Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#400189 - 12/28/07 08:41 PM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: ]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
 Originally Posted By: deerslayer
my buddie has 7 cases of black talons for 40.cal and 7 cases for 9mm. and he wont let me have OR buy any.

Does your buddy think he is going to have to protect himself that much?

This is an interesting thread. I know nothing about bullets.

#400257 - 12/28/07 11:06 PM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: Rocket Red]
Big_Daddy
Unregistered

RvW...... Are you making fun of me??

#400264 - 12/29/07 12:30 AM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
 Originally Posted By: Big_Daddy

Only if you're scared of guns.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#400265 - 12/29/07 12:35 AM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: RowVsWade]
Big_Daddy
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: RowVsWade
 Originally Posted By: Big_Daddy

Only if you're scared of guns.

I just know so little about them. LOL

Maybe Blades would teach me..

#400267 - 12/29/07 12:47 AM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

LOL. You have owned most of the firearms produced...and if not it is probably on the list.

I don't think Blades could teach you anything you would want to be taught.

#400269 - 12/29/07 12:51 AM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: RowVsWade]
Big_Daddy
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: RowVsWade
LOL. You have owned most of the firearms produced...and if not it is probably on the list.

I don't think Blades could teach you anything you would want to be taught.

Just having fun here.

Hope you and the family had a good Christmas.

Back on topic....

RvW has got it right, RBCD Performance Plus.

#400273 - 12/29/07 12:57 AM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

We had a great Christmas. I hope Jordan had santa bring him a 23' fat bottom. (wink)

Happy New Year Big Daddy to you and your great bunch. I hope the New Year brings you all health and prosperity.

#400290 - 12/29/07 03:27 AM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: Rocket Red]
deerslayer
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Rocket Red
 Originally Posted By: deerslayer
my buddie has 7 cases of black talons for 40.cal and 7 cases for 9mm. and he wont let me have OR buy any.

Does your buddy think he is going to have to protect himself that much?

This is an interesting thread. I know nothing about bullets.

no he got a good deal on 20 cases for each caliber, and you would never guess where and how much. you guys wouldnt believe me even if you were there with us when he baught them lol...

he just uses them for target shooting...cause he is badass like that. lol and a moron.

#400294 - 12/29/07 05:04 AM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: ]
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

I've fired the 23 and the 22, both were fun, but no Glocks for this household. I prefer a real safety. Calling a trigger a safety seems retarded. I want to be sure that if the lady is threatened and the adrenalin is flowing, she doesn't squeeze a round off into her own leg or gut trying to pull and draw on some ahole. I want every part of the process to be deliberate.

The money is set aside, now the decision is whether to pick up one Kimber Pro CDP II for about a 1K, or pick up two Pro Carry's for a few hundred more than the cost of the one CDP. And time to look for a holster that'll fit and be functional when we're wearing waders.

Off topic...Can there be anything more American than a liberal packing a gun? God Bless our Founding Fathers.

#400295 - 12/29/07 05:14 AM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: VHawk.]
deerslayer
Unregistered

they have a slide lock that replaces that shitty "trigger" lock on the glocks. i ordered one the other day.

its the same thing thats on it. but it has a little push slide that slides into place on the trigger. its very nice.

glocks are a very safe gun...

personaly though as nice and a glock is. and they are rather cheap with tones of mods.

i would much rather have a springfield xd. those are some damn fine guns and at just over $400 they are a great deal.

but i know you said you wanted a couple kimbers. and i dont blame you. i love kimbers. if i had the cash i would jump all over one or two. the ultra carries are so nice. and at only 25oz's they are light.

#400296 - 12/29/07 05:18 AM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: ]
deerslayer
Unregistered

btw glocks have 3 safeties...but they all disengage with the trigger safety. which imp is very very retarded...but the one thing i really do like about them is there is not hammer to get snagged on anything. so for that gun to go off you need to pull the trigger...and i have messed with mine alot and you need to have the trigger safetly fully pulled plush with the trigger or the gun will not fire.

but like i said also they are retarded and im with you on that one. i dont like it much either. lol

if you got the money spring for 2 ultra carry's. thats what i would do...they are awesome guns. and a true pleasure to shoot.

#400297 - 12/29/07 05:26 AM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: ]
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks for the info deerslayer. I'll keep it in mind. How much did the Ultra Carry's run you?

#400315 - 12/29/07 11:31 AM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: VHawk.]
deerslayer
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: VHawk

Thanks for the info deerslayer. I'll keep it in mind. How much did the Ultra Carry's run you?

oh no i dont have one YET...i said if i had the money i would get one...well i will get one or two in the near future.

the cheapest i have seen them anywhere has been around $830...my buddie has 11 kimbers and he says and i quote"if you can kind come for under $1000 you better jump on it cause thats one hell of a deal" and thats the 1911 style.

tahts [censored] though cause ultra carries are under $900 at most places, and cdp's i have also seen for rigth arond $900 aswell.

sportsmans whare house is abut $50-100 cheaper then anywhere i have found so far with their prices on handguns. dont overlook them.

#400361 - 12/29/07 03:04 PM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: ]
Rafterman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Backwoods of Kentucky
I call your Kimber and raise you one Colt 70 series Combat Commander L/W
Which is 30+ years old I might add.

Edited by Rafterman (12/29/07 03:56 PM)

#400364 - 12/29/07 03:16 PM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: Rafterman]
Rafterman Offline
Spawner

BTW, I like the Kimbers as well. Nice pistols. Kimber has taken features that in the past would cost you a fortune to have added to your Government Model pistol and put them all in a quality production gun that everyone can enjoy.

Way back when, I bought a "plain jane" 1911 colt and had it customized to the tune of $2,000 . New Wilson match barrel, full length guide rod, match trigger, sear, hammer, extended thumb safety, high ride grip safety, lowered/flared ejection port...etc...etc.

Granted, all those parts were hand fitted and installed by an old gunsmith with decades of experience. In a Kimber you can have those same features for the price of a factory pistol.

Edited by Rafterman (12/29/07 04:38 PM)

#400381 - 12/29/07 04:14 PM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: Rafterman]
Rafterman Offline
Spawner

Or how about a L/W Compact Springfield Armory 1911 that's been tuned up:

An alloy frame Compact .45 Hot Rod. I don't what would scare the intruder the most. The noise, the fireball, or the incoming 230 grain balls of lead.

The very short barrels on these pistols has the unwanted drawback of increased muzzle lift and increased muzzle flash. It's a slight increase over the 5" barreled 1911's, but an increase nonetheless.

I can put more rounds downrange faster and more accurately with a longer barrel 45 than I can the compacts. But you cant beat their size for discreet carry.

#400386 - 12/29/07 04:34 PM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: Rafterman]
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

The Kimber will be for carry, not for home use. For home use there is a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 sitting by the bed. The rule of the house is to reach for that first in case of a break in. With consideration of safety as primary, I think I should also be spending some money to put a real hardcore door on the bedroom and make that the safe room. Better for her to barricade herself behind a door with a shotgun, than go try and clear the house out on her own.

Of course being a guy, if I'm at home I'm going to go and greet my uninvited guests.

#400389 - 12/29/07 04:42 PM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: VHawk.]
Rafterman Offline
Spawner

We think alike on the home defense. Nothing beats a 12 gauge pump for intimidation factor. Just something about that unmistakable sound of the action racking on a 12 gauge. It is a universal sound that knows no language barriers.

#400403 - 12/29/07 06:43 PM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: Rafterman]
deerslayer
Unregistered

those are some good looking colts.

i seen quite a few really nice ones for around $600 at bullseye in tacoma. vhawk you may want to check them out to save a little if you are planning on purchasing to guns. they were used but you couldnt tell at all.

#400426 - 12/29/07 08:56 PM Re: personal defense rounds? [Re: ]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
For Carry Ive used a 9mm, a Ruger 45LC and most recently a S&W Airweight .38 sp

For the 9mm it was brass 124 gr +P HP's, the 45LC had 300gr Bear Loads, and the .38 has +P HP's as well.

Now for HOME protection, nothing beats a Kalishnikov AK-47 with Radium nightsights, which when cocked makes and even louder ratchet than my Remington 870 Express Magnum. But if I'm feeling old-fashioned, there's always my Bayoneted 6.5mm Husqvarna Mauser, which, weighing it at about 15 lbs, makes a good hand-to-hand melee weapon as well as being a flat shooter.

I wouldn't even bother with the crappy little .22 plinkers.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish Lady, onthefly, overkill45
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 987 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28169
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13519
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63770 Topics
645260 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |