Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#377794 - 09/28/07 12:53 PM Dead bull
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Had a buddy stop by yesterday afternoon and tell me he had just shot and lost an elk with his bow. We had enough daylight so I talked him into going up and looking some more as he was certain it was a good hit. He was every kind of bummed because he was sure it was lost

We got to where he took the shot and I'm looking down the hill and I can see the thing laying about 20 yards to the left of where he shot it. Dude walked right past it 3 or 4 times, and how he didn't see it is beyond me. Oh well, long to short it was a very decent 5x6, and kind of an easy pack out. I'm thinkin maybe 330 class or so. I told him " the reason you could not find a blood trail is because it didn't go anywhere"... Kinda cool driving thru Weiser with a big rack in the truck. I didn't take my camera, but he did so I'll post a pic.

#377796 - 09/28/07 01:02 PM Re: Dead bull [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
washingtonmuley Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: port angeles
Right on!!!!!! It is that time of year. The count down is on for the muzzleloader opener.

#377798 - 09/28/07 01:04 PM Re: Dead bull [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
That's a big bull. Looking fwd to the pics.

#377803 - 09/28/07 01:18 PM Re: Dead bull [Re: seastrike]
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Get this. He had just sat down to eat an apple, blew on his cow call a couple times just because and was just sitting and spacing out, and the thing just walked out of some trees and just stood there looking at him while he picked up his bow, knocked an arrow, and shot him. I've never had an easy one like that. Seems I have to beat the crap out of myself in some hell hole first. he was less than a mile from his truck.

#377809 - 09/28/07 01:28 PM Re: Dead bull [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
He couldn't find it until you came to help him. HMMM very good ploy on his part for help on a pack-out.

I've been duped by one like that before. "Dude, I need your boat to get to this elk I shot", we get there, drag my dinghy down a big hill, row across a little pond, and "find out" that 20 yards away is an old beaver dam we can easily walk across. I help him for hours dragging it out of the hole, and then I had to drag my boat out.

#377810 - 09/28/07 01:30 PM Re: Dead bull [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
I shot a spike two years ago at 11 paces. Granted I'd been hunting hard for 5 days before that happened and I was 2500 ft above camp but we had horses so no biggy there.
I had a cow come wondering by while I was taking a break. A couple of minutes later the spike came trotting by on her trail and game over.
The way I look at it is we put in a ton of effort. Every once in a while animals just decide to behave. It makes up for those 7 hour stalks and hours of glassing. That said I do think the sweetest animals I've gotten were the ones I saw at dawn through the binos and then killed at dusk after an all day assault mission.

#377813 - 09/28/07 01:45 PM Re: Dead bull [Re: seastrike]
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

No, he was bummed. He was sure it was lost. When we get there he says " it took off that way through those trees"... I told him "not possible.. cause its laying right there you knob".. in the exact opposite direction he thought it went. I think he might have been a tad wound up.

#377894 - 09/28/07 07:42 PM Re: Dead bull [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
r2fishn Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: tacoma
He proly just wanted you to help him pack it out

#378008 - 09/29/07 06:58 PM Re: Dead bull [Re: r2fishn]
meat pie Offline
Parr

Loc: The River
I lost my elk this year unfortunatly. A really nice 7x7 I've must of put in atleast 18hrs so far searching for it. It also had no blood trail. I've combed the area with 2 of my friends. I saw the arrow stick from 40 yards away it didn't scatter and break down every tree in its path, it just stuck with another Bull that it was with. I hit it a little high about a foot 1/2 behind the shoulder blade above the stomach. I used 220 grain arrows and thunder head broad heads. NO BLOOD!! I've put in so much time and can't find any sign. My caller /spotter for some reason was not paying attention when I took the shot (I still to this day don't understand why). I had 3 other Bulls bunched up at that time when I took the shot they scattered in every direction so finding prints took me every where. Has anyone took a shot like this and had similar results, I don't understand. Please no shots at myself, I feel really horriable about it. Any advise on how to prevent this from happening would be great. The shot was definatly not a Hail Mary It was pretty close to perfect when I took it. I understand every situation is different but maybe another persons story may lead me to my Elk that has most likely started decomposing in the woods. Or hopefully living. I still want to find it because it sure was big.
7x7 are typically massive but this one was in a league of its own.

Thanks.

#378025 - 09/29/07 09:18 PM Re: Dead bull [Re: meat pie]
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Poulsbo
 Originally Posted By: meat pie
I lost my elk this year unfortunatly. A really nice 7x7 I've must of put in atleast 18hrs so far searching for it. It also had no blood trail. I've combed the area with 2 of my friends. I saw the arrow stick from 40 yards away it didn't scatter and break down every tree in its path, it just stuck with another Bull that it was with. I hit it a little high about a foot 1/2 behind the shoulder blade above the stomach. I used 220 grain arrows and thunder head broad heads. NO BLOOD!! I've put in so much time and can't find any sign. My caller /spotter for some reason was not paying attention when I took the shot (I still to this day don't understand why). I had 3 other Bulls bunched up at that time when I took the shot they scattered in every direction so finding prints took me every where. Has anyone took a shot like this and had similar results, I don't understand. Please no shots at myself, I feel really horriable about it. Any advise on how to prevent this from happening would be great. The shot was definatly not a Hail Mary It was pretty close to perfect when I took it. I understand every situation is different but maybe another persons story may lead me to my Elk that has most likely started decomposing in the woods. Or hopefully living. I still want to find it because it sure was big.
7x7 are typically massive but this one was in a league of its own.

Thanks.

However Its terrible to hear about this. What unit? and are you still looking? If you are on the westside I would be willing to help.

Anyway I found a dead 5x4 mulie a archer lost in CA X3A. The thing was a beast 26 inches wide. I was washing my knife in a little spring and looked over and saw a dead deer under a fir tree.

Also, One of the guys I work with shot (rifle) a 5x6 elk in colorodo with a arrow hanging out of it. Looked like it had been there for weeks.

Its possible you didn't kill it. IE that it has a injury that it can/will recover from.

JY

Edited by tunaklr (09/29/07 09:31 PM)

http://www.madrivermanufacturing.com/swstore1.htm

Jigs, injection molded worms made in the USA

#378053 - 09/29/07 11:18 PM Re: Dead bull [Re: Jason Y]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Buddy of mine shot a 5x5 last year during rifle season. Due to the fact it was an average 5x5 he decided to skin the head and do a european mount. After skinning the head and working the meat off the check bones he noticed something wierd. Right below the eye there is a gland and there was a broadhead and about 4" of arrow that was lodged in there in which the skin had healed over... I guess the broadhead was in at such an angle it was touching the esophogus but didn't puncture it...

He now has the european mount in his room with the arrow still in the head cavity.

Keith

#378108 - 09/30/07 12:08 PM Re: Dead bull [Re: stlhdr1]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
meat- if you were too high you can miss the vitals even with a decent shot. My dad hit one hit in NM 2 years ago that atleast gave us a decent blood trail but was hit high. I guess there is a dead zone there below the spine and above the lungs and heart. The guys we talked to down there said that almost every bull they shoot has either broadheads or balls in it from the blackpowder season which is pretty sad.
good luck finding him, but my guess is that if by this point you have not found him, and you havent found where the ravens have found him, he is still living and out there somewhere.

#378167 - 09/30/07 08:25 PM Re: Dead bull [Re: D3Smartie]
meat pie Offline
Parr

Thanks for everyone advise, and offering to help trying to find it. I've actually given up. I've made 4 different trips with a few trustworthy friends and my wife who could of strangled me with all the cliffs and ledges she had to climb just to get my hunting spot. Maybe I'll find the remains someday I'm pretty sure the cats and ravens have feasted on it since. I can't stand walking through those woods alone in the dark. Cat prints everywhere and everytime I turn my head I've spotted another burrow. I'm thinking of doing some Killing to support my Elk population. ( I wonder if it would help). I'm off to fishing now and would like to know if there are Kings on the OP yet. I going stir crazy at home I lost my job on the 21st. All the Job searching, Unemployment crap, pressure from everyone has got me feeling kind of @#$#y. Nothing better to clear my mind with some good Fall king Action so I can return with at least a couple nice filets and a clear head. I now this is a hunting forum but does hunting for Chantrelle mushrooms count. Does anyone have any insight of fresh crops on the OP give me a little insight. I just need to know an area.

#378174 - 09/30/07 09:47 PM Re: Dead bull [Re: meat pie]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
mushrooms have been going well on the O.P. with this rain it should explode. go check out the rivers when they drop into shape... catch some fish, pick some chantrells and feel better man. if you didnt find any signs of a dead animal there is a good chance he is still out there. It haunts you but as much as we all hate it, it does happen.

#378204 - 09/30/07 11:54 PM Re: Dead bull [Re: D3Smartie]
meat pie Offline
Parr

Thanks

#379817 - 10/09/07 04:18 PM Re: Dead bull [Re: Jason Y]
Griiz Offline
Fry

Loc: Puget Sound Washington
2 years ago I shot a bull dead center through the spine about 3-4 inches below the head @ 75 yards with my muzzleloader and it ran off like it hadn't been hit. There was lots of blood. An hour later and close to a mile of tracking I got another slug into it. When it fell over its neck broke where my first shot hit it. They are tough animals.

#380027 - 10/10/07 11:50 AM Re: Dead bull [Re: Griiz]
Salmonella Offline
Repeat Spawner

Buddy of mine shot a monster Arizona bull with his bow.
Had a healed over broadhead on the outside ribcage just under the skin.
Tough animals indeed.

#380037 - 10/10/07 12:13 PM Re: Dead bull [Re: Salmonella]
fishmaster Offline
Spawner

Loc: Rowers Seat
several years ago I was bow hunting a drainage and ran across a 4 point in the bottom. I got one shot off and missed. I then realized when it tried to run off something was drastically wrong with it! I could keep up with the elk. It made a big loop crossed a creek up the other side near a skid road and stopped broadside. I double lunged it at 40 yds. Watched it run 30-50 yds and fall over.

While examining the bull I noticed it had both left side legs broken at the knee. And while gutting it we found this huge puss pocket on the right rear quarter that had either a rifle of muzzleloader slug in it. Ended up tossing the hole hind quarter. I can only imagine how he got all of those injuries. Endless possibilities!!

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |