LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#391147 - 11/26/07 12:37 PM Open duck hunting spot.
ProfessorG Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Central Washington
Hey all. I am looking to duck hunt the Satus area on Saturday, and possibly sunday (depending on how the hunting is on Sat.) Right now it looks like it will be just me. Anyone interested.

#391161 - 11/26/07 01:26 PM Re: Open duck hunting spot. [Re: ProfessorG]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
just so you know there were very very few ducks down there the past few days. personally i would head for Paterson or Tri-cities

#391163 - 11/26/07 01:30 PM Re: Open duck hunting spot. [Re: D3Smartie]
ProfessorG Offline
Returning Adult

Patterson and Tri-Cities have been really slow as well. A couple birds a day have been the norm, which is not worth the gas to drive down there. Half hour sure beats hour and a half on the pocket.

#391239 - 11/26/07 04:20 PM Re: Open duck hunting spot. [Re: ProfessorG]
D3Smartie Offline

well i will tell you that from what i saw over the past 5 days i would hunt bigger water and that there are not many ducks in huntable areas of the yakima valley. A lot of new birds had shown up on wednesday and thursday from what i saw over by othello and i know guys that shot limits on the Columbia... just my .02

#391852 - 11/28/07 01:11 PM Re: Open duck hunting spot. [Re: D3Smartie]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Snow coming over eastern wa today and tommorow. Hit the open water next feed fields.

ProG - If you have a good dog then down on the yakima river is where you should try. I used to do real well there when things froze up or snow cover. If you dont have a dog to get out there fast enough you will loose a lot of birds. Slippery rocks, so be careful.

Hey smartie is any of the water freezing up yet aroung mosey, winchester wasteway, frencman hills wasteway?

j7 2012

#391854 - 11/28/07 01:24 PM Re: Open duck hunting spot. [Re: j 7]
D3Smartie Offline

j7- yeah... almost all of the small water is frozen up that way. Ice in the bays on the big stuff... all my spots up there are iced up.

#391863 - 11/28/07 01:52 PM Re: Open duck hunting spot. [Re: D3Smartie]
ProfessorG Offline
Returning Adult

I spent the last two mornings up in the basin. Had three limits early yesterday, and well I am home already today with limits. Needless to say I think that I found the birds. Or maybe its the new full curl decoys that I just bought. Could it be both?

#391864 - 11/28/07 01:58 PM Re: Open duck hunting spot. [Re: ProfessorG]
D3Smartie Offline

nice going...
I am going with finding the birds over the full curls.

#391866 - 11/28/07 02:01 PM Re: Open duck hunting spot. [Re: D3Smartie]
ProfessorG Offline
Returning Adult

Your probably right. I do know that we hunted this same area last weekend with around 6 doz decoys and had limited success. The last two days we have cut it down to 18 decoys and have been bangin. With the middle of the season lull upon us, it is time to cut back on numbers and increase on quality of decoys. At least that's my .2

#391868 - 11/28/07 02:05 PM Re: Open duck hunting spot. [Re: ProfessorG]
D3Smartie Offline

i normally hunt over 18-30 decoys. 6 doz is quite the chore to pick up. We really never run that many unless we are at Mcnary or something and everyone takes 2 doz apiece.
I would say that the lull this season has been up to the last week. seems to me that we never got that first push of Nov birds this year until about the middle of last week.

#391871 - 11/28/07 02:08 PM Re: Open duck hunting spot. [Re: D3Smartie]
ProfessorG Offline
Returning Adult

They never got the snow up north. I have some contact up north of the boarder that really put a wackin on the birds until the last couple of weeks. They finally got snow and cold weather and the birds left. I think that the next couple of weeks should be pretty good.

It would be nice for it to warm up 10 degrees to help my hands and ears, not to mention open up a little more water. Our flooded fields are smoken when the water is open.

#391880 - 11/28/07 02:21 PM Re: Open duck hunting spot. [Re: ProfessorG]
D3Smartie Offline

exactly. They needed the snow to cover the food and kick the birds down. Now they're here and we need a little warmer weather. \:\)
It was damn cold last week. I hope it isnt that cold again, i would love to see a good Chinook blow through or atleast some wind, any wind... seems like it hasnt blown at all this year.

#391900 - 11/28/07 02:54 PM Re: Open duck hunting spot. [Re: D3Smartie]
ProfessorG Offline
Returning Adult

It blew like crazy yesterday. This actuall broke up a lot of the ice that was it the shallow coves on the rivers. It actually blew this morning until about 8, then it was like a switch was turned off. Didn't matter. We had already shot out limits. We got a bonus wood duck today. Not that wood ducks are all that rare (we actually shoot a lot of them). The one today was banded. I have only seen this one other time in 22 years of duck hunting.

#391906 - 11/28/07 03:17 PM Re: Open duck hunting spot. [Re: D3Smartie]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Nice job PG! You too Dave.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chad Lee, fish_hunter, Grady 265, pimpinshrimp, Stew, xflyzguy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1229 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645416 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |