Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#378781 - 10/03/07 08:14 PM ? electric knife sharpener
escapee Offline
Spawner

Loc: Marysville, Wa., USA
What is good electric knife sharpener that won't ruin a knife? I use a large comercial style triple stone for myself. every few months my dad brings over a handful of his horribly dull knives and wants me fix them up. I was thinking a good electric sharpener would be a good christmas gift for him. Needs to be pretty much foolproof. I've worked in butcher shops that had knives that were sharpened by some kind of sharpening service, obviously done on some kind of grinder or machine or something that were plenty sharp. The guys in there didn't know how it was done though.

#378782 - 10/03/07 08:23 PM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: escapee]
Haliman Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Wa., Kitsap
Costco sells a pretty good knife sharpener that is easy to operate and puts a nice edge on the knifes. I think its a majic chef, I do have an older model and it works ok for me.

That keep us from learning what we should know.

#378785 - 10/03/07 08:30 PM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: Haliman]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
If you worked in a butcher shop, than you already know that the only thing an electric sharpener will do is to remove a large amount of metal off of the existing blade. Usually reforms the edge in doing so.

From there, it usually takes some human intervention with either a stone or a steel(s) to hone the edge, etc.

I've got an electric sharpener from Le French. It's labeled "Cuisine De France. Sabatier."

It will reform any messed up blade. Takes off a ton of metal. But, for what it does, it does it well. I'd never run a good knife through it, but for your Dad, it would work.

It's not electric, but it is a kit. It's the Gatco "Edge-Mate Professional Knife Sharpening System."

Takes some human intervention, but it does work well. Again, I only use this on knives that need a new edge, etc. Although, it comes with various stones and can sharpen just about anything.

I've used butcher steels all my life. My Great Uncle was a butcher. I just don't damage my knives to the state where I have to re-define the edge. Just a few whacks on some steel(s) of various strengths and the knife is better than new.

#378796 - 10/03/07 09:20 PM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: The Moderator]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of Cooks Illustrated (sort of popular mechanics for cooking) and they did a fairly exhaustive review of the various knife sharpening options. In the end they recommended the Chefs Choice Edge Select (electric) among other things.

Clearly a few passes with a butcher steel is extremely useful as well.

#378800 - 10/03/07 09:49 PM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: IrishRogue]
landcruiserwilly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell
i've got a chef's choice and agree with what everyone's said. i made the mistake of buying henkels. they're not bad, but the steel is so hard that they're very hard to sharpen. like parker said, if you use the 1st stage, you're going to lose metal. the one i have is a 3 stage deal. i almost never use stage 1. i'll use stage 2 to create a burr, then take it off with the stage 3 thing (it's a diamond dust impregnated felt or something) then i touch it up with the smoothest stone i have. it's like unpolished glass. this edge will typically last 3 months or so, with frequent touch-up on the steel. it's been a good sharpener. they sell 'em in cabelas.

willy

#378817 - 10/03/07 11:34 PM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: landcruiserwilly]
Haliman Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Wa., Kitsap
In my previous post I said " I think its majic chef" well its not, after reading the last few post it is the Chef's Choice that is sold at Costco..It has 2 small sharpening grinders, one is made of some kind of stone and the other is a diamond impregnated stone. The guides are magnetic and hold the knife at the right angle making it pretty much fool proof. I believe it cost $69.00...

Good luck, Jerry

That keep us from learning what we should know.

#378827 - 10/04/07 12:18 AM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: Haliman]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

LCWilly,

Henckels knives are superb. They're only hard to sharpen if the edge hasn't been maintained regularly. I sharpen them in 4 stages, carborundum coarse, carborundum fine, Arkansas stone, and then hone them to razor edge with a very hard Arkansas stone. A few strokes on a steel every week keeps them ultra sharp for a year or more.

Parker,

I've got a Sabatier knife as well. It isn't stainless or particularly rust resistant, but it also takes a razor edge. I love that knife.

Sg

#378841 - 10/04/07 09:46 AM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: Salmo g.]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Escapee:

Chefs Choice....just works for me...They have 3 or 4 models:

320......About $100.00, has 2 "wheels"

120......About $139.00, has 3 "wheels"

130......About $149.00, has 3 wheels also.

Can be bought "on-line" for less.......bought the Model 120 on EBAY for $114.00 and that included shipping.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#378850 - 10/04/07 10:11 AM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: DrifterWA]
troller Offline
Spawner

Loc: Renton , WA
I have the chefs choice 120 and love it. I have only had to use the coarse wheel the first time on some of my older knifes. Now Just a couple passes thru the medium and a couple thru the fine and it is ready to fillet up a fish. I have spent hours sharpening knifes with stones and also own a gatco. But when I get home at 8pm after a day of fishing and have a bunch of salmon to fillet up it is nice to spend a minute and have my knife ready to go or to touch it up after a few have been filleted. I no longer spend alot of money on quality knifes, I tend to leave them in the boat and expose the to the salt, I just buy the commercial knifes and abuse them they are cheap anyway.

#378856 - 10/04/07 10:51 AM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: troller]
WalleyeWorld Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bonney Lake, Washington
Gotta go with the Chefs choice. I got the 120 a couple of years ago and love it. Like troller said I only had to use the course wheel on a few of the knives the first time. After that it is the fine wheel 1-2 passes on each side then the stroping wheel to put the razor edge on. Just take about 30 seconds for a knife.
Bret

#378864 - 10/04/07 11:29 AM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: WalleyeWorld]
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
There is no such thing as an electric knife sharpener that will not eventually ruin a knife, if it used constantly. They should only be used to put an edge on an abused knife. After that, I use 2000 grit autobody paper glued to glass with "3M" temporary spray on glue at 22' to keep the edge on my knives.
However, right now and until they run out of sharpeners, TUESDAY MORNING Stores have real good professional electric sharpener: MSRP:
$160.00, now $49.99, "Waring Pro".

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#378916 - 10/04/07 02:25 PM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: The Moderator]
goforchrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: sammamish WA
 Originally Posted By: parker
If you worked in a butcher shop, than you already know that the only thing an electric sharpener will do is to remove a large amount of metal off of the existing blade. Usually reforms the edge in doing so.

From there, it usually takes some human intervention with either a stone or a steel(s) to hone the edge, etc.

I've got an electric sharpener from Le French. It's labeled "Cuisine De France. Sabatier."

It will reform any messed up blade. Takes off a ton of metal. But, for what it does, it does it well. I'd never run a good knife through it, but for your Dad, it would work.

It's not electric, but it is a kit. It's the Gatco "Edge-Mate Professional Knife Sharpening System."

Takes some human intervention, but it does work well. Again, I only use this on knives that need a new edge, etc. Although, it comes with various stones and can sharpen just about anything.

I've used butcher steels all my life. My Great Uncle was a butcher. I just don't damage my knives to the state where I have to re-define the edge. Just a few whacks on some steel(s) of various strengths and the knife is better than new.

Ditto to everything.
I was so pissed after the Chef's Choice I received as a gift munched my Henkels knives, I went to Macy's and told them what I thought.

The lady working there said bring in the knives, we'll replace them, and they did!
New knives and they never get dull enough to need anything but a steel.
I did buy and Lansky system after watching TRBO use his on the boat and it works great for larger blades.
The Lansky does need a human touch.
Some grocery meat counters and hardware stores have sharpening service.
I'm pretty sure it's a mechanical like the Chef's Choice.
Good luck.

#378920 - 10/04/07 02:46 PM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: goforchrome]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
I didn't know you could sharpen them, I've alway's just bought new ones.

Edited by Bucket (10/04/07 02:48 PM)

#378934 - 10/04/07 04:13 PM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
 Originally Posted By: Bucket
I didn't know you could sharpen them, I've alway's just bought new ones.

Exactly!

Much like fishing rods. Use once, buy a new a new one for the next time out!

#378942 - 10/04/07 04:55 PM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: The Moderator]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

You guys are allowed to have knives?

#378952 - 10/04/07 05:44 PM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: stlhead]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
 Originally Posted By: stlhead
You guys are allowed to have knives?

My momma passed away 10yrs ago, I've had lot's of knive's ever since.

#378960 - 10/04/07 06:35 PM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Chef's choice 120 works well for my fillet knife sharpening.I take it with me on those 2-3 day bottom fishin trips.It's never failed me,but you can't put lots of pressure on them either.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

Let'em eat it,It's there last meal.

#378990 - 10/04/07 09:55 PM Re: ? electric knife sharpener [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Salmo_Gairdneri Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Snohomish
Chef's choice for the steeper-edged german blades, but you need something with a shallower angle to get the best out of the japanese blades and fillet knives. Shun make a nice electric model for the latter.

http://www.amazon.com/kershaw-AP119-Kers...91549199&sr=1-3

The chef's choice is awesome for steeper-edged german blades.

-t

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (fp), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |