the failure somewhere else on the hook...again, too many variables to test in the lab, IMHO.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1351 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |