Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#392856 - 12/02/07 01:32 PM Northwest Fishing TV Shows
ramrodncf Offline
Parr

Loc: Redmond, WA
Well it looks like another Northwest Fishing show has been removed from the air.
The best of “Fishing the West” ran on the Fox Sports Northwest channel for quite a long time but has now been take’ in off. I emailed their web site and they told me they had no plans to put it back on the air any time soon. They also said that the show was not available on DVD either. So I guess another one bites the dust.
I’m glad I got about 47 of these shows burned to DVD before they pulled the plug on them.
Hawg Quest seems to be the only Northwest Fishing show still being aired and I hope they stay around awhile.
I was going through some of my old VHS tapes and I found about 8 hours of a show from 1991 called “Fishing illustrated Northwest”. It was a cool show where they would have local fishing experts come in to their studio and demonstrate fishing techniques. I recall one of the guest was Dick Johnson of Kingston Tackle fame. I managed to get all of these programs edited down to two DVD’s.
The TV show that I would love to find, but it remains a mystery is the “Outdoors Sportsman” that stared Jim Conway. I would like to find out who hold the rights to these old films and push for them to release these to DVD.
Does anyone remember these old shows ?
Does anyone remember some other Northwest Fishing shows ?

Don
Pacific Northwest Fishing Golden Years (Web Site)

#392871 - 12/02/07 02:52 PM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: ramrodncf]
lovetofish365 Offline
Hahahaha haha ha

Loc: Silverdale WA
wow...very interesting...we missed Hawg Quest because some of our channels are not working due to the snow...i enjoyed watching the shows afterwords...we just got back from Mexico with the guys from Hawg Quest, that show should air in Jan i think...it was a blast!! too bad they are not showing that anymore...im not sure it was on last week after Hawg Quest...hope they have a few more NW Shows...c

#392930 - 12/02/07 06:39 PM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: lovetofish365]
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
I was wondering what happened to Fishing the West. Hawg Quest is all we have left and I look forward to watching it every Sunday that I am not out fishing.

#392952 - 12/02/07 08:37 PM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: Idaho Mike]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
I remember Conway's shows - Very long time ago, he huffed and puffed in the mike a lot which obviously left and impression on me since I still remember that a lot of us used to imitate him.

Anything we do to preserve the history of NW fishing is worthy of everyone's support. For every Conway, ther are 1000 others who we've lost without any documentation of their legacy. Other shows of that vintage - I don't remember any. Larry came later and was always a bit of a joke since he seemed like such a dweeb, but i still watched every one I could, so maybe I'm the dweeb.

#392969 - 12/02/07 10:21 PM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: milt roe]
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
From what I understand possibly Joe's or GI Joe's did not renew their sponsorhip for fishing the west? Might be a question for the new owners of Joes.

Edited by Fishinnut (12/02/07 10:21 PM)
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#392995 - 12/03/07 12:26 AM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: Fishinnut]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

Loc: on the water
WOW I had not heard they got pulled thats to bad i just spoke with larry a few weeks ago.. That man is the reason I am here today and fishing for a living. I had the chance to guide him for a week this summer and is the coolest guy I have ever met.

#393003 - 12/03/07 01:08 AM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: cowlitzkiller]
talljeeper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia
Thanks for posting that site...very cool!

#393235 - 12/03/07 08:01 PM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: talljeeper]
roosterdoonchick Offline
Smolt

Loc: duvall
i would love to have your copys of dvd,s at any cost p.m. me thx

#393244 - 12/03/07 08:22 PM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: roosterdoonchick]
Yakutat Jack Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I remember ol' Jim Conway and the huffing and puffing in the mic, must have had a cardiac condition! I also remember him calling to his son, "Stevo", all the time. That show jump started my fishin' career and I remember ads for the show in my early Northwest Fishing Guide books.
I know it was a KOMO TV 4 show like some other classics. Here is a link below to Captain Puget who also did Exploration Northwest if you remember that one. I know Don McCune's wife Linda is still active and writes a column (can't remember her e-mail address). She also has all the tapes of shows Don did. But I bet if you contacted KOMO TV and got connected with their archives or somehow contacted Linda you could get some answers how to get access to Outdoor Sportsman.

http://historyink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=3468

#393262 - 12/03/07 09:27 PM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: Yakutat Jack]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
Don McCune's wife is at different boat shows and sportsman's shows with dvd copies of the programs. Don was Captain Puget when he had a kid's show in the '50's.
Has anyone seen the two Canadian women, shelley and Courtney, that have a fishing show? I don't know if they are still on or not up north, eh?
I watched them on cable when we lived in B'ham:
http://canoe.ca/catchfishing2007/shelley_courtney.html

#393272 - 12/03/07 10:45 PM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: Chuck E]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
shelley and Courtney Rock.

Sucks about fishing the west. Used to be a family tradition Sunday afternoons in Portland during the original airings when our whole family mom, five kids, dog and all would gather round the TV and watch that show. Was the seed for many a fishing trip.

#393338 - 12/04/07 09:44 AM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: OceanSun]
ramrodncf Offline
Parr

On one of the Fishing the West shows that I did get to DVD, Larry’s guide for the show was Jim Conway, it was very cool to see him on TV again.
I have also got some old Salmon Trout & Steelheader magazine 1967-1968 time period where Jim wrote an article as well.
There was a book that Jim Conway came out with years ago on some of his fishing adventures TV shows. It is called “Fishin’ Holes” and there are quite a few used copies out there if someone is interested in getting one. You can send me an email through my web site link and I will see if I can locate one for you.

Pacific Northwest Fishing Golden Years (Web Site)

I remember Jim huff’in and puff’in as well back then, but if you saw a picture of the big old microphone he had to lug around his neck you would understand why, it looked like a studio microphone (old school style). Back in the 1960’s when they filmed this show there was not to much “portable equipment” available, so I guess they did the best they could with the stuff they had to use.
Jim was defiantly a pioneer in the field of TV fishing Shows.
Exploration Northwest was another great show with host Don McCune, I think I have all of the shows available of his that involves fishing.
I do see his wife at most of the Sportsman shows and it’s fun to talk with her.
My next door neighbor worked with Don down at KOMO back in the 50’s and 60’s and he has shown me some great rare footage that he had take’ in of Don..

#393355 - 12/04/07 11:16 AM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: ramrodncf]
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
I just checked "Hawg Quest's"Schedule. It does not reflect the show being aired on Wednesdays. I could swear, I heard Glenn say they were going to also being aired , 2200, Wednesdays. I think, I heard him say this on NW CAll of the
Wild, last Saturday. morning.

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#393476 - 12/04/07 04:39 PM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: Phoenix77]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Ramrod,

I think that Wally Pease in Yakima did a show for a while some years ago.

Linda should be at the Evergreen Sportsman's Show in Monroe in late February.

Seems to me that she has a web site, which I'm sure would show up in an internet search. It probably is http://www.donmccune.com?

I have a few copies of Fishing Holes Magazine from the early 1980 that I'd be happy to give you for your collection.

I also have several issues of Western Outdoors from the mid to late 1960's that contain PNW articles which I wrote when I was a contributor and field editor so many years ago. I wouldn't want to part with those, but I could scan some of the articles and make PDF files which I could burn a CD for your historical collection.

#393622 - 12/05/07 08:55 AM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: Sebastes]
talljeeper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia
HQ multi airs start in Jan I believe

#393645 - 12/05/07 12:48 PM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: Sebastes]
ramrodncf Offline
Parr

Oh yes ! Fishing Holes magazine, I’ve got to tell you a short story.
I subscribed to a local Magazine from out of Duval I believe that was called "FISHING MAPS & SUCH" in the early 70’s. I paid for a year’s subscription of it and the damn thing went out of publication leaving me high and dry.
Within a year or two after that happened this "NEW" Magazine called "Fishing Holes" started out with the same Editor and owner that "FISHING MAPS & SUCH" had.
Well I was down at the Seattle Sportsman Show and low and behold "Fishing Holes" had a booth there. I ripped into the Editor about getting ripped off on his earlier publication, well I guess it worked cause he gave me a free one year subscription to "Fishing Holes".
I guess it pay to bitch a little.
I still have my copies of "FISHING MAPS & SUCH" and they seem to be a very rare collectors piece.
Anyone else out there ever see or have any of these ?

#393745 - 12/05/07 05:00 PM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: ramrodncf]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
I don't think that John Thomas, Terry Sheely and Milt Kaiser actually owned Fishing Maps, but were the staff.

After it folded they started Fishing Holes on their own, but it struggled financially from the get-go and eventually they had to sell ownership to pay the printing bill.

It struggled along under new ownership (twice) until finally folding.

It seems to me that Dave Vedder's first magazine article was done for Fishing Holes.

John Thomas passed away from cancer several years ago. He was working for Luhr-Jensen at the time. Milt Kaiser is retired and living in Carnation. Terry Sheely is still one of the PNW's most active writers and publisher of the Washington State Fishing Guide.

#393815 - 12/05/07 07:52 PM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: Sebastes]
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

I loved the Fishin Holes magazine when I was growing up in the 1980s. Very nice articles, especially salt and freshwater writeups for the bankbound angler.

Sebastes: I remember your lure company from the about the same time in the 1980s. The "balanced" jighead for bottomfish with curltail worm (it would stand upright while sinking) was the first lure that I ever owned--I got it through some sort of free offer ad in the Fishin Holes magazine, I think. I also remember getting other free Sebastes jig heads/worms through ads in the magazine.

#393825 - 12/05/07 08:18 PM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: cheapskate]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
I love this topic! I am always on the lookout for old books that capture the "glory days" of sports fishing. Here are some that I have:

I have a pretty complete STS going back to 1977 and have Fishing Holes back from Volume 1. We could probably put a pretty good show among all of us.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#393838 - 12/05/07 09:01 PM Re: Northwest Fishing TV Shows [Re: eddie]
ramrodncf Offline
Parr

eddie: you have got some great stuff there. I also have the "Pacific Northwest Steelhead" magazine from 1955. It has the earliest Fenwick ad in it that I have ever seen.
Another great story in it is about Buzz Fiorini with his limit of BC Steelhead, an 18.5 pound, 20 pound and 21.5 pound fish. not a bad day on the river.
I have attacted a link if you would like to read a little more on the birth of Fenwick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1103 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |