Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#381756 - 10/17/07 12:13 AM colockum?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i need some directions on where to hunt up there. please?

i keep hearing geat reports from that area. i know where colockum is, but i dont know where to hunt up there.

thanks alot.

directions needed asap if possible. would like to go tomarrow or thursday.

thanks

#381789 - 10/17/07 01:48 AM Re: colockum? [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

no one can give me some directions on where to hunt up there?

#381800 - 10/17/07 03:24 AM Re: colockum? [Re: ]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
where ever you can find a parking spot. last time I was in there it was a zoo.

#381926 - 10/17/07 04:29 PM Re: colockum? [Re: Achewter]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
get as far away from the other people as you can...

#385003 - 10/29/07 11:26 PM Re: colockum? [Re: D3Smartie]
ProfessorG Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Central Washington
If you are still looking to go up there for Elk, give me a PM. I can get you into the right area. But it is a 4x4 only area.

#385013 - 10/29/07 11:39 PM Re: colockum? [Re: ProfessorG]
deerslayer
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: ProfessorG
If you are still looking to go up there for Elk, give me a PM. I can get you into the right area. But it is a 4x4 only area.

im archery hunting elk...and isnt it spike only over there? i seen a bunch of elk over there. 3 herds of about 30-40 with a few spikes mixed in.

i wish it was anterless cause my season would be over in a few minutes hunting that area. there are way to many elk up there.

#385015 - 10/29/07 11:42 PM Re: colockum? [Re: ]
ProfessorG Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Central Washington
True. With all those elk comes everyone and their dog. I decided to do modern firearm this year. I was luck enough to seal the deal within a day. Then it took another practically to get the dame thing out. Oh well, lots of meat for the freezer. maybe I should get a bigger freezer.

Have you given any thought to hunting a little south of there. Say around White pass. There are a lot of elk there as well, but I am not sure as to the archer regs.

#385018 - 10/29/07 11:52 PM Re: colockum? [Re: ProfessorG]
deerslayer
Unregistered

sending you a pm professerg

#385101 - 10/30/07 01:36 PM Re: colockum? [Re: ]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
I quit hunting there 15 years ago because it was a circus. Cow elk foaming at the mouth running by with 4 arrows sticking out, dudes plowing though the pole pine thickets in blitzkrieg fashion with head-sets on talking to their buddies, etc. I can't even imagine it today.

#385186 - 10/30/07 07:44 PM Re: colockum? [Re: Sol]
deerslayer
Unregistered

SOL i know what you are talking about.

this year up at taneum cr i seen 9 hunters within a 500yard area, thats not including the 7 guys that i was with hunting that same little area.

the places close to i-90 have become a big joke for the most part the last 5 years.

#385195 - 10/30/07 08:08 PM Re: colockum? [Re: ]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
The last time I hunted the Colockum I was standing in a thicket watching a cow run toward me with an arrow in her ass. It was opening morning but I was only there for the weekend and I felt sorry for the cow, so I thought, what the hell, I'll put her down and tag out. She runs by me at a trot about 7 yards away and when she was quartering away I let fly, sight unseen. Should have been a heart shot, but she was so spun up from running wounded and bouncing off hunters that she jumped the string by striding to a gallop and my arrow slapped the other arrow as it burried in her ass. I was so pissed. I did the best I could to trail her but she was cruisin'. Last I saw she was headed down into the reserve on the Wenachee side of the hill.

I quit hunting the unit after that.

#385203 - 10/30/07 08:41 PM Re: colockum? [Re: Sol]
deerslayer
Unregistered

thats a bummer.

i shot a cow opening day last year, tracked her for 400plus yards, about 5 hours maybe. and lost the blood trail.

i told a group of guys about it and where she was headed, sure enough a few days later i found her dead, half my arrow still in her. and the rear quater of her cutt off. and a 100ft rope laying next to her.

it sucks but that kind of stuff happens.

#385380 - 10/31/07 11:20 AM Re: colockum? [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Another reason to go AHE. It gets you out of the crowds.

Hunt smarter, not harder.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#385420 - 10/31/07 02:14 PM Re: colockum? [Re: Dogfish]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Sol,
The spike only regs has really shut down the number of hunters, at least where I have been trying to bow hunt. The elk numbers are way up where I am hunting, but I guess are down area wide. In any case, I have never seen another archer while in the field, and may see only 2 or 3 different rigs in my entire area. I accessed the area with my car last year (so it isn't like it is hard to get to) and I have seen elk every day, all within 10 minute of the road. Problem is, it is spike only. Multiple herds, lot of cows, a few good bulls, and maybe, maybe one spike seen. I should look up the numbers because I doubt the archers are getting many, if any, unless they have any any bull tag. Great place to hunt now, but harvesting one is a different story.

Deer slayer,
I have seen elk on every open road going out of ellensburg into the Naneum.
I was runnning into too many hunters in the Manatash area one year, so I decided to head over there for a day hunt. I just headed up the first road I found and found elk all over. I have explored a little, but since I found large numbers why keep looking around. Nothing special there, during archery season they are everywhere. Probably a little more scare during rifle season. There are lots of gun hunters so I would try to find an area that leads into one of the many closed off canyons and set up there waiting for something trying to escape. Other than that be prepared to hike a couple of miles down into one of those canyons.
During deer season two years ago I couldn't walk more than a few minutes without running into someone. Tried the road closures only to still see quads. I heard it may be worse during rifle elk.
Good luck.

#385727 - 11/01/07 05:29 PM Re: colockum? [Re: Krijack]
Moe the Sleaze Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: The Boardwalk, on the way to S...
I also have questions about the spike-only regs, not specifically in the Colockum, but in all of Eastern Washington. As you all probably know, eastern Washington areas are generally spike-only, while western Washington areas are mostly 3-point or better. Does anyone know why it's set up this way? I seem to remember WDFW setting them up differently as a sort of "experiment". What was that, 20 yrs ago?

Well the results should be showing themselves now shouldn't they? Please weigh in with your opinions, especially if you've hunted both sides of the state.

I hunt muzzleloader on the Yakima herd. For 10 years now, all I have seen is either cows or branch-antler bulls. I only feel I have a chance if I draw a permit. I'm curious as to what WDFW figures is the number of spikes. What is the non-permit success rate? If the birth rate is 50/50 male/female it stands to reason that there should be quite a few one-year old spikes each year. Where are they all?

I'm about ready to go back to hunting the Matheny/Clearwater I think!

And why are we seeing quads on closed roads??? Is a road closed only to the vehicles that can't get around the gate???

Sign me,
Frustrated!

#385743 - 11/01/07 06:10 PM Re: colockum? [Re: Moe the Sleaze]
deerslayer
Unregistered

i seen alot of spikes the other day up on colockum. maybe 4 or 5 out of 3 herds.

kinda lept it hush hush but oh well. i dont care if the rifle guys see them they will be more then likely dead.

but yeah i hunted up there 1 day for deer and man oh man did i see alot of elk. it was insane.

only if i could get up there for archery late season. then i would be set...

and btw what unit is colockum? thanks.

#385809 - 11/01/07 11:37 PM Re: colockum? [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

You need to hunt the west side of the colockum road for deer unless you have a special permit. The west side of the road is 328 Naenum. The east side of the road is 329 Quilomene. This is good up to the top of the pass, pretty much.

The Quilomene unit is special permit only for deer in ALL deer seasons. Open only for spike elk during archery and modern rifle season, unless you have a tag.

You REALLY need to research where you plan to hunt before you hunt, or you could get yourself in trouble. Get a Gazetteer, a highlighter, a beer, and some regs. Looks like you need to do some homework prior to your next trip in the field.

#385817 - 11/02/07 12:20 AM Re: colockum? [Re: Dogfish]
deerslayer
Unregistered

oh i know. i was west of the colockum road when i was up there. i was gonna head up that way but i didnt know the area. so i headed to where i was recomended to go. so i at least had a little idea where to hunt.

and that is why i asked the unit. cause i couldnt figure it out by looking at the regs and reading the description of the units in that area. i dont have a map to know road names of that area and my computer is way to slow to load up any maps of the area up there.

trust me i have tried i can barely open up this forum lol

i also went up to REI to get some topo maps but the people who work there are ignorent and complete arses. well at least the 2 guys i talked to. i could tell they didnt want to help me.

i gues i should have told them i was hiking and not hunting.

#385821 - 11/02/07 12:39 AM Re: colockum? [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Get a Washington Atlas and Gazetteer. Go over the boundary descriptions and mark your Gazetteer to show the units. $20 book of maps, but well worth the investment. Most bookstores will carry them.

#385822 - 11/02/07 12:44 AM Re: colockum? [Re: Dogfish]
deerslayer
Unregistered

yeah i hear ya on that. i will have to get out and do that before late archery elk season.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |